[review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer HDJ-2000, V-Moda M80, Aiaiai TMA-1
Oct 17, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #136 of 452
HOLY **** 
dude these hd25's meet my EVERY expectation, exactly what I wanted and hoped for ^^. The sound signature reminds me of the se215, with smaller tips. It really sounds amazing, exactly what I hoped for, definitely a little more mainstream. I love them XD. now time for the appreciation thread ^^. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #137 of 452

So here's reply to Val via PM - he sent me a graph comparing the HD25s to the M80s (and P5s for that matter) and the measurements looked very balanced on the M80s, while the graph did show a spike in the highs for the HD25 which make them a bit more sparkly. He also asked what genres I listen to and what source I use. Nice to see someone so involved with the headphones he makes and eager to hear feedback.

I never said the highs were recessed on the M80s actually. Not surprised about the spike in those HD25 highs (in the beginning I used to find them a bit sibilant but then I improved my source and it got a bit better). Everyone kept saying the mids on the M80s are forward - which boggled my mind a bit because as balanced as the M80s are the mids are not very recessed (maybe slightly - I thought smiley-shaped instead of V-shaped - there's something semi-distant about the vocals which is not a bad thing as it creates a nice sense of depth and space - kind of like the HDJ-2000s) but not forward. When I see the word forward, I think of Grado mids or Phiaton MS400 mids. Where they're right in front of your face basically - which actually makes it quite aggressive. To me, the M80s are a nice balance between rockin' out and relaxing - maybe something like jammin'. The HD25, with that little spike in the highs (could be worse the M50s highs at times irk me) and the midbass bump is why people love it so much for rock/metal as it can get very fast, intense and aggressive - helps in the PRaT.

With the M80s, I personally love the tonality, space/airiness and instruments. Imaging and timbre are two very important factors for me and these do a nice job (better than HD25 for me, and of course the soundstage is better). They also remind me of my favorite IEM (and overall headphone for that matter - I'm actually trying to find more 'phones with the same sound sig) the Panasonic HJE900. 

As for the treble, it's not bad. I actually like that it lacks the little bit of sparkle that the HD25s have just because I'd like to be able to choose a more relaxed, smooth-sounding headphone when it comes to that. My one little critique is that cymbals lack decay. They're a one-note splash and then it ends in the horizon. Not very dimensional. It sounds fine but I've heard better (Denon D1000/1001). I think someone said it best when he/she said the headphones concentrates more on the crash rather than the decay. Something to that effect. Anyway, it's no big deal to me more so than other people because I'd rather have two headphones that sound a little different from each other:

M80s: bigger soundstage, better imaging, balanced, good timbre, clear mids, smooth, versatile, punchy bass while still retaining a warm, relaxed sound sig. (And I should mention they're a perfect portable segue going from my HDJ-2000s to these)
HD25s: narrow-sounding, good layering, sparkle at the top end, fast, recessed mids due to how congested it is, more aggressive for these reasons. Also the better isolation is why these headphones would also remain in my stable of cans. 

Overall, I have a love/hate thing going on with my HD25s (mostly because of lack of soundstage/imaging) and I only wished the M80s isolated a bit more (which is where the HD25s come in from time to time). But other than that, I couldn't be happier with the M80s for the kind of sound sig I wanted. They also look quite fantastic. 

I listen to all genres pretty much. Here's a small list to give you an idea: Depeche Mode (favorite band), INXS (other favorite), Sade, Hole, Dido, Charlotte Martin, Nirvana, Amy Winehouse, Chambao, IIO, Beastie Boys etc. So I'm always looking for nice all-rounder headphones.

Main source: ALAC --> diyMod --> P51 Mustang --> Headphones. 
Other sources: D33 PCDP, Macbook, other iPods.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #138 of 452
Under General Sound you put

V-Moda M80: asdf

AiAiAi TMA-1: asf

what's up with that?

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #139 of 452

Quote:
Under General Sound you put

V-Moda M80: asdf

AiAiAi TMA-1: asf

what's up with that?

Um, as in I haven't finished putting my notes in there yet. I've been very busy with work and work and other work. Hopefully in the next day or two I'll be able to finish it up.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #140 of 452
Added a bunch more notes on the M80 and TMA-1 as well as their comparisons. Also added my freehand drawn frequency sweeps for each headphone, as well as a couple simple mod pics. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #141 of 452
Can't get over those 'doofs', I keep cracking up everytime I read that. 
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #144 of 452

Quote:
Can't get over those 'doofs', I keep cracking up everytime I read that. 
tongue.gif

I have to admit, I chuckled a bit to myself when I wrote in "doof doof doof!"

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #145 of 452

Quote:
lol good one, ^ part 2 is kind of scary ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3FL-HqAWqI

is that the sony V700 she's using? those headphones are in like 50% of the picts in the thread about pleople wearing headphones

That chick reminds me of this one kid I used to get on my bus a few months ago. The kid always had a set of ratty looking Sennheiser PX100 headphones on and usually within 10 minutes of boarding he would be standing up in the back isle practically break dancing to his tunes. Now that's a music lover

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #147 of 452
They're fine for rock and metal, but I would give a slight nod towards the HD25 for those specific genres, or perhaps even the T50p if you want the aggressive guitar zing.

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #148 of 452

Users who are viewing this thread

Back