[REVIEW] Etymotic ER4P / ER4S - The Living Legends
Jan 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #76 of 122
Quote:
Thanks ClieOS.

I'll order the ER4P next week (that's when I have the money to buy them lol), do you think if i buy the P-to-S adapter, the ZO would do the job as an amplifier? 

If you are getting the ZO v. 2, you could use the P-to-S adapter because the v.2 has an amp section.  The ZO v.1 does not, and the P-to-S adapter might add too much impedence to the ER-4P, and without sufficient power, it won't sound its best. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #77 of 122

Quote:

If you are getting the ZO v. 2, you could use the P-to-S adapter because the v.2 has an amp section.  The ZO v.1 does not, and the P-to-S adapter might add too much impedence to the ER-4P, and without sufficient power, it won't sound its best. 

That is no correct, at least not with ZO1 and ZO2.3, ZO1 does have an amp section, but with fixed gain (6dB IIRC) and no volume control. That is the only reason why you can't connect it to line-out directly as the volume will be too loud and has no way to control it. It has nothing to do with impedance. In fact, ZO1 has more power than ZO2.3.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #78 of 122
^ Well, I must have read some of the ZO threads too quickly, and associated the volume addition to the v.2 with addition of a stronger amp section -- my bad.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #79 of 122
That was exactly my idea, buy the P-to-S adapter and then an amp since my source (SGS with Voodoo Sound)  probably won't be able to drive with the S adapter. Also I need an amp to connect to headphones out since I don't have line out. The ZO does that right?

Where can I read more information about the ZO2.3?

Edit: nvm I found it

Thanks guys.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #80 of 122
Hi. Can somebody please compare with custom IEM's? I got my new Heir 4.A customs, which should be flat and neutral, but I find them muddy and with lack of heighs. I need something more airy... What should I do ? :frowning2: Would be ER4S or P good for me? thanks.

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #83 of 122
DBA-02 mk1/mk2, B2, CK10, ER4S.  You will want a deep fit with those like a good deep custom would be.  If you can't then you'll get bright and lean.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #84 of 122
Aug 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #86 of 122
By now the P to S adapter is included with the 4PT.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #88 of 122
Excellent review. I've tried some AK R01 and would stick to the etymotics, may be because I like to the all round brighter sound and tighter bass of the etymotics. I was amazed by a pair of HifiMan 500s I just tried by how spacial the music sounded but the sound just didn't have the tightness the etys have. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #89 of 122
Very nice review!

I just traded in an old pair of damaged HF3 and got a new pair of ER-4pt for $180 with adapter and the sound is totally different than the HF 3 or 5.
I really enjoyed the HF3s but the ER-4PT are at a different level. Some folks feel they sound the same but this is not true from my perspective.

I have the Custom ear tips from the HF3 and put them on the ER-4PT and the sound is amazing! wow! 

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #90 of 122
I have the er4p and the s adapter cos I brought the er4pt and so the adapter was included. Listening without the adapter was quite a disappointment even though I am just using the fiio x3 and a bunch of 24 bit 96 khz flac files. IMO the er4s is a step up and I find it a fantastic upgrade from the gr07. To me, the gr07 was nothing more than a waste of money and time. Within 2 months I brought the er4s even after 500 hrs of play time on the gr07. It didn't sound any better, I got a perfect fit ironically.

So if anyone is going to get the er4p, my advice is don't. Just go for the s and get a amp or dap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back