[review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer HDJ-2000, V-Moda M80, Aiaiai TMA-1
Oct 15, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #106 of 452

Quote:
I want to make sure I'm hearing things right. Am I the only one who feels the mids on the M80s are ever so slightly recessed/V-shaped? Not as recessed as the HD25 but basically on the same page as the HDJ-2000 (smiley-shaped). I've heard more upfront mids with other 'phones (eg. MS400) but I just don't hear that bump in the mids with the M80. The mids are clear and well defined but I perceive them to be just slightly distant especially with the stronger bass. Wondering if anyone hears that.

Anyway, awesome job on the notes/review Armaegis. Much appreciated.

did you get your ms400s?  :D also do you think the forwardness of the hd25 depends on the source? 

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #107 of 452

Quote:
Wow, that's just too much. That makes me feel better about the $414 that I paid.

BTW, how do you think the HDJ-2000 would fit as a portable headphone?

The HDJ-2000 is my main portable, but admittedly it's bigger and more cumbersome than the others. 

Quote:
should I regret buying the hd25 adidas over the M80? For just about all genres, maybe a little more hip hop, dubstep, techno, dnb, house, and rock?

Regret nothing. Buy both and feed the consumerism; it's the only way to be truly happy 
biggrin.gif
 The HD25 definitely rocks harder and has more "energy" than the M80. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #108 of 452

Quote:
The HDJ-2000 is my main portable, but admittedly it's bigger and more cumbersome than the others. 

Regret nothing. Buy both and feed the consumerism; it's the only way to be truly happy 
biggrin.gif
 The HD25 definitely rocks harder and has more "energy" than the M80. 

Agreed I have both and love both (some artists sound way better on the HD25 than any other headphone I have - no reason why but it's just the way it is. For example, I can listen to Sade on any headphone and like it but not as much as much as I love listening to her on the HD25. I think it's the energy, detail and bass impact. Everything sounds very crisp and groovy). And Armaegis, you also echoed my thoughts when you used the word 'hollow' at one point when describing the M80. I thought it was just me. I love the sound and tonality overall but it's that resonance which makes it sound a bit hollow indeed (not sure if it's a negative in my book but it's there). Your impressions on the treble are spot on for me too.

Waki I got the MS400s and am loving the engaging, fun nature they have. Make me feel like I'm at a party haha. I have to spend more time with them but they're great cans. A lot brighter/cooler-sounding than I expected without being fatiguing. As for the forwardness of the HD25 depending on source, I don't think so. They're just as forward on my macbook as they are on my diyMod/P51. The difference is that they sound a little more rich/fuller on the diyMod/P51. Mids open up a bit. But the beauty of the HD25 (and the M80 for that matter) is that they sound great with just about any decent source.

Oct 15, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #109 of 452

Quote:
should I regret buying the hd25 adidas over the M80? For just about all genres, maybe a little more hip hop, dubstep, techno, dnb, house, and rock?

Regret absolutely nothing my friend matter of fact go out and get yourself a funky amp to go with it. This is Head-Hi soldier up up up and start marching

Oct 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #111 of 452

Quote:
Regret absolutely nothing my friend matter of fact go out and get yourself a funky amp to go with it. This is Head-Hi soldier up up up and start marching

lol kk also how does the ipod touch affect ur m80s do they add a lot of mids? 

Oct 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #112 of 452

Quote:
lol kk also how does the ipod touch affect ur m80s do they add a lot of mids? 

Can't really say it adds a lot to the mids. When I hooked up my clip+ to the M-80 I thought it may have bought out a little more in the highs. Not really sure it could all just be placebo

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #115 of 452
Great review.
I was strongly considering the M80 until I got a great deal on t50p's, so I can't wait for your comparison between the two just to see if the m80's would suit me better or not.

And about the driver size chart; iirc someone in the t50p thread disassembled their pair and measured the driver to be 30mm.

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #116 of 452

Quote:
Is that a cMoy? Where did you get that case? it's pretty cool. 

The details of my amp is in my profile page and it was put together by Armaegis. If you would like to see the internals of it Armaegis has pictures of it while it was being built in a DIY folder found HERE. The tin itself I found it at a small shop in my city and I'm sure you could find it online if you Googled it. eBay might be a good place to start I know they have tons of stash tins for sale on there of various different types.

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #117 of 452

Quote:
So would you recommend the M80s over the DT 1350s and the HD25?

Depends on your genres and whether you need isolation or not.

Quote:
Great review.
I was strongly considering the M80 until I got a great deal on t50p's, so I can't wait for your comparison between the two just to see if the m80's would suit me better or not.

And about the driver size chart; iirc someone in the t50p thread disassembled their pair and measured the driver to be 30mm.

What kind of genres do you listen to?

If you could provide a link for the T50p post that has the driver information, it would be much appreciated.

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #118 of 452

Quote:
If you could provide a link for the T50p post that has the driver information, it would be much appreciated.

I can't pinpoint the page on which I've seen it, but I've sacrificed my DT 1350 pair for DIY experimentations, as I believe it's got the best driver currently in production for portable headphones. And I can confirm that it has a 30mm or so driver.

Although the size may be small, it has a very, very good bass extension and control - impressive to say the least. Also, if one removes all the damping inside the DT 1350 cup, as well as the side rubber parts and free all the holes on the back of the driver, the DT 1350 becomes extremely dynamic - which shows that really, the driver is something, and that the main reason behind the DT 1350 "flatness" isn't the driver but the damping design.
I've actually listened to the DT 1350 in "open mode" : I put the pads on the two driver plates and brought them to my ears. The result was surprisingly good - as if the drivers were designed to be put in an open headphones.

I see a few reasons why Beyer went for the default damping design inside the DT 1350 - but I really feel it could have been made better with a better cup design. I'm not sure I can improve on what's already in the DT 1350 (after all, I'm no acoustic engineer), but I'm sure a more careful / clever cup design would have improved the sound.

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #119 of 452
That's very interesting. I did mention at one point that I felt the bass was overdamped; maybe it just needs more air behind it. Do you have any pics of your disassembled DT1350? I'm very curious to see how it looks inside.

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #120 of 452

Quote:
Depends on your genres and whether you need isolation or not.

What kind of genres do you listen to?

Here's the post as requested. http://www.head-fi.org/t/479768/beyer-t50p-beyerdynamic-announces-the-t50p-portable-tesla-headphones/840#post_7206702

I usually listen to rock, edm, and some classical and jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back