Review: Fiio E7
Nov 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #241 of 548

Quote:
Hi!

I am sorry but you seem to disagree with Clieos. Not saying he has "the Word" but he says the s:flo competes with under 100 portable amplifier. 
Since E7 has the E5 amplifier I don't understand how you have the authority to say that.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/466262/review-nationite-s-flo

Quote:
The S:Flo2/Teclast T51's internal headphone amp is pretty much useless except for high efficiency headphones or IEMs. It's line-out provides a very hot signal, which is the key strength of this DAP.  If you have inefficient or high impedance headphones, something like an E7 will be great to go with the T51.

Jack

I guess my observation does disagree with ClieOS. The T51 I have has a weak headphone out, to the point where only my low impedance headphones produce enough volume. Add to the fact that the T51 has rolled-off highs and is down by over 3dB at 20kHz, I don't think it is comparable to headphone amps under $100. In fact, according to RMAA measurements, both the E7 and E5 bests the HO on the T51 in terms of frequency response, noise, THD, and dynamic range; while T51 is better at IMD and crosstalk.

The key strength of the T51 is its LO - I thought this was common knowledge?

Jack

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #242 of 548
well it is not.
In fact clieos and some other experienced audiophiles I know put the headphone out of the s:flo at the level of ibasso t4

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #243 of 548
I am not sure what you are getting at. I expressed some subjective opinion about the HO of the T51 and provided measurement evidence as well. If some other listeners happen to have different opinions from me, I don't see how that makes anyone's observations less valid. It's natural for different people to have different opinions about something as personal as sound, so I don't think you are going to see the kind of argument between me and ClieOS et al that you are aiming for.

Jack

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #244 of 548
I am just trying to let people know that the s:flo output is at par with under 100 USD amplifiers, and it as dual dac which is better than the one on the E7

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #245 of 548
I don't think it's healthy to base such a definitively worded assertion purely on hearsay. The E7 is not a DAP and the T51 is not a headphone amp, there aren't any usage scenarios where one can be considered a substitutes to the other. So i don't feel the comparison is apt.  If you are saying that the HO of the T51 is as good as what you can get from its LO plus something like the E7, then this is in conflict with readily available objective facts. My ears also indicate that T51 LO->AMP is better than T51 HO, but that's a subjective observation. 

Jack

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #246 of 548
Any thought on using this puppy to power some AKG 142's?

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #247 of 548

Quote:
e7 is not intended to power k701, you may need to go to e9
Quote:
has anyone ever tried this with the k702? (i'm not gonna actually use them with the e7, i already have a desktop amp, i just need something that makes them sound good (not excellent) when i'm not home) 

Do you mean it's not gonna get the best of it or its just gonna do basically nothing?

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #248 of 548

Quote:
Quote:
e7 is not intended to power k701, you may need to go to e9
Quote:
has anyone ever tried this with the k702? (i'm not gonna actually use them with the e7, i already have a desktop amp, i just need something that makes them sound good (not excellent) when i'm not home) 

Do you mean it's not gonna get the best of it or its just gonna do basically nothing?

Its a portable amp so it might not have the current to power such big cans. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #249 of 548
Quote:

It will power them, just not well. Hell, an iPod can get sound to come out of them. It's misleading because they're only 70ohm drivers or something but they need some serious power behind them to shine - people who dislike the 701/2 often seem to be not amping them properly.

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #250 of 548
I feel qualified to comment on this, as I have both the E7 and E9 and K702's (exact same as K701 except for color and cord).
At higher volumes, the E7 does not drive the K702s well. This is only an issue at higher volume when the bass hits. So, if you're not a bass head, and you're not listening at loud levels, then its fine. (at bass +0 its fine at max vomule)
However, I do think that the E9 adds quite a bit to the overall presentation. In fact, the E7+E9 sounds fantastic and has more than enough power for the K702s.
So, in my opinion, I would get both the E7 and the E9 provided you have enough cash.
The K702 / K701 really takes some power to drive at higher volumes.
In sum, if you're short on cash and only have $100 to spend, you're going to have a hard time finding an proper DAC/Amp period. You might as well pony up the additional $100 to get a solid set up [E7 + E9]

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #251 of 548
I've been listening thru the E7 for 2 days at work now. HP = Ultrasone Pro750 (modded a bit). I got a WD Passport Essentials USB Hard Drive at Costco, formatted it FAT32, copied my iTunes Library to it, installed Foobar portable, and now I have a really decent audio setup at work using my crappy Thinkpad laptop.

(And wow USB hard drives have come a long way. It's tiny, fast, spacious 750GB, and no problems using bus power from a single port on my MacBook, MacPro, the Thinkpad - and even runs well off USB OTG on my Chinese ChuWi PMP.)

I'm very impressed with the E7. It's not quite my home setup, but now at work I have a very credible & pleasurable listening experience that doesn't feel like going from a Mercedes to a grocery cart. On that scale, it's like a Mercedes to a Chrysler 300. Not jarring at all. Actually quite nice.  Before the E7, plugging into the laptop jack was a harsh, scratchy, experience. Could only listen to spoken word or music very, very, softly as elevator music.

This little device is very well built, very well-priced, and serves admirably as a portable oxygen tank for a spoiled audiophile forced out of his wired sanctuary to earn the bucks. And I was shocked that it "just worked" with our company mandated Windows XP installation. Great little machine.

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #252 of 548

Quote:
I feel qualified to comment on this, as I have both the E7 and E9 and K702's (exact same as K701 except for color and cord).
At higher volumes, the E7 does not drive the K702s well. This is only an issue at higher volume when the bass hits. So, if you're not a bass head, and you're not listening at loud levels, then its fine. (at bass +0 its fine at max vomule)
However, I do think that the E9 adds quite a bit to the overall presentation. In fact, the E7+E9 sounds fantastic and has more than enough power for the K702s.
So, in my opinion, I would get both the E7 and the E9 provided you have enough cash.
The K702 / K701 really takes some power to drive at higher volumes.
In sum, if you're short on cash and only have $100 to spend, you're going to have a hard time finding an proper DAC/Amp period. You might as well pony up the additional $100 to get a solid set up [E7 + E9]

Why are you surprised that it distorts with the bass up to max?
confused.gif

To me the E7 does what it says on the tin pretty well. It does a creditable job of driving the 600-ohm T1's (all right, they're pretty efficient 600-ohm) as well. Actually slightly less fond of performance with low-impedance phones and IEM's in particular, but for the money I think it's excellent.

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #253 of 548
just out of curiosity. I read somewhere where a guy said he was able to power his beyerdynamic T1's with the E7. He didn't mention how well but just that he was able to do it. Would I be able to power my DT770 600ohm with the E7 as well? I just ordered it with the E9 but a curious in case I want to go portable what options I have.

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #254 of 548
lol sorry i just came in from page 1of this review and posted my reply there but now that i am at the last page i noticed the post above mine :)

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #255 of 548
Yea it powers them to a decent volume level.
Theres a difference for bass for harder to drive headphones. I'd reccomend getting an E9 too for harder to drive phones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back