REVIEW: 20 Headphones Compared
Dec 11, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #211 of 368
My caveat is always 'choices in audio is very subjective'. Having said that I would like to thank you for the list. Being new to the scene, I have begun to appreciate the music I get and am charting path from my progression from the 650 I have now.

I am surprised with the HE-6 quality, this being from a company with very little pedegree and possibly development money. It also means that Hifiman can begun to charge a premium for their top end design, the cost line has been set by the other already;they can milk the financial windfall (If there is one). I will be looking at the HE-6 as a possible replacement.

Thanks again. 

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #212 of 368

Quote:
Quote:
David,

Whats the best soundstage in the mid-fi range in your opinion? <11º

Hey there,

Probably the K701/K702 and the DT880 are the best mid-fi cans in terms of emphasis on soundstage.  I think the DT880 are a better headphone but the K701 has a greater emphasis on soundstage.  I would post more but I'm outside.

I did own both the K701 and DT880 at the same time for several months and completely agree with your assessment too.
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #213 of 368

Quote:
Don't expect massive bass response even for a bass heavy pair.  The R10's bass is tad less in quantity than those of the HD-800 but just as wonderful.  

I can get massive bass response with my bass-heavy pair depending on what tubes I use. I tend to think the R10s bass response really depends on what amp you've got powering it.

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #214 of 368

Quote:
Skylab,

Congrats on acquiring the R10.  I'm assuming you bought Arron's?  We are looking forward for your review.  Don't expect massive bass response even for a bass heavy pair.  The R10's bass is tad less in quantity than those of the HD-800 but just as wonderful.

If you really feel this way it is possible that you have not heard the bass heavy pair?  Bass Heavy R10 has extreme quantities of bass even on an unpowerful amp.  HD800 much less so.  I would call the R10s sometimes bass-tilted depending on the amp.  I could never call the HD800 that.

Dec 12, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #216 of 368
Like I said these R10 headphones are so obscure they aren't relavant ,  not only do you have to search for months,   spend several thousand dollars but also hope that you get a "bass heavy" pair?  

I hope they bring them back into production 'cause they sound great but procuring them and owning them just isn't practical anymore.  It is ashame,  but they are very much a dinosaur.  Can you imagine a damaged voicecoil and trying to find a matched driver,  that would be $7k down the drain.

I'm sticking with my Magnum Symphonies as the best headphone right now,  they are a bit obscure but nothing I've heard sounds as good and the company that makes them still sell and support them  ( I couldn't relax enough to enjoy the R10s I heard.)  David I really recommend you give them a shot,  they sound good thru the Pinnacle.

Dec 12, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #217 of 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but procuring them and owning them just isn't practical anymore. 

I more or less agree. That said, I don't think that excludes them from people writing about them, listing them as the best headphone ever, or whatever. I just think that headphiles should look elsewhere for audio nirvana given the situation.

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #218 of 368

Quote:
Quote:

I more or less agree. That said, I don't think that excludes them from people writing about them, listing them as the best headphone ever, or whatever. I just think that headphiles should look elsewhere for audio nirvana given the situation.

Absolutely,  but reading about them is fun,  kind of like dear pen-house letters
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #219 of 368
I really regret that the two times I had the chance, I couldn't try the R10s for longer than a few hours. It would be awesome to compare them, balanced, with the LCD-2s and Symphones Magnums (I second Regal in his comments about them -- they are unholy good with jazz, possibly better than the orthos in all but absolute resolution).

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #220 of 368

Quote:
Quote:

Even I agree with this.  There is nothing "practical" about it
biggrin.gif
  But life is short. 

I certainly enjoyed reading David's thoughts here on the R10.  And I know at least some of you are looking forward to reading my comparison of the R10 and the Edition 10, even if you secretly hate me for being in a position to write it
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #221 of 368

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Even I agree with this.  There is nothing "practical" about it
biggrin.gif
  But life is short. 

I certainly enjoyed reading David's thoughts here on the R10.  And I know at least some of you are looking forward to reading my comparison of the R10 and the Edition 10, even if you secretly have me for being in a position to write it
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue_smile.gif

TOTALLY! 
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #222 of 368

I certainly enjoyed reading David's thoughts here on the R10.  And I know at least some of you are looking forward to reading my comparison of the R10 and the Edition 10, even if you secretly have me for being in a position to write it
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Absolutely! I have no plans to own either, as at this point I'm much more interested in upgrading my source. After that, I plan to do a shootout between the KGSS-HV and the WEE. I'd still love to know what you think of those two though, for the same reason I love to read about Rockports and Magicos.

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #224 of 368
Great post--very helpful in bringing me back up to speed.

Quote:
I also would have sold this headphone after 2-3 hours of listening to my amp back then, I was really disappointed until like "MrSpenkelink" noted, I decided to plug them into my stereo receiver and I was floored. This opened my eyes to what this headphone was capable of, and decided to invest and purchase the HA-5000 amplifier specifically designed for the W5000's. I will never forget the first time I listened to this combo, It was truly spectacular. I should start bringing my set-up to meets, and people can hear for themselves that the combo is remarkable, so I am not surprised that many people have variable opinions on this headphone, since I would also have disliked them if not for my "experimentations". Maybe one day, I can hit up a meet near New York and bring my system! Though everyone has their preferences, and even with the proper amplification some still may not like them, to each his own! Happy listening! 

Yeah, I have about 5 hrs on my W5000. The first listen was discouraging to say the least with the top rolled off, the mids overly warm, and the lower registers being somewhat soft and bloated. OTOH, I can hear faint micro-details that leave a hopeful attitude, and the overall sound has opened up some. Will burn in for 100 hr.

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #225 of 368
I could never hate you, Skylab. Reading about some of this stuff is just as fun as hearing it sometimes, especially when I am reading smackdowns or shootouts between fierce competitors! The trumpets sound, the gallant knights surge forward on their chargers, ready for the ultimate sacrifice! The clash is monumental, and it shakes the universe! The kind of bravery displayed has never been seen before! 

Oh. Where was I? The R10s and the ED10s. I look forward to a review.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back