Review: Fiio E7
Mar 2, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #392 of 548
[size=small]I’m new still to head-fi and admitting I’m audiophile geek on my way to having a collection and working toward super-geekdom.  Im sitting here in the Seattle airport on a stop to Chicago.  I just bought and received my Fiio E9 and E7 this week.  For this trip I had planned on using my newly ordered Audio Technica ATH-M50s that I ordered over night last Friday from Ace Photo Digital thru amazon and did not get in time before I left today…. Bleh.  Instead I brought with me my IE beats that were given to me as a gift.  I really don’t like IEM’s as NONE of them fit and I know what the general feeling is for monster beats equipment in general but anyway, they were free.  I just wanted to add to this review of the E7.  Beast is the first word that comes to mind. Even though I’m new to this world of audio and I’m using these beats, I’m still happy on these flights.  I’m using the E7 with my iPhone and it is sick.  I have the biggest package of different size tips you have ever seen for IEM and I’m making it work.  The E7 is pumping every song in a way that wishes I had loaded more music on my phone before I left.  [/size]
[size=small]In the end I look forward to the day that I can have a collection of amps both portable and desktop but for now this is the best $100 I’ve spent in a while.  On a side note, I called Ace Photo Digital to get some shipping info yesterday and they said my M50s were to ship then and I would have had them today.  When they didn’t come I called them for an update and they said they shipped today.  I expressed disappointment as I would be gone out of town and wanted them for this trip before I got off the phone.  While at my home airport I received an email from the associate that I spoke to telling me to let her know when I get home and get the phones as she was going to credit me for the overnight shipping to ground price![/size]

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #393 of 548
I got my E7 about a month ago, 50 hours or so in and it is sounding good paired up with my Ipad and my Grados!

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #394 of 548
I just received my E7 yesterday and it's a good step up from my onboard sound on my laptop. I have a couple questions though:

1. Does the E7 run on battery when plugged in via USB with USB Charge off?
2. Is the DAC only usable when plugged into my laptop via USB?
3. I cannot seem to find the "Total Run Time" on my E7. I scrolled through the menu a couple times but haven't seen it yet. Is it hidden somewhere else?

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #395 of 548

Quote:
I just received my E7 yesterday and it's a good step up from my onboard sound on my laptop. I have a couple questions though:

3. I cannot seem to find the "Total Run Time" on my E7. I scrolled through the menu a couple times but haven't seen it yet. Is it hidden somewhere else?

1. I believe it does, yes.
2. The DAC only works through USB
3. Go to: "System Run" >> "Run Time".. voila.

Mar 3, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #397 of 548

Quote:

1. No! Unless you are using AUX. It is powered by the computer when you use the DAC+amp, regardless of the USB charge status.

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #399 of 548
The point is that E7 no longer acts as a portable device; it becomes a desktop device like any other USB powered gadgets. It is also good for the longevity of the battery, if you don't constantly charge the battery when you are not going to take it out. That's whyit is best to turn the charge off unless it is necessary to have a fully charged battery.

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #401 of 548
Have you heard that a LOD for E7, called L7, will be released very soon around time when E11 is out?

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #402 of 548
i just got mine yesterday! its pretty cool although it just sounds similar as my htr5650 which supports 24/96, but iono if the resolution alone beats fiio E7. but anyways im keeping this, for transportable/portable use ^_^ ill use this until i can get my hands on those E17 that will support 24/96 hopefully ill have a job until then. 

E7 looked really cool in person tho! does it need burn-in too like the headphones? 

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #403 of 548
I was just wondering about the volume settings you guys use. I just picked up an E7 (used from another head-fier, woot!), and I'm using it solely plugged in as a USB DAC. I tried both AD700s and Shure SRH840s - in both cases, setting the volume to 1 (yes, one) on the E7 put them at slightly louder than I usually listen to music. Is that normal, or is something on my PC configured strangely?

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #404 of 548
Quote:
I was just wondering about the volume settings you guys use. I just picked up an E7 (used from another head-fier, woot!), and I'm using it solely plugged in as a USB DAC. I tried both AD700s and Shure SRH840s - in both cases, setting the volume to 1 (yes, one) on the E7 put them at slightly louder than I usually listen to music. Is that normal, or is something on my PC configured strangely?

Unless you usually listen to extremely low volume, I don't think that's normal. I have to use about volume 10~12 and can easily go up to 20 for my AD700. You might want to check all your software setting.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #405 of 548
Some audio decoders have a volume normalisation of up to 400%, so you might want to use either foobar2000 or diable all the extra processing done to your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back