Review: Fashion vs. Function-Phiaton MS400, B&W P5, Monster Beats Solo, V-Moda Crossfade, Sony XB700, HD25-1
Feb 10, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #106 of 187
I do not believe the D1100 is anything like the beats.  Clarity is significantly nicer, bass is much bigger and of a higher quality and the stage is much deeper sounding.  :)

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #107 of 187
Would you say that those denons have more bass than the ATH M50? Those just didn't have enough.

Quote:
I do not believe the D1100 is anything like the beats.  Clarity is significantly nicer, bass is much bigger and of a higher quality and the stage is much deeper sounding.  :)

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #108 of 187

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Because the OP said the bass of the M50 and MS400 isn't night and day. He said the Crossfade has more bass but a bit less quality. My biggest concern is bass so thos emight be my best bet... I don't know what other headphones to get for big bass under $200.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you would consider the Crossfades after reading this and other reviews.

Also, I am very hesitant to purchase the Phiaton's after repeated reference to how they make one's ears hot and sweaty. I wish someone could just design a smaller HD650 that is open, easily-driven by an iPod, and doesn't try to pretend to be DJ Headphones. My search continues....

you can try out the denon d1100. Ive read that they are like beats but better in every way. ive also seen a comparison that compares it to the phiaton with the denon winning but unfortunately i cannot find that thread.

The D1100 is closed-back.

i was replying to slapshot who was looking for a big bass portable can under 200

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #109 of 187

Quote:
Would you say that those denons have more bass than the ATH M50? Those just didn't have enough.

Quote:

I think the M50 bass is more impacting, but the D1100 has a deeper reaching bass that is always present no matter how I EQ my settings heh.  And yes, I think a bass head would love them, right out of my sansa clip they sound excellent and with enough bass to shake my eyes :]  oh and also they should be easily woodied, as the back plate is easily unscrewed off.  It was something I wanted to do with mine but was not sure if i actually should invest in that heh

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #110 of 187
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I think the M50 bass is more impacting, but the D1100 has a deeper reaching bass that is always present no matter how I EQ my settings heh.  And yes, I think a bass head would love them, right out of my sansa clip they sound excellent and with enough bass to shake my eyes :]  oh and also they should be easily woodied, as the back plate is easily unscrewed off.  It was something I wanted to do with mine but was not sure if i actually should invest in that heh

you have owned the phiaton ms400s before right? how would you compare them to the denons?

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #111 of 187
Glad you asked!  If you check out my review of the D1100, you will see that what the ms400 lacks, the D1100 actually has.

I think sound quality is equal but the bass quality on the denon is thicker. ( then again the ms400 is $250 and the Denon is only $120 ) but not significantly so.  Both of them are very comfortable and light, but I give the edge to the phiaton due to it being smaller and having softer pads.

The problem with the phiaton is the soundstage, it doesnt have one.  It heavily lacks staging and immersion.  The Denon has plenty of it but its not that wide sounding, stage size is average but depth in stage is excellent.  It also has a few harsh highs on only vocals and the phiaton never had that problem.  The denon has more bass.   The denons are great for classical and with a great amp they sound simply incredible, where as the phiaton didnt sound significantly better with good amping.  The phiatons play everything nicely but that is due to their stage ( lack there of ) and presentation.  The denons dont handle rock as well as the phiatons but handle vocal and instrumentals significantly better.  

hope that helps, the phiaton is more well rounded and plays everything good, but nothing great.  The denon plays classical GREAT and anything with a good soundscape.  The phiaton has higher quality highs and a more forward mid range, where as the denons are kind of recessed and distant sounding.  

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #112 of 187

Quote:

Quote:
My Phiaton MS400 broke today. The left ear cup broke off at the hinge joint. The design is very weak there.

In my job as an Engineer, I design injection molded plastic parts, and this design is flawed.

They are past the 1 year warranty, so I will try to repair them myself.

Dang, i still haven't received my Phiatons and now this is scaring me. Ill probably just end up selling them then and then getting a different portable.

It's a non issue for you. I got a PM from Phiaton and they explained it was a flaw in the early design and has since been corrected. A reinforcement piece was not installed.

And they said they will repair my cans for free! I like a company that stands behind their product.

I'm glad because these are great headphones!

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #113 of 187

Quote:
Because the OP said the bass of the M50 and MS400 isn't night and day. He said the Crossfade has more bass but a bit less quality. My biggest concern is bass so thos emight be my best bet... I don't know what other headphones to get for big bass under $200.

I don't know if these would be considered "big bass" but I would check out the reviews for the Audio-Technica ESW9A.  They can be found for around $200 on Overstock. Nobody seems to have anything too negative to say about them, which is saying a lot for this site!

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #114 of 187
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know if these would be considered "big bass" but I would check out the reviews for the Audio-Technica ESW9A.  They can be found for around $200 on Overstock. Nobody seems to have anything too negative to say about them, which is saying a lot for this site!

The ESW9A is nowhere near as bassy as the MS400. Not even the same ballpark. Also, I don't remember saying that the Crossfade has 'a bit less' quality than the MS400. I thought I made it pretty clear that they sound quite poor even next to the $70 XB700.

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #115 of 187
Alright it's just that I'm not much of an audiophile and I just want fun headphones for casual listening. I've read so many reviews by normal people that say the Crossfades are great. I understand that a person like you has much more knowledge to go off of when reviewing a headphone, but I'm pretty much just a basic listener. My experience with the M50 wasn't too great because they weren't bassy enough and they weren't weren't all that fun to listen to, but I had all these people saying there was tons of bass and saying how accurate they were, I don't necesarily need accurate. I'm not going to be recording or anything with these. That's why I'm in this dilemma now. I don't know if the MS400's will be enough or if I will have to get the Crossfades and sacrifice sound quality for the bass just to fit my taste. I really wish there was somewhere I could go to try both out but there isn't...

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #116 of 187

Quote:
Alright it's just that I'm not much of an audiophile and I just want fun headphones for casual listening. I've read so many reviews by normal people that say the Crossfades are great. I understand that a person like you has much more knowledge to go off of when reviewing a headphone, but I'm pretty much just a basic listener. My experience with the M50 wasn't too great because they weren't bassy enough and they weren't weren't all that fun to listen to, but I had all these people saying there was tons of bass and saying how accurate they were, I don't necesarily need accurate. I'm not going to be recording or anything with these. That's why I'm in this dilemma now. I don't know if the MS400's will be enough or if I will have to get the Crossfades and sacrifice sound quality for the bass just to fit my taste. I really wish there was somewhere I could go to try both out but there isn't...

Well the same thing goes for skullcandy and wesc. There are tons and tons of reviews saying that they are amazing but they simply aren't. I think you should phiatons. I gave up my m50 because i was tired of not being able to use it as a portable because of their huge size and slight lack of bass. Having listened to the phiatons for awhile now, I think they have more than enough bass for me and I am a basshead myself. The phiatons are a very fun headphone to listen to. If you try out the phiatons and think there isn't enough bass then theres always the denon d1100 which have even more than the phiatons.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #117 of 187
Okay thanks. Hearing the bass on the MS400 is sufficient for one who considers themself a basshead is a good sign. Will I get the best out of them powered straight to an iPod?

Quote:
Quote:
Alright it's just that I'm not much of an audiophile and I just want fun headphones for casual listening. I've read so many reviews by normal people that say the Crossfades are great. I understand that a person like you has much more knowledge to go off of when reviewing a headphone, but I'm pretty much just a basic listener. My experience with the M50 wasn't too great because they weren't bassy enough and they weren't weren't all that fun to listen to, but I had all these people saying there was tons of bass and saying how accurate they were, I don't necesarily need accurate. I'm not going to be recording or anything with these. That's why I'm in this dilemma now. I don't know if the MS400's will be enough or if I will have to get the Crossfades and sacrifice sound quality for the bass just to fit my taste. I really wish there was somewhere I could go to try both out but there isn't...

Well the same thing goes for skullcandy and wesc. There are tons and tons of reviews saying that they are amazing but they simply aren't. I think you should phiatons. I gave up my m50 because i was tired of not being able to use it as a portable because of their huge size and slight lack of bass. Having listened to the phiatons for awhile now, I think they have more than enough bass for me and I am a basshead myself. The phiatons are a very fun headphone to listen to. If you try out the phiatons and think there isn't enough bass then theres always the denon d1100 which have even more than the phiatons.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #118 of 187

Quote:
Okay thanks. Hearing the bass on the MS400 is sufficient for one who considers themself a basshead is a good sign. Will I get the best out of them powered straight to an iPod?

Quote:
Quote:

Im not sure how much these will improve with an amp because I don't own one but I run my headphones straight out of my ipod and I think they sound great. But before you go out and get the phiatons definitely consider the Denons too. The Denons have more bass than the Phiatons and can be found for a lot cheaper than the Phiatons. The Denons run around $100 and the Phiatons run around $175 I think. Luckily I got mine for $140 which I think is an amazing deal.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #119 of 187
Okay thanks. I think I might make a poll to get other basshead opinions on all the recommendations I've gotten.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #120 of 187

Quote:
Quote:

The ESW9A is nowhere near as bassy as the MS400. Not even the same ballpark. Also, I don't remember saying that the Crossfade has 'a bit less' quality than the MS400. I thought I made it pretty clear that they sound quite poor even next to the $70 XB700.

Ah great...and here I thought I had finally found my ideal audiophile portable.  If I enjoy good, fast, accurate bass, warm sound, wide soundstage, and no piercing treble in a headphone that won't look ridiculous in public....what should I be looking at? I understand the MS400's are prone to making people's "ear sweat"....definitely want to avoid that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back