Review: Fashion vs. Function-Phiaton MS400, B&W P5, Monster Beats Solo, V-Moda Crossfade, Sony XB700, HD25-1
Feb 11, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #121 of 187

Ah great...and here I thought I had finally found my ideal audiophile portable.  If I enjoy good, fast, accurate bass, warm sound, wide soundstage, and no piercing treble in a headphone that won't look ridiculous in public....what should I be looking at? I understand the MS400's are prone to making people's "ear sweat"....definitely want to avoid that.

I'm basically looking for the same thing you're looking for. I'm also a little worried about the ms400s seal since they're somewhere between a supra and circum depending how big or small your ears are. There's got to be a place where I can audition them.

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #122 of 187
Crossfades dropped to $130 on amazon. Couldn't pass up the deal. I'll let you know how they are once I get them.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #123 of 187
I hate to promote something not reviewed by joker yet, but i just got to listen to the ms400 again and compared it with the denon d1100 and i am extremely happy I stuck with the denon.  The sound quality and clarity are equals for nearly half the price with a much better stage.  I also just got to amp them with some new bravo amp with an eq on it, the sound was astonishing.  Someone for the love of all things holy send joker the D1100 :p

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #124 of 187
A question to B&W P5 owners:
Is the replaceable cable just an 1/8 inch TRS to 1/8 inch TRS cable with a mic and botton? If my P5's cable break, can I just replace it with an 1/8 inch TRS - 1/8 inch TRS?

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #126 of 187
Quote:
Is the replaceable cable just an 1/8 inch TRS to 1/8 inch TRS cable with a mic and botton? If my P5's cable break, can I just replace it with an 1/8 inch TRS - 1/8 inch TRS?

No, you can't. The headphone end of the cord has to be a slim 2.5mm (micro) connector (so even locking 2.5mm connectors like the Senn HD570/590 and Shure 840 cords would probably be a bit too thick)

Quote:
[...] the cord is detachable, with the 2.5mm connector hidden under the (magnetically-attached) left earpad. There is also a spare (iPhone) cable included with the P5s, though additional replacement cables can only be purchased from B&W as neither the Beats Solo nor V-Moda Crossfade cords will work in their stead.

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #127 of 187

Quote:
I hate to promote something not reviewed by joker yet, but i just got to listen to the ms400 again and compared it with the denon d1100 and i am extremely happy I stuck with the denon.  The sound quality and clarity are equals for nearly half the price with a much better stage.  I also just got to amp them with some new bravo amp with an eq on it, the sound was astonishing.

I'm interested... How much bigger/how portable are they, and are they as comfortable?

Also I saw that you're selling them now, why is that?

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #128 of 187
They are a little bigger than the phiatons, the headband has a little wider grip on you but they are a 8/10 in comfort.  Very light, clamp factor is low so its great for hours of listening, the earpads are not made of real leather but they are still soft.  The cup size might be a tad bigger on the denon compared to the phiaton, both are very small.  

Im selling it because I am a reviewer and enjoy the experience.  I am strongly considering not selling them, as they are just loads of fun to listen to and with proper amping sound simply incredible.  Scale up factor is immense.  What the ms400 lacks, the D1100 has plenty of.  My problem is that i dont have a real amp anymore, and I am looking for a portable set that is even smaller than this ( something like the esw9 ) that is little less bassy.  With proper EQ, the D1100 is gold, with a half decent amp, its the best portable I've ever used.

I dont want to take the ms400s thunder away, but the denon seems like the better choice to me.  I think after you mentioned I was selling it, I got kind of upset with myself that I wanted to sell it.  I really want to keep them.  I recently plugged them into a friends MKII and my face went from -_-  to O.o in a second

a pic for size comparison with a sansa clip.  They are definitely small, obviously not as small as the ESW9 or es7 or something like that, but the ms400 and the denon are close to the same size but the denons pads are fully circumaurial, but not as soft as the phiaton.  The phiaton has the better headband, I wish denon would have designed their band like that, simple half circle.  Outside of that, I have no gripes outside of some tinny snappy highs but with proper EQ that vanished and becomes very nice.

SUBMIT

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #129 of 187
Hey swbf2cheater how well do the denons isolate in a portable situation such as on buses and trains? Do you think the ms400s are better when it comes to that? Judging by your description of the denons I think I would love them sound wise. :)

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #130 of 187

Quote:
Quote:

No, you can't. The headphone end of the cord has to be a slim 2.5mm (micro) connector (so even locking 2.5mm connectors like the Senn HD570/590 and Shure 840 cords would probably be a bit too thick)

Quote:
[...] the cord is detachable, with the 2.5mm connector hidden under the (magnetically-attached) left earpad. There is also a spare (iPhone) cable included with the P5s, though additional replacement cables can only be purchased from B&W as neither the Beats Solo nor V-Moda Crossfade cords will work in their stead.

Sorry, I didn't saw that you wrote about the cord too. So a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable can be used as the replacement, no? I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, except that the cable is too thick or the plug that goes in the headphone is too big but I can find small, thin cables.
Anyways, I'm asking about this is because it would be great if I could get different length of cables attached to the P5.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #131 of 187
Totally, a great read!
regular_smile%20.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #132 of 187

Quote:

Quote:
I hate to promote something not reviewed by joker yet, but i just got to listen to the ms400 again and compared it with the denon d1100 and i am extremely happy I stuck with the denon.  The sound quality and clarity are equals for nearly half the price with a much better stage.  I also just got to amp them with some new bravo amp with an eq on it, the sound was astonishing.

I'm interested... How much bigger/how portable are they, and are they as comfortable?

Worth keeping in mind is that swbf2cheater is also *slightly* ocd about trying out new gear and goes through headphones faster than most of us change socks
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #133 of 187

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Worth keeping in mind is that swbf2cheater is also *extremely* ocd about trying out new gear and goes through headphones faster than most of us change socks
tongue.gif

fixed :wink:

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #134 of 187
Haha, I was only being polite
cool.gif

I have accepted the fact that I do in fact enjoy the journey more than the actual destination, and that most of my conceived notions of "better" are mostly due to changes in sound signature.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #135 of 187
I like that line "enjoying the journey more than the destination" Im going to steal that from you heh.

Until recently, it was all about just experiencing all the best sets I could find or get my hands on.  The experience was pretty amazing as each set I have owned, spoke of or reviewed sounded different.  Secretly, it was all really for research purposes :)  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back