[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Aug 11, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #5,146 of 7,021
Would love to try the new G2.5 but getting them in the UK is a major pain, no UK retailers and thanks to our VAT etc here in the UK makes it way too expensive to import.

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #5,148 of 7,021
Just did a lengthy comparison between a Stealth G2, my modded nickle G2*, and the new Red G2.5 over the weekend (all with bass port close to fully closed).  Source is the AK240+Hugo, playing Black Album, Hell Freeze Over, and Dark Side of the Moon.

Some quick impressions on my preferences:

Sub-bass impact: G2* > G2 > G2.5
Mid-bass texture: G2.5 > G2* > G2
Mids: G2* >= G2.5 > G2
Treble: G2.5 >= G2* > G2 
Soundstage: G2* = G2.5 > G2 
Imaging: G2=G2*=G2.5

Overall I think G2 owners would want to listen to the G2.5 to see if it's worth upgrading (FWIW the modded G2* is closer to the G2.5 than the G2).  Compared to the G2, the G2.5 to me is better, but not sure if worth the cost to upgrade.

Btw, Aurisonic is moving to use a medical grade silicone tips as stock tips with the G2.5 which I used in these comparison also.  Don't really think they affect the sound compared to an ortofon type silicone tip provided you are getting good seal with both.  But I like them and think they are more comfortable and tends to achieve seal easier and maintain it better.

What mods have been accomplished on your nickle G2?

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #5,149 of 7,021
Aug 12, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #5,151 of 7,021
I've read through several of these comparisons. I'm interested in finding out more about how these compare to the Sennheiser IE800 and Shure SE846 as I'm familiar with both of these top dogs. I really really liked the Sennheisers but returned them recently for their poor fit. I primarily listen to trance EDM and some other electronic if that helps. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #5,152 of 7,021
What mods have been accomplished on your nickle G2?

This isn't sth I mod personally, but was done by Dale after I met him in Hong Kong last year and he brought them back. I believe the changes included the modding the bass valve to shift the focus from midbass to sub bass, and changes with the damping materials/placement. Not sure if any changes with sound bores or crossover setup. From what I understand these were the precursors to the v2.5, but with v2.5 moved to a smaller dynamic driver.

Having said that, if you didn't like asg2 in the first place, neither these mods nor the v2.5 is likely to change that.

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #5,153 of 7,021
  I've read through several of these comparisons. I'm interested in finding out more about how these compare to the Sennheiser IE800 and Shure SE846 as I'm familiar with both of these top dogs. I really really liked the Sennheisers but returned them recently for their poor fit. I primarily listen to trance EDM and some other electronic if that helps. 

I listen to a lot of bass heavy genres as well (trance, edm, bunch of electronic, hiphop, rnb)

My previous impressions from before, (link here) I'll skip my comparison with the IE800 since comfort and fit are very important 
etysmile.gif

My comparison to the 846:

Personally I prefer laid back treble response. The sharp sound of the se846 treble was too much for me, since i've been using m100 more often lately. In terms of fatigue for me, they went SE846 > IE800 > ASG 2.5, asg being the most laid back. 

The 846 has some amazing sub bass rumble, but compared to the asg, I feel that the bass quantity and quality are present there on both, you'll be very pleased with either for any EDM. Both have excellent low end, the bass seems a bit more refined on the 846, whilst the impact can be bigger on the asg when you want it to be. You can really feel the 14.3mm bass driver at work when you try with the bass ports open.

When it came to some piercing trebles that you get in some electronic (such as vocal trance, glitch, or cymbals in other genres) the SE846 felt more fatiguing in the long run. Here I preferred the ASG far more than the Shures.

Mids were amazing on both, Shure being legendary for mids, whilst Aurisonics also being well known for their incredible vocals. You'll have to really compare yourself if you want to hear every minute detail in mids here.

I do suggest that you go and try both yourself. Keep in mind that the ASG's are harder to burn in. That dynamic driver took my friend around 3 months of daily use before it settled down completely. But once you do get pass the burn in process, the bass is more controlled and refined in texture. Plus you can tune the bass port to your liking which is a huge plus.

If you are more budget conscious, I would recommend the ASG, they're around 200usd cheaper where I'm from. If money isn't an issue, I would still recommend listening to both, just remember to ask how long the ASG's have been tested/burnt in i cannot stress that enough. At least you'll have an idea of whether it's in its final form.
Overall my own preference would be ASG > Shure > IE800, regardless of price

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #5,154 of 7,021

Personally I preferred my asg2 over both (owned and sold both). Fit wise asg2 is on par with se846 and both are easier to wear and provide better seal than IE800. Soundwise the asg2 would be closer to the 846 (black filter) but I find the bass texture more real and accurate on the asg2, and the midrange/vocal is also more engaging in asg2. Tho there are also others who like the 846 vocal (esp female) better. For trance I sometimes feel the 846 bass a bit too slow and I prefer the asg2 (and 1plus2) despite conventional wisdom would suggest the BA would sound faster/tighter than dynamic driver in the hybrids.

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #5,155 of 7,021
  Would love to try the new G2.5 but getting them in the UK is a major pain, no UK retailers and thanks to our VAT etc here in the UK makes it way too expensive to import.

Earphonesolutions.com have them in stock, and will mark down on request.  However you may still get caught.

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #5,156 of 7,021
I'm kind of thinking about upgrading. I have the ASG-2 as well as FA-4E and UE900. The revision which is the ASG-2.5 and the newer internals on FA-4E make me want to try them. However I'm also thinking about the SE846 since they're damn sexy.

The problem I have with ASG-2 is the lack of details in the upper midrange. I listen to a lot of rock. Nowadays I hardly get more than an hour of ear-time so fatigue in the 4kHz department is not something I'm concerned about. I do find that the ASG-2 has a spike in the 8kHz that make them quite picky vs poor recordings. I can live with that but the details in upper midrange, the crunch, presence and attack of electric guitars and fundamentals of cymbals are missing. This is true for FA-4E as well.

I'm not concerned of fatigue. All I care about is getting that upper mid presence. Will it be there on the SE846's? As I've read some about the mids being detailed but possibly fatiguing I feel that they may be a good fit for me as I rarely listen for longer periods anymore. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #5,157 of 7,021
I'm kind of thinking about upgrading. I have the ASG-2 as well as FA-4E and UE900. The revision which is the ASG-2.5 and the newer internals on FA-4E make me want to try them. However I'm also thinking about the SE846 since they're damn sexy.

The problem I have with ASG-2 is the lack of details in the upper midrange. I listen to a lot of rock. Nowadays I hardly get more than an hour of ear-time so fatigue in the 4kHz department is not something I'm concerned about. I do find that the ASG-2 has a spike in the 8kHz that make them quite picky vs poor recordings. I can live with that but the details in upper midrange, the crunch, presence and attack of electric guitars and fundamentals of cymbals are missing. This is true for FA-4E as well.

I'm not concerned of fatigue. All I care about is getting that upper mid presence. Will it be there on the SE846's? As I've read some about the mids being detailed but possibly fatiguing I feel that they may be a good fit for me as I rarely listen for longer periods anymore. 

Wow, I actually hear the ASG-2 quite differently. The crunch and texture of guitars, along with mid and upper mid detail, have always been strong suits of these IEMs in my opinion. I suppose that's why there are so many different IEMs out there, to accommodate different tastes.

Not trying to invalidate your opinion, of course, just offering my own too :wink:

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #5,158 of 7,021
I'm kind of thinking about upgrading....

Try tip rolling and experiment with insertion depth/angle as I experienced some of what you described with the stock tip. Personally I find large bore single flange silicone tips bring out the upper mid/treble resolutions/air without getting fatiguing. I find the spike you mentioned more troublesome when I get a shallow insertion, or the tip is too long (double flange tip), or with opening too narrow.

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #5,159 of 7,021
Try tip rolling and experiment with insertion depth/angle as I experienced some of what you described with the stock tip. Personally I find large bore single flange silicone tips bring out the upper mid/treble resolutions/air without getting fatiguing. I find the spike you mentioned more troublesome when I get a shallow insertion, or the tip is too long (double flange tip), or with opening too narrow.

I second this, I also used large bore single flange silicon during my testing and had no complaints about any of the mids.

But the best suggestion would be to try both of the iems. Making a decision whilst not having heard everything you are considering will be like an itch in your brain that you cant cant satisfy. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #5,160 of 7,021
In my testing I've mostly found that the only tips that kind of lean out the frequency response are the stock biflanges (meelec balanced). Sony new hybrids are bass heavy and detailed but a bit sibilant. Auvios provide a strong bass but are sibilant as well. But I'll try tip rolling again and listen more to the mids! Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back