Review: cMoy Headphone Amp Bass BOOST Edition
Aug 13, 2007 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 192

Katsukare

Previously known as Kinky
I received my cMoy Headphone Amp Bass Boost edition in the mail that I ordered last week from this auction,
http://cgi.ebay.ca/cMoy-Amp-Headphon...QQcmdZViewItem
Thumbnail3.jpg

Heres a small review on it.

The seller/creator, three3three3 (John Seaber) kept VERY good communication. He customized my amp with a volume control and a white led. He also tuned my amp so it was customized for my Grado SR-60s.
IMG_2302.jpg

The packaging it came in was a bit flimsy but it was nicely wrapped in bubble wrap.

A few things I noticed when I was inspecting it,

Very nice workmanship, everything is intact and secure. Dim, yet bright white led, perfect so it doesn't blind or annoy you. Comes with a free 9v battery.
Nice soldering, and everything is heat-glued together. Very secure design.
Custom PCB board with Bass Boost and version number + creators email address for any technical support.
IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

The sound quality is absolutely amazing with my Grado SR-60s. Crisp sound, custom volume knob works great, and the bass even without the bass boost is good!
IMG_2305.jpg

When you turn the bass booost on the sound is
basshead.gif
. The Bass is simply AMAZING. Low sexy bass that does not distort or cause noise at all! The bass is low but so nice that you can actually fall asleep to it. It is not annoying what-so-ever. I could listen to my cmoy for hours with bass boost on if I wanted to.

The lower end bass really stands out. It sounds simply amazing. It's like listening to music with subwoofers in your headphones! I am being dead serious. I have so much audio equipment at home and in my car and to be honest, this cMoy amp sounds just like as if I'm blasting my bassy music in my car. I love it! Bass is rich, crisp and clear!
580smile.gif

Even with my garbage samsung mp3 player it produced nice rich bass and still kept it's mid and high treble. It was very nice.

I wish I had some testing equipment to show you, or you could listen to this. It sounds absolutely amazing. For the price of it, I would recommend it to anyone!

My dad, a former audiophile back in the day tried my amp and he was surprised by the sound quality and bass that this amp could produce!

For the price, I'd say this is THE BEST cMOY AMP on ebay! The sound it produces is amazing! Would highly recommend it for anyone who uses Mp3 players!

For all you bass lovers, be sure to check this out!

Bottomline: Affordable, Amazing Sound Quality, Breathless low-end Bass, Crisp sound, and great workmanship.

Don't be scared to contact John, hes a great guy and he replied to questions at lightning speeds!
Highly recommended!

5/5 Stars for Build Quality.
5/5 Stars for Sound Quality.
4/5 Stars for Price.

Overall: 5/5 Stars!
basshead.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 192
luidge, that's one of my customers. I didn't ask him to review it, but am glad to see enthusiastic reception. Thanks, Kinky!

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 192
Check my ebay account. I am one of blackinches customers. Check three3three3's feedback, I'm pure legit.
I promised that I would write him a review on his cmoy, thus attracting more customers and allowing an honest audiophile's review of these cMoy amps on ebay.

Anyone in toronto who wants to meet up and try the amp, by all means pm me.

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 192
SAGE goes in the e-mail field.

"Bass boost?" I'd like to hear how this was accomplished.

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 192
Very nice pictures to OP
biggrin.gif

I just ordered one. I had lot of amps in my time but I like the price of this cMoy and most of all the builder is very responsive (even after 2am in the morning). Good service (and responsiveness) goes a long way for me.

Once I get it, I will add my impression after few hundred hours of burn in.

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #9 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice pictures to OP
biggrin.gif

I just ordered one. I had lot of amps in my time but I like the price of this cMoy and most of all the builder is very responsive (even after 2am in the morning). Good service (and responsiveness) goes a long way for me.

Once I get it, I will add my impression after few hundred hours of burn in.

Haha yeah man. John is the best at communication. Hes on till 2 am - 4am.
Great guy. Keep it up John!

Thanks for the comments on the pictures. They were just quick snaps, nothing serious. I have some more serious photography but i just wanted to show some poeple the detail of the amp.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 192
If I like the sound signature, I will buy another amp from John and build me a "poor man's" cMoy balanced system with my VDA2/VAC1 DAC and two 24v DC battery system (with large power cap)
biggrin.gif
I just need to make the appropriate cables for VDA2 and Senn 580 & 650. It should be a fun system and fun project
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha yeah man. John is the best at communication. Hes on till 2 am - 4am.
Great guy. Keep it up John!

Thanks for the comments on the pictures. They were just quick snaps, nothing serious. I have some more serious photography but i just wanted to show some poeple the detail of the amp.

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #13 of 192
I just got John's Cmoy Bass Boost clone today also, and it definetly is a major improvement over non-amped for my AKG K271. I seem to have a bit different layout, without the volume knob, enough room such that I can stick another 9v battery in series, which I'm going to attempt tomorrow. I bought it because of this thread specifically, thanks for sharing.

My first headphone amp, and it's hell of a bang for the buck, especially since the AKG K271 are power hungry, and a bit bass shy compared to others, my EQ on my Iriver H120 doesn't have enough oomph for my tastes, but this does the job perfect...

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #14 of 192
Sorry to have doubting you, it's just that you had a very low number of posts and that your review looked to me like a publicity. However i am happy to see that you love your amp and i hope you will keep on finding new tweaks and gear to upgrade your musical listening experience! Welcome aboard

Luidge

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #15 of 192
I was about to order one and finally try a Cmoy amp. Then I went to Ebay and read that it does not have a volume control, however on the pictures above you have one with a volume pot. What gives? can I purchase one w/ a volume pot?

Also I am not to interested in a gain switch provided the seller can set the gain at 3 out of the Cmoy. Is this doable? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back