[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Aug 13, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #2,641 of 7,021
Well!!!!! i just met Dale ! my ASG-2 had a crack and i contacted my local distro and he gave me an address...which was 1 street away !!!! 1 min walk i am at the distros house and he invites me in to talk to dale ! had a cool discussion learned alot of interesting facts about the ASG-2 , thanks to that discussion i am going to get a pair of chris himself cables... secret secret but the chris himself cable are what is recommended !!! AND he is replacing my Crack ASG-2 with a NEW one that he brought along with him ! and it has the red coloring in the LOGO too an awesome asctetic that i wanted to do on the ASG-2 myself actually~ !!! he liked what i did with the carbon fiber on the protection case hahahaha . 
Very nice Guy ! he came down himself to see the problem actually because my set is the only one to have the crack in the shell ( I blame the courier's itchy fingers ) 

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #2,643 of 7,021
Tried to find one but couldn't, has anyone done a comparison between the Heir 5.0 and the ASG -2?  Or own both and have thoughts about the two?  Would they be complementary to each other or just redundant?  Thanks!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #2,644 of 7,021
Quote:
Tried to find one but couldn't, has anyone done a comparison between the Heir 5.0 and the ASG -2?  Or own both and have thoughts about the two?  Would they be complementary to each other or just redundant?  Thanks!

PM Carlsan. He owns both.

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #2,645 of 7,021
Great first impressions James and DannyBai.

James I'm not surprised about how you feel about the highs considering you could withstand the EX1000's dagger piercing treble. 

DannyBai I'm surprised you didn't sneak in a line or two about the wonderful job KEF did with the M200. Happy listening fellas. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #2,646 of 7,021
Finally ASG2 are in my hands (and ears), thanks to James for giving me this opportunity.
I was especially curious after seeing a heated debate on this forum and comparisons flying back and forth between ASG and other highly acclaimed IEMs.

First of all thanks for this opportunity. This is little time I listen to ASG2 and I can see and hear better now why this baby generated so much fuzz.

I will listen to them till next week and then form an opinion. However a few things I can tell straight away.

First, they are not 1+2 and are not supposed to be, to each his own. Overall 1+2 is very special IEM still holding up well against many classy products.

Second, James review is spot on and very accurately describes ASG pluses and minuses.

Third, this is clearly a monitor type IEM so this unsurprisingly polarised so many people because some people crave about monitor quality sound and others hate it.

Fourth, I find ASG2 pretty interesting sounding and there are some things where this IEM shines in glory, vocal presentations in particular are stunning, put on Dianna Krall (actually I do not like her but that is personal bias) and you will quickly understand what this IEM is all about, vocals are crystal clear and stunningly live like. Bass is well controlled and good enough but some greater separation would not hurt. Trebles are like James described are taking back seat. I wish a bit of fine tuning to blend bit mid and lower bass and increase highs transparency. In fact trebles are well present but I miss bit air and feel cymbals feel bit like withheld from sparkle shine unlike on 1+2.

Fifth, I disagree with people who blame and put down ASG2, what I am hearing pleases me a lot, right now I listen to African chamber music with great vocals and a lot of percussion works and I am liking what I hear. I use Rwak100 without external amp, music material Flac 24/96 and 14/44, will try some higher res later.

As I suspected ASG2 is indeed very interesting IEM which departs from consumer dogmas and brings more professional like sound. This is like pro studio soind, you either love or hate it... As concerns me I love it and ASG does not disappont me. Very intersting IEM for those who like clean, articulate, not aggressive and finely layered sound which comes at expense of some emotionality, stage and slam. I fully can appreciate this phylospohy and I see why Aurisonics made it this way. It will not wow you like 1+2 but ASG2 will dliver goodies aplenty if you prefer attentive listening and want coherency and accuracy first place. Stereo imaging and stage depth are good but not the best and is brought more forward, here again I feel ASG is concentrating more on conveying accurately the musical picture rather than addding anything. Accuracy is the name of the game on this IEM. Bass is great but is a bit overpowering, I breifly tried bass ports and can tell just forget about it, ASG sounds best with bass port fully closed. I use stock cable from Aurisonics but then will try gold silver from Tralucent to see what changes.

Oh, no, nearly forgot, black space is amazingly black on ASG2, damn, this baby really delivers, Buddy Guy experience on them was amazing, more 2D but so intimate that I could not hold back a wide smile. Great...

Very nice product Aurisonics, bravo Dale :)

NB: funnily I did not expect ASG to be what they are, I would call them stage monitors. They shine on acoustic material and voices do sound really great if not the best of what I heard. Audition begins but initial impressions are positive. I cannot understand what pissed UnityS so much about them. Excuse me for mistakes and misspels but iPad typing is pain in rear and I am lazy to do corrections.

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #2,647 of 7,021
One conclusion straight away: ASG2 beats RDB+v1 hands down, no comparison :frowning2:
Clarity, black space, layering, you name it, all better on ASG2. The only plus for v1 is spacious stage but this is more wide stereo like than 3D unlike on 1+2. I am sorry about telling this as it pains me. V1 is nice product but not in the leagues of ASG2 :frowning2:((

Do not get me wrong, v1 is good product and some may find more appeal in spacious stage and shimmering highs and huha effect, but for me Aurisonics is just much more accurate and better sounding.

What is clear is ASG is different IEM which I would not compare 1:1 with v1 or H200 or 1+2, it is special one and I would call it studio sound into our ears, something I nearly forgot after my ages long time ago visit in record studio. Amazing and can be complimentary to my 1+2 without any problem. What is clear v1 goes on sale now.

Ufff ... I am spinning record after record and what I hear makes me smile.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #2,648 of 7,021
... And boom goes the dynamite. Now that James and Gintaras have weighed in, I'm requestin that Muzak hops off his ivory tower treetop and flutters down for a listen. Then this hype train can depart and Eke's thread can be locked :D

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #2,649 of 7,021
all i can say is :-D

boy, studio monitors at their best, listen now to Natash St.Pier's Longueur D'Ondes, before her Buddy Guy smashed me and bass palpation on BoneyM's Night Flight to Venus sucked my brain... oh and George Benson's fingers touching strings left me emotionally full... In the middle of audition came in my wife and asked me why I am moaning and murmuring... she felt jealous glancing at small black babies in my ears :)

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #2,650 of 7,021
Quote:
Finally ASG2 are in my hands (and ears)...

Very nice first impressions...

(... except for the parts where you say the ASG-2s are all about accuracy and my review is spot on, which kinda makes my head explode. 
wink.gif
)

Quote:
... And boom goes the dynamite.

^ This.
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #2,651 of 7,021
James, no disagreements except for that i use Rwak which really shines and makes things perhaps a bit different, and i also hear bit more highs than you heard in your review, what i wish is bit more air around cymbals and more sparkle.

So I stand by what I said, ASG is really something that sounds like studio monitors in pro studio except perhaps for bass where a bit of overpowering goes in lower mid bass... Otherwise I am stupidly in love with ASG and believe I can understand what Dale wanted to convey to us with these babies. Excellent job which needs some tuning to make my socks fly off :)

But James, do not worry, real torture tests are ahead, right now I spin Waltz 2 from Jazz Suite of Shostakovich and .... yep this is not easy on ASG but then only 1+2 passed this with high marks. ASG has bit more closeness, strings like violins have bit metalic tint and the whole performance becomes a bit smeared but not badly, just not best of what I heard, at the same Chris Isaak's Baby Did Bad Bad Thing sounds gorgeuous, only slight hint of harshness in mid bass, guitar reefs are well conveyed though ASG feels bit stressed in aggressive transients... Lets see what happens next, torture test begins.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #2,652 of 7,021
Thanks for the ramblings impressions, Ginny! I've added them to the first post. Keep 'em coming, they're more than entertaining.

Very nice first impressions...

(... except for the parts where you say the ASG-2s are all about accuracy and my review is spot on, which kinda makes my head explode. 
wink.gif
)

Quote:
James, no disagreements except for that i use Rwak which really shines and makes things perhaps a bit different, and i also hear bit more highs than you heard in your review, what i wish is bit more air around cymbals and more sparkle.

Damn right, Ginny! You tell him! It's all about the source, baby. Upgrade your source, upgrade your life.

Quote:
... And boom goes the dynamite. Now that James and Gintaras have weighed in, I'm requestin that Muzak hops off his ivory tower treetop and flutters down for a listen. Then this hype train can depart and Eke's thread can be locked
biggrin.gif

Nah, I think our Moody Sparrow just blew his new earphone budget on a set of SD2s. Besides, if the thread got locked, what excuse would I have to borrow other people's uber expensive gear??

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #2,653 of 7,021
Quote:
Nah, I think our Moody Sparrow just blew his new earphone budget on a set of SD2s.

Well, that and the Parterres... And anyway, isn't Muzak from Austria? Maybe I'm confusing him with dfkt, another bird dude. 

Besides, if the thread got locked, what excuse would I have to borrow other people's uber expensive gear??

Well, if Soundfreaq agrees to take the 1P2 off of my hands then I've got a DX100 comin' in so, you're welcome to listen to that :wink:

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #2,654 of 7,021
Eke, yeahhh mate ... We all need chill out :)

But ASG2 is damn interesting IEM which has big appeal at least for me. Really no joke I was not expecting this, surprise for me.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #2,655 of 7,021
Quote:
... And boom goes the dynamite. Now that James and Gintaras have weighed in, I'm requestin that Muzak hops off his ivory tower treetop and flutters down for a listen. Then this hype train can depart and Eke's thread can be locked
biggrin.gif

Perhaps precisely because I live in an ivory tower on a treetop I usually don't get to try all this lovely gear many of you get to try — guess if I wasn't so sweet and charming and was, instead, a little more grumpy, a couple of manufacturers would be desperate to send me review samples. Case in point: there are now pleeenty of people who have auditioned the 1p2s (been sent to them), but our very sweet loving sparrow hasn't yet tried them — perhaps his utter love for the Kings of Incoherence, (aka the K3003s), which makes him utterly biased, has prevented him from being part of that particular privileged lot...... or perhaps our cheerful sparrow's ears are more digital than analogue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back