[REVIEW] Etymotic ER4P / ER4S - The Living Legends
Feb 17, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #106 of 122
  Hi
I try to find out if there is any difference in SQ between the ER4S and the ER4P with the converter cable.
The accuracy of the ER4S is 92% and the ER4P 86%.  Does the converter increase the accuracy of the ER4P to 92%?
Here a quote from somebody who made a comment on Amazon user reviews. It says that the S version is
efficient enough even for simple mobile players:

"The "S" version was specifically voiced to have the balance of the average pair of full range audiophile speakers, while the "P" version is skewed to be more mid-fi. The P will get louder and has boosted bass, but the S does not have less bass on a portable player than it does with a separate good amp. A separate amp can produce higher quality sound overall and get louder, but 100ohms is a breeze. In fact, I can show you electrically how 100ohms is actually easier for many portable players to produce flat bass at normal volumes with the ER4S. I have a review of portable players on AudioReview.com's forums where I test two different ones and show that 100ohms is easier and more consistent a load to drive. Very few people (outside of maybe the EU where portable devices now have output limits) would need the P's sensitivity. The main benefit, then, is for people who prefer more bass in general, not due to portable versus home useage. ER calling it the "portable" version is really a marketing strategy to target the segment that enjoys bass boost on headphones that the audiophile crowd would call flat".

Some Response:
I completely agree with Reticuli's comment. 100 ohms is actually EASIER to drive than 27 ohms. A headphone output amplifier is a voltage source, so the higher the resistance the fewer the complications and the greater the fidelity of the amplified voltage signal to the input voltage signal. And, in point of fact, a dedicated separate amplifier like a Fiio E11 (or whatever) has LOTS of resistance at its input. It's supposed to. It MAKES IT EASY TO DRIVE.
So why then do people think that 250 ohm or 600 ohm headphones are hard to drive? Because most portable players will not output HIGH ENOUGH voltage to drive 600 ohm headphones LOUDLY. But 100 ohms? Not a problem on any iDevice or Sanza or etc. I drive the ER-4S IEMS from my iPhone 5S and they can get so loud that I have a volume limit set in system preference so I don't accidentally hurt my ears. At about 5/8 ths on the slider (with no volume limit set) they are nice and loud. AND THEY SOUND INCREDIBLE, STRAIGHT OUT OF THE 5S. I'm sure a good amp (or amp + dac) could help them sound even a bit better. But I doubt it would be a big difference, and ER-4S owners in discussion threads on HeadFi have said as much.
So, DO NOT get the "p" version of the ER4's unless you want a bass heavy sound, and a reproduction that is therefore, by definition, less faithful to the source material.

Now I have to clean the milk that spewed out my nose. 
eek.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #109 of 122
I am using Er4s with my Blackberry, Output is okay, loudness is okay, quality is also okay.

I drive them at home by my ipad and Fiio E11k, their SQ increase but insignificant, about 10%. So it is almost unnoticeable if you wear them on the street.

The other factor to be concerned should be sound characteristic (bassier or not).

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #110 of 122
  I am using Er4s with my Blackberry, Output is okay, loudness is okay, quality is also okay.

I drive them at home by my ipad and Fiio E11k, their SQ increase but insignificant, about 10%. So it is almost unnoticeable if you wear them on the street.

The other factor to be concerned should be sound characteristic (bassier or not).

the er4s are slightly harder to drive because of the impedance so a amplifier is pretty much a must. the other day i was listening to my er4s out of my ipod 7th gen and i had to turn the volume up to like 75% to get decent volume. of course i have amplifiers to significantly run the er4s however if you dont, they might not sound ''bassier'' or you might get lack of charateristic's

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #111 of 122
  the er4s are slightly harder to drive because of the impedance so a amplifier is pretty much a must. the other day i was listening to my er4s out of my ipod 7th gen and i had to turn the volume up to like 75% to get decent volume. of course i have amplifiers to significantly run the er4s however if you dont, they might not sound ''bassier'' or you might get lack of charateristic's

no I mean the Er4p is bassier, and I think it is the only reason to choose over Er4s. Er4s, in my point of view, is not much harder to drive and still fine for people listen with low volume.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #112 of 122
  no I mean the Er4p is bassier, and I think it is the only reason to choose over Er4s. Er4s, in my point of view, is not much harder to drive and still fine for people listen with low volume.

well  the er4p is +10db louder than that of the er4s, if you have a amplifier that is sufficent enough to run the er4s the er4s can sound just like the er4p but with refinement. i think its the +10db is what you are hearing and the reason they are easier for you to drive. and listen to at low volumes.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #113 of 122
Thanks for the replies.

I think for the less powerful devices the ER4P is better.  Turning the volume  up to 70-80% with an ER4S is not as good for the SQ as a volume of 50% with an ER4P, correct?  The more powerful players i.e. Hifiman & iBasso will be good
for the 4S.
Regarding my original question I contacted Etymotic:  Is there a difference in SQ between the ER4S and the ER4p
with converter cable. Does the impedance increase change the 4P to a 4S?  Will the accuracy also change from 86%
( ER4P) to 92% ( ER4S ). Waiting for the reply.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #114 of 122
  Thanks for the replies.

I think for the less powerful devices the ER4P is better.  Turning the volume  up to 70-80% with an ER4S is not as good for the SQ as a volume of 50% with an ER4P, correct?  The more powerful players i.e. Hifiman & iBasso will be good
for the 4S.
Regarding my original question I contacted Etymotic:  Is there a difference in SQ between the ER4S and the ER4p
with converter cable. Does the impedance increase change the 4P to a 4S?  Will the accuracy also change from 86%
( ER4P) to 92% ( ER4S ). Waiting for the reply.

is there a difference between the er4p and er4s:yes
using the more powerful hifiman players and ibasso amps will play the er4p/s easier: yes
the impedance increases when you use the converter cable:yes
will the accuracy of the er4p accuracy of the er4p go from 86% to 92%:yes

using the converter cable makes the er4p/s harder to drive and thus you will need a more powerful player or amplifier to fully get what you are looking for out of them

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #116 of 122
Has anyone tried the ER4S with Hifiman HM-700 balanced? Really curious on that pairing, I appreciate any feedback.

Have you been able to find an answer for this question elsewhere? I myself am contemplating a new dap and ER4P in an year or so. I was so content and happy with my HF5 that I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with ER4P for long time to come. These views here only solidify my belief. So, I would like to purchase a dap that has good synergy with this. I'm looking at Fiio X1, Xduoo X3 and Colorfly C3.

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #117 of 122
Are there any other threads on these IEMs?
I read from some other reviews (not on headfi) that its not good for those of us who have "wet " ears. I have trouble wearing IEM's for a long time due to that and people said that these go very deep into the canal.
How true is this?

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #118 of 122
Are there any other threads on these IEMs?
I read from some other reviews (not on headfi) that its not good for those of us who have "wet " ears. I have trouble wearing IEM's for a long time due to that and people said that these go very deep into the canal.
How true is this?

The main ER4 discussion thread, for both old and new models, is here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you.538615/

By 'wet' ear, do you mean you have a lot of ear wax? If that's the case, I generally won't recommend you using IEM at all, regardless of the depth of insertion, unless you can keep your ear canal very clean.

Sep 2, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #119 of 122

Users who are viewing this thread

Back