[ REVIEW / COMPARISON ] Two Flagships Pass in the Night: Sony XBA-4 Review VS the MDR-EX1000 [Updated with 7550 and XBA-40!]
May 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #32 of 296
Thanks Tomscy! I updated the second post with some of those fancy graphs.

It's interesting that the XBA-3 and XBA-4 seem to graph very similarly. In fact the XBA-4 seems to rise in the low frequencies more steadily, contrary to what you think a 'super-woofer' might be doing. I'd have to align the graphs / scales to be sure.

Perhaps the XBA-4 bass is in similar quantities to the XBA-3 but smoother at the very lowest frequencies, something which this graph can't tell us. When I heard both the biggest difference I felt was that the XBA-4 had a better sense of scale, pace and smoothness. Someone get us a 30hz square wave response graph, stat!

May 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #33 of 296
I have the ER4S and I love it, just love it. I also have the XBA-4 which I really regret buying. How comparable is EX-1000 to ER4S? 

May 12, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #34 of 296
I have both the EX1000 and ER4's, totally differnt creatures. The ER4's are, to me, bit players. Really great isolation, and a nice change of pace.

Even amped and with 75ohm resistor, they are thin. The Sony's are simply wonderful, bass shy with original plugs but the large Hifiman tips from the RE262 tips took care of that. I find them extremely clear, but without the thinness or etched quality of the ER4's, with a very pleasing slightly forward but oh so liquid mid-range. Also far, far more open sound.

So far, if I had to pick a single pair of IEM's, I'd take the EX1000's.

KP

May 12, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #36 of 296
Quote:
On a related note, while I was doing research for this review, has anyone else noticed that the EX1000 is now listed as 'No longer available' on the Sony USA website?

That is because the XBA4 replaces the EX1000 as the Sony flagship, at least in the company's marketing sense. There are no "two flagships". The EX1000 is the EX-flagship, pardon the pun...

If you search for the EX1000 on Amazon, the page will say "there is a newer version of the product available", then links to the XBA4. 

Your review is spot on. I too find the details from XBA4 startling and sound staging eerily holographic. In the end, I use my other IEMS far more than the EX1000 (because of fit and portability) and the XBA4 (because of fit and sound). I think Sony has a lot more homework to do.

May 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #37 of 296
Quote:
a_recording,

Yours is easily one of the very best reviews I've come across HF.

Why thank you :) I appreciate it. I put a bit of effort into this haha. I'll have to think when is the next time I will want to write a big chunky review like this.

Quote:

That is because the XBA4 replaces the EX1000 as the Sony flagship, at least in the company's marketing sense. There are no "two flagships". The EX1000 is the EX-flagship, pardon the pun...

If you search for the EX1000 on Amazon, the page will say "there is a newer version of the product available", then links to the XBA4. 

Your review is spot on. I too find the details from XBA4 startling and sound staging eerily holographic. In the end, I use my other IEMS far more than the EX1000 (because of fit and portability) and the XBA4 (because of fit and sound). I think Sony has a lot more homework to do.

I really if its a US marketing decision, and the EX series will continue onwards in the Japanese domestic market, (as often happens), or if Sony really is going to go full steam ahead with BA's. In which case, yes, I do think they could do some homework to get the best of both worlds.

May 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #38 of 296
Well, thanks to you now I am rethinking and balancing my options...again....and again...Thanks..

May 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #39 of 296
Quote:
Well, thanks to you now I am rethinking and balancing my options...again....and again...Thanks..

Haha, well, what are you thinking? Again I emphasise that the XBA-4s probably need a demo before purchasing. 

May 14, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #41 of 296
Quote:

Haha, well, what are you thinking? Again I emphasise that the XBA-4s probably need a demo before purchasing. 

My girl got the ex1000, and I want one for my self, but after demoing the xba4 for less an hour I felt they were artificial compared to the 1000, now iam thinking should I give them another chance or settle and buy the 1000, but I need them for outdoor most of the time, that is why the portability is important.
I have the W4, uefi10 and JH16, so I have some background, just wished it was simpler to decided. Well at least I have till the end of the month.

May 14, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #42 of 296
Quote:
My girl got the ex1000, and I want one for my self, but after demoing the xba4 for less an hour I felt they were artificial compared to the 1000, now iam thinking should I give them another chance or settle and buy the 1000, but I need them for outdoor most of the time, that is why the portability is important.
I have the W4, uefi10 and JH16, so I have some background, just wished it was simpler to decided. Well at least I have till the end of the month.

Hmm. It sounds like you have some good IEMs for outdoor use already.

I like using the EX1000 outdoors for walks around the neighbourhood, where the low isolation is probably safer and the streets are quiet.

May 14, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #43 of 296
Quote:

Hmm. It sounds like you have some good IEMs for outdoor use already.

I like using the EX1000 outdoors for walks around the neighbourhood, where the low isolation is probably safer and the streets are quiet.

You know, you're right about that! Less isolation is welcomed in this case........ Hmmmmmm

May 14, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #44 of 296
Just get both, and then write a big comparison!

May 14, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #45 of 296
Quote:
Just get both, and then write a big comparison!

Yeah get both and if you decide you don't want one you can just sell it to me for dirt cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back