Review: cMoy Headphone Amp Bass BOOST Edition
Apr 27, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #136 of 192
I am thinking about buying a cMoy v2.02,i have a question though.
Does the volume control just control the volume of the source device(ipod..etc) or does it actually add to the max volume of the source device,i find my ipod is not loud enough with some music,so am looking for something that will make the ipod louder...thanks

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #138 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you DIY you can play around with the gain to your preference.

So do you mean that it does increase the loudness of the max volume of my ipod ?,i have no technical knowledge,so am after something that is stock and will increase the max volume of ipod,i dont want to tinker with the amps default settings...thanks

May 1, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #140 of 192
Here is some questions Deep Funk asked me when he was deciding if he wants the amp. I figured other people might have the same questions so I decided to post it up.

regarding the sound signature would you say the latest cMoy adds more warmth, bass and sound stage?
yes, especially on um3x. ad900 might be warm already. change is not obvious with it.

Furthermore, does the bass sound defined and deep with the cMoy?
yes actually it does and it extends deeper. sounds much better with cMoy than just straight out from headphone out. so improve both quantity and quality. you can hear how the bass sound and the tiny fluctuation of the bass guitar string. also true on the bass in orchestra(this is honestly what i feel. This is why i bought the cMoy in the first place)

Does the bass invade the midrange?
ad900, slightly. um3x, definitely not.

The vocals and highs generally still sound true to the record through the cMoy and headphone?
for ad900, definitely changes, if the song has both low and high. for um3x, definitely sounds true to me.
for ad900 if the song only has vocal, then it is okay. only moves the voice slightly away from where it was.
I think it changes the high more on classical music, i.e. violins. the violins moves to the back of the crowd, and the bass comes to the front of the crowd, ie you can clearly hear the bass plucking on their string.
but on vocal(male and female) it is only a slight change. again, vocal moves back a little, and the bass comes a little forward.
additonal note that i want to add is the change can be minimize by lower the volume control on the amp and increasing the dap's volume. the bass increase is definitely still there but the effect on high becomes smaller. that actually sounds like a very good solution to me.

It may sound like it is all negative. But i am just focusing on the changes of high. On a lot of songs, you can definitely feel the difference in bass quantity and quality but little effect on the high and mids. honestly, on um3x, it sounds so good that i don't want to take them off and switch to ad900 for testing. If you are taking the amp on-the-go, this is probably a good solution to increase the bass on cold sounding IEM.

May 8, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #141 of 192
I got the cMoy V2.02 BB to work. It sounds sounds more fun with bass boost, without it still sounds good but less fun and less bassy. The music sounds better with bass boost, less neutral though. 

My Fiio E5 is toast compared to the cMoy. Bass boost on the cMoy is addicting, especially with typical bassy music. For the moment I am a confirmed bass boost addict. 

May 12, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #143 of 192

I seem to have problem with clipping, the source volume has to be quite low (<25%) otherwise it distorts (xonar DX or Mobile phone DAP). I dont have this issue with my e5 or bravo at same settings. Is my cmoybb faulty or am I expecting too much. I have replaced the battery and it still clips even with bass boost off. Has anynoe else experienced this?

May 13, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #144 of 192
I have the same problem,mine distorts around 40% volume level.
angry_face.gif

May 13, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #145 of 192
Which cMoy do you use? How long do you have the cMoy? How many hours of use for the cMoy?

Just some questions. My cMoy BB V2.02 is quite new.

May 14, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #149 of 192
I have had mine (2.02) for a few weeks, about 5-8 hours use as I went back to my old amp. My cans are ultrasone HFI-780 32ohms  . I dont know if the recent batch is faulty as i cant imagine this is standard. Ill check with my senn 555 which are 50ohms to see if its a sensitivity thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back