Review: Fashion vs. Function-Phiaton MS400, B&W P5, Monster Beats Solo, V-Moda Crossfade, Sony XB700, HD25-1
Feb 7, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #91 of 187
If only those B&Ws were cheaper...they're pretty much my ideal headphones. They make my Audio Technica SQ5s look like cheap grocery store headphones.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #92 of 187

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBringer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Two out of the 3 P5's that the store had on display had issues where the cable had come twisted in the housing so that the earpad was not secure against the mounting.  (The earpads are secured magnetically to the housing...is this typical??)

That's like criticizing a carmaker for having a car that's been keyed on a car lot. It's not the P5's fault; the cord is easily removable, and the earpads are supposed to be held on magnetically.

I don't think the cables will stand up to very rough/heavy use.  Demo pairs at popular stores are bound to be abused.  The cable is indeed quite thin and would be prone to twisting.  I've handled/listened the P5s a few times and each time I came away not totally convinced about the ruggedness of the build.  It does appear to be luxuriously appointed though. The sound is coloured and not quite transparent enough for critical listening, but I found the sound signature quite agreeable and perfectly adequate for casual mobile listening.  Then again, many cheaper headphones are sound agreeable, but certainly aren't made of the same stuff.  I wonder how the P5s will develop with x hours of playing time. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #93 of 187
Very informative writeup, Joker! Just wondering - how come you decided a separate roundup, instead of adding it to your portable headphone shootout? Would be interested to see how the M50's compare with the Phiaton's or the P5, in your opinion.

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #94 of 187

Quote:
Very informative writeup, Joker! Just wondering - how come you decided a separate roundup, instead of adding it to your portable headphone shootout? Would be interested to see how the M50's compare with the Phiaton's or the P5, in your opinion.

These will all be added to the long portable thread in due time but I started a separate thread mostly because I wanted to compare just the fashion phones against each other. Bringing in the HD25 was actually a bit of an afterthought. I also felt the reviews would be easier to find for a newcomer in a separate thread. Head-Fi's relatively high google search rank for searches such as as "crossfade vs B&W P5" is an added bonus.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #95 of 187
My Phiaton MS400 broke today. The left ear cup broke off at the hinge joint. The design is very weak there.

In my job as an Engineer, I design injection molded plastic parts, and this design is flawed.

They are past the 1 year warranty, so I will try to repair them myself.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #96 of 187

Quote:
My Phiaton MS400 broke today. The left ear cup broke off at the hinge joint. The design is very weak there.

In my job as an Engineer, I design injection molded plastic parts, and this design is flawed.

Dang, i still haven't received my Phiatons and now this is scaring me. Ill probably just end up selling them then and then getting a different portable.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #97 of 187
Hey it's another guy who gave away their M50's like me. When you get them, would you mind telling me how the bass is on your new MS400's in terms of quantity compared to the M50's?

Quote:

Quote:

Dang, i still haven't received my Phiatons and now this is scaring me. Ill probably just end up selling them then and then getting a different portable.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #98 of 187

Quote:

Quote:

I think you should keep them. Not that I don't value roadrunner's opinion, but that's just one opinion. I've heard way more positive things about the MS 400, and this is the only failure I've heard of yet. You'd be passing by a really great headphone!

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #99 of 187

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think you should keep them. Not that I don't value roadrunner's opinion, but that's just one opinion. I've heard way more positive things about the MS 400, and this is the only failure I've heard of yet. You'd be passing by a really great headphone!

Quote:
Hey it's another guy who gave away their M50's like me. When you get them, would you mind telling me how the bass is on your new MS400's in terms of quantity compared to the M50's?

Quote:

Quote:

Ill definitely keep these headphones, they are the perfect portables for me. As for comparing the bass, these have more than the m50 but I wouldn't say its a huge step above the m50's bass. These headphones have more bass in quantity but the m50s are better in quality. THe ms400 sounds great though. I actually don't miss my m50s at all now that i heave these.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #100 of 187
Now that's what I want to hear.
biggrin.gif
 I'm ordering some headphones in a week or so. Still deciding between V Moda Crossfade or Phiaton MS400. Quantity vs. quality. Also, the white crossfades look prettyy sweet too. The black MS400's aren't too bad themselves though, the carbon fiber looks pretty slick.

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #101 of 187
I'm not sure why you would consider the Crossfades after reading this and other reviews.

Also, I am very hesitant to purchase the Phiaton's after repeated reference to how they make one's ears hot and sweaty. I wish someone could just design a smaller HD650 that is open, easily-driven by an iPod, and doesn't try to pretend to be DJ Headphones. My search continues....

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #102 of 187
Because the OP said the bass of the M50 and MS400 isn't night and day. He said the Crossfade has more bass but a bit less quality. My biggest concern is bass so thos emight be my best bet... I don't know what other headphones to get for big bass under $200.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you would consider the Crossfades after reading this and other reviews.

Also, I am very hesitant to purchase the Phiaton's after repeated reference to how they make one's ears hot and sweaty. I wish someone could just design a smaller HD650 that is open, easily-driven by an iPod, and doesn't try to pretend to be DJ Headphones. My search continues....

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #103 of 187

Quote:
Because the OP said the bass of the M50 and MS400 isn't night and day. He said the Crossfade has more bass but a bit less quality. My biggest concern is bass so thos emight be my best bet... I don't know what other headphones to get for big bass under $200.

Quote:

you can try out the denon d1100. Ive read that they are like beats but better in every way. ive also seen a comparison that compares it to the phiaton with the denon winning but unfortunately i cannot find that thread.

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #104 of 187
Quote:

Quote:

K181 DJ, two bass settings, very good isolation (at the cost of clamping) and sound quality that enters the realm of studio headphones slightly... You do not have to worry about the low end, it is impressive to say the least... An audition is recommended.

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #105 of 187

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

you can try out the denon d1100. Ive read that they are like beats but better in every way. ive also seen a comparison that compares it to the phiaton with the denon winning but unfortunately i cannot find that thread.

The D1100 is closed-back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back