[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Jun 21, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #4,996 of 7,021
The more I listen to these phones, the more I love them. I think they've become my favorite out of my small collection. I was listening to my Heir 8.0, which really do sound incredible. The Heir are a bit clearer, with more details, but the bass is definitely better on the G-2, and are more fun to listen to. I'm really wondering about the 2.5, what type of improvement there is

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #4,997 of 7,021
Have you tried out the Ortofon tips? These are highly recommended and is probably one of the best tips for ASG.

Thanks for the recommendation mate, unfortunately I don't have any with me; however, I'm going back to Hong Kong in few days time. Any idea where I can stock this tips from? Cheers.
beerchug.gif

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #4,999 of 7,021
Don't wonder too much 
biggrin.gif
.  That leads to upgrades.  Months after selling my ASG-2 I was in the market for another 2.0 but I emailed ASG just in case a newer version was on the way.  Turns out yes and I was way past getting in line for a Rockets.  I wouldn't be able to make too many comparisons because the 2.0 has since been 3-4 months gone and I was using different portable equipment at the time.  However, if we want to rely on my audio memory and just using the iPhone as my player, then to me it appears that ASG has gone for a slightly more balanced approach with 2.5.  As has been quoted from people at ASG the midbass response is less emphasized.  This to my ears helps bring out more details at the low end.  I'm hearing a lot more low end texturing.  When I listen an album like Dysnomia by Dawn of Midi, I'm getting a more nuanced lower end which is the focus of this album and I'm enjoying it much more with 2.5 than 2.0.  With 2.0 the midbass was hiding some of the complexity of this album.  In any case, I don't have both at the same time.  If I had the 2.0 I wouldn't necessarily be looking to upgrade unless the midbass was driving you crazy.  The 2.0 and 2.5 still get vocals across to my liking.  There was some indication by ASG that they improved upon the "shoutiness" that was conveyed by some users.  With the type of music I listen to I was never bothered by this so I can't make any comments.

Also, the 2.5 cable allows for direct plugging into an iPhone even if it has a case.  

ASG2 pairs very well with something like the Tralucent T1 amp.  1 notch on the bass port and I'm all set.

Quote:
The more I listen to these phones, the more I love them. I think they've become my favorite out of my small collection. I was listening to my Heir 8.0, which really do sound incredible. The Heir are a bit clearer, with more details, but the bass is definitely better on the G-2, and are more fun to listen to. I'm really wondering about the 2.5, what type of improvement there is

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #5,000 of 7,021
Very cool man, thanks for the impressions! Also, glad to see another Dawn of Midi fan around here... I liked Dysnomia enough to buy it on vinyl. Incredibly interesting album!!

Jun 28, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #5,001 of 7,021
They were recently in Seattle but I missed them.  Vinyl eh?  I haven't tried vinyl yet.  I've avoided that addiction for now.  Do people use turntable to phono preamp to headphone amp?  I know it's possible, but not sure how common it is and how would it sound with the ASG2.

Quote:
Very cool man, thanks for the impressions! Also, glad to see another Dawn of Midi fan around here... I liked Dysnomia enough to buy it on vinyl. Incredibly interesting album!!

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #5,002 of 7,021

I haven't heard of many people doing it (especially with IEMs), but the world is jam-packed with things I've never heard of :wink:. Somebody must be doing it though-- wasn't one of Tyll's recent show reports about a turntable with a built-in HPA (among other features, of course)?

Listened to Dysnomia again tonight.... Still can't get over how interesting it is, and how enjoyable!

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #5,003 of 7,021
You guys have me curious about Dysnomia, a band that got under my radar (not that there aren't probably thousands of bands like that, and I try to pay attention). Rave on Amazon, can you guys describe them a bit(i know we're off top). Thanks

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #5,004 of 7,021
http://soundcloud.com/dawn-of-midi/dom-final-mix-mp3

There's my description :)

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #5,005 of 7,021
There's a great intro to them on NPR's Radiolab podcasts somewhere. They started off doing trance (African, not electronic) and kind of morphed from there. It's a lot of evolving permutations on beats and structures, and all the different parts kind of pull and push on one another as it goes. Personally, I think it's excellent "zoning-in" music where you listen and become hyper focused.

Try it out and let us know what you think!

Jun 29, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #5,006 of 7,021
If I didn't hear the Radiolab interview (http://www.radiolab.org/story/313542-dawn-midi/) upon discovering them I would have thought it was purely digital, electronic music because of the timing and rhythm but the precision comes from the musicians playing instruments.  I look forward to their transitions and blending between songs/movements.  Cool and different, but probably not for everyone or every IEM.  I like this album on my ASG2 but not my RE-Zero.  Try it with some speakers too.  

Jun 29, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #5,008 of 7,021
  Really guys? after all this time, still not a single ASG 2.0 vs 2.5 comparison?

Soon. Mine will be shipping with the Rockets.

I'll do a full comparison when I can.

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #5,009 of 7,021

Soon. Mine will be shipping with the Rockets.

I'll do a full comparison when I can.

Fun, that will determine if I trade my ASG-2s or not. I look forward to your impressions Eke!

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #5,010 of 7,021
You guys have me curious about Dysnomia, a band that got under my radar (not that there aren't probably thousands of bands like that, and I try to pay attention). Rave on Amazon, can you guys describe them a bit(i know we're off top). Thanks

Got me hooked too. Just order the album on Amazon. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back