Review: cMoy Headphone Amp Bass BOOST Edition
Sep 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #106 of 192
i have recently ordered a bsg h/phone amp am awaiting delivery,i live in england and delivery will not be until 14/09. i am eager to try this with my sony minidisc (portable) mzrh1/mznh1/mznh900 .i wonder how much improvement there will be
k701smile.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #107 of 192
I have ordered one few days ago.

I really hope it will match my expectations... but before buying on eBay I could ask a LOT of questions to John who quickly and gently answered me. A good point before reviewing his amp...

H.

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #108 of 192
Received few days ago. Here few comments.

How I listen music ?

I own an Iphone 3GS and I use Shure SE 530. It was my first valuable headphone and I really appreciate them. I'm looking for a new headphone, probably a Grado, but that is not the issue in this thread.

When I'm moving, I use Iphone with the Ipod fonction and I did install the spotify app on my Iphone. For that, I encoded all my CD collection (AAC 256 and/or Apple loseless format).

When I'm working, I use my laptop and the Spotify client.

What I use to listen ?

I listen to a wide range of music. Bach, Daft Punk, Motown's stuff, funk and Jazz. I like to have a neutral sound, well balanced.

Why I needed an amp ?

After few weels of use, I found that my Iphone miss a little bit punch and power. It was like the sound was "blank". After reading a lot of reviews of head-fi, I've tought I may need an amp. But i would not spend at this time to much money on that. I found that topic and decided to give a try to it.

I've contacted John who kindly answered me before I bought his amp. He answered very qickly to all of my questions. I really appreciate that. After buying, he sent the amp qickly and I get it in a couple of days : that's fast for an onverseas transaction (I'm living in France).

Does it worth the price ?

Definetely yes. What I was looking for - a reacher / warmer sound - is there. The price was not overestimated nor the shipping costs (thanks for not asking 20 US $ like others John).

His amp is well done, I appreciate the retro design. It's simple, really easy to use. And it works perfectly.

I would recommend this amp to anybody looking for a better sound. I will update my comments after few weeks and maybe after buying a new HP.

H.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #110 of 192
I just ordered one v2.2 from Mr. Seaber's JDS Labs site. It will be paired with my new 280 Pro that I'm cooking now. Pick me out a winner, John!

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #111 of 192
I have both GRADO SR 60 and Sennheiser HD 428. I asked him to customize the gain for me for 32 ohm headphones, and I am using his amp but I don't notice any difference in sound. In some cases I notice very slight differences. So I think it must be my source. Am I right or wrong here? I am just using my laptop sound card which is Sigmatel HD audio. Its possible it will sound better after "burn in" so I'll see if the sound improves after some use.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #112 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered one v2.2 from Mr. Seaber's JDS Labs site. It will be paired with my new 280 Pro that I'm cooking now. Pick me out a winner, John!

The 280s went back today due to the right side cutting off. Since the original deal I bought was finished on the 280s, I went with a good deal on Shure SRH440s. I hope this combo works okay!

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #113 of 192
I have a cMoy v1.48 with Bass Boost and I use them with Grado SR60's. While the gain on low switch still gives me that fuzz, I can adjust the volume on my speakers and it works fine. The bass boost on mine gives the Grado's a completely FULL bottom end. It's nice because it doesn't just add a boomy bass, it actually provides it with a bottom end that seems much needed after switching back and forth.

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #114 of 192
Just finished my CMOYBB v2.02 and enjoying listening to it during burn-in. Has anyone tried different opamps in this? The standard one is OPA2227PA.

Thanks

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #115 of 192
I'm looking into buying a CMOYBB 2.02. Will I need additional cables, or will the cord on my headphones be enough? Does it come with an 'input' cable?

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #116 of 192
I have had this Amp for a long time now, maybe a year or so. All i can say is "WOW!!!" Absolutley brilliant amp. I always use the Bass Boost feature and it sounds amazing. The Bass is soo Deep, tight and controlled. Unlike the EQ bass on my ipod touch. This sounds tight, fast and powerfull. This amp and
the Triple.Fi10's; what a combo!
Thank you J.Seaber

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #117 of 192
Just tried out the cMoyBB v2.02 with my headphones, can't say I'm utterly impressed but it does redefine the bass. I listen to music with heavy bass (hardstyle, hard trance, hip hop), the SRH840's has neutral bass to start with. The sound distorts at higher volumes. I'm going to purchase some new headphones and I'll try them out again hopefully with some better results.

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #118 of 192
I've been using the Cmoy 2.02 Bass boost version made by John Seaber for about two months now, mostly with my AKG 601 headphones, sources are the Iphone 3GS and the Cowon X5 (both on line out), LODS are Practical Devices and Canare cooper cable with Neutrik plug, the sound is very crisp and detailed, the bass boost really works wonders for the AKG 601's.

Have also tried it with my Phonak Audéo PFE IEM's and they also work very nicely together, read good things about the amp but was still positively impressed by its performance.

Really an excellent portable HP amp, it has enough Power to drive my AKG headphones without a problem and the soundstage is nicely layered.
Highly recommended and honestly a bargain for the price.
beerchug.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #119 of 192
I have hd-580's and am interested in this amp. It will be my first, so thought I would get my feet wet with something at this price point that will drive the cans. Rock, Country, Show, Jazz and Blues, so I'm all over the place.

How does this compare with Headroom Airhead? I ask because as it is my first, literature gets me thinking and it has crossfeed, which sounds like it makes sense to me, but it may just be marketing. Build quality okay? I worry about the bass switch being so far out.

Also, should I get it customized for this high imped phone, or leave it alone for when I get some other can?

Opionions?

Thanks.

Lenny...

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #120 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by rappsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Build quality okay? I worry about the bass switch being so far out.

Also, should I get it customized for this high imped phone, or leave it alone for when I get some other can?

Opionions?

Thanks.

Lenny...

Build quality is very good Lenny, the boost switch on mine is a small switch on the PCB inside the amp rather than the big, clunky switch on the older models.

I would definitely recommend to contact John and ask about customising the amp for the phones you have in mind, he is very knowledgeable and will be able to answer your questions.

Best have a look here: JDS Labs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back