Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Jul 18, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #1,832 of 2,480
Thanks guys,
i will look into all the mentionend amps.
And sorry for offtopic
redface.gif

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #1,833 of 2,480
I just wanted to add my view of the Concero HD, which I owned for about 9 months, and just changed because I needed more inputs.

I use it in a speaker set up(Totem Forest, Jungson Hedo 200w amp), not headphones, but wanted to give some observations as they seem to differ with the last few opinions mentioned.

I now have the Yulong DA8, and have also had the Simaudio 100D, Asus Essence one muses as the last couple of dacs.

In my system, I have not found the Concero HD at all edgy or thin. If anything, it has a bit more body than the DA8(using the first filter, no filter is a different story) or the 100D. I fond the tonal balance very good. The things I note compared to my new DA8 are that is has less depth and a bit less width in the sound stage, and thicker base (a bit more/slower, less detail), and if anything, the DA8 seems to be a bit brighter, but there is a bit more body on the voices and instruments.

Again, in my system, I somewhat prefer the DA8, mainly because it is the DAC that give me the most holographic imaging in my current configuration (the room is a bit difficult).

I am not quite sure why there is such a difference between my observations and some others, could be that I am using speakers, but it is funny that I see the Concero HD as warmer than the DA8 when others see it the other way around. I like them both very much.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there.
Cheers,
DGently

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #1,834 of 2,480
In my experience speakers are much less likely to get that harsh edgy sound, at least ive never experienced on any system that i've ever ran or sampled. Not saying it's impossible but it seems to be much harder.  I think if your system manages to give the HE-500 an edge to it, something is definitely not synergistic there.

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #1,836 of 2,480
Slowly but surely i get a feeling for The Concero (SD).

I comparing the concero to the Audinst hud mx1.
Altough i have to switch headphonejacks and usb i hear a good difference.

The Concero is more focused where as the Audinst is more softer but not as clear.
Concero is delicate in reproducing my music, but has a little less bass than the Audinst but hits more crisp than the hud mx1.

Like i said i I'm slowly get a feeling and have about 160 hours on the Resonessence device.

After some additional time with these dac's there is no doubt Concero is better by quite a margin.

I have to confess that with the Audiolab M-DAC i've never experienced what i have with the Concero.
Let's just say it's good i sold my M-DAC Which isn't a bad dac per se but i experienced him rather dry and polite, the concero is more liquid.

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #1,837 of 2,480
Ok, i got about 174 hours on the concero.
One thing bothers me though. the dac is incredibly crisp and i'm asking if its intended like this.
Sometimes i find the sound to be too hard.

Ok i know it's supposed to sound cleaner than my 170 dollar Audinst hud mx 1 but i'm starting to wonder how crisp and clear the hd version is when my concero is pretty much borderline.
So yeah is the Concero for somebody else also so crisp or will it go away after some time?

After reading the review in audiostream i see many paralles with my observation.
But honestly i'm surprised even my Audiolab M-DAC wasn't so clean.
It would be nice if i could power the concero with batteries or something to see if it would benefit from a nice powersource.

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #1,838 of 2,480
  Ok, i got about 174 hours on the concero.
One thing bothers me though. the dac is incredibly crisp and i'm asking if its intended like this.
Sometimes i find the sound to be too hard.

Ok i know it's supposed to sound cleaner than my 170 dollar Audinst hud mx 1 but i'm starting to wonder how crisp and clear the hd version is when my concero is pretty much borderline.
So yeah is the Concero for somebody else also so crisp or will it go away after some time?

After reading the review in audiostream i see many paralles with my observation.
But honestly i'm surprised even my Audiolab M-DAC wasn't so clean.
It would be nice if i could power the concero with batteries or something to see if it would benefit from a nice powersource.

I would not call the Concero crisp based on my experience with it and I think you have plenty of hours on it.  I would call the HE-500 and Matrix combo a bit crisp in my experience but it depends on which opamp you are using in the Matrix. 

And sometimes computers can actually sound a bit crisp without some tweaks or if you are using the computer for doing something else while listening. At least in the mac world, things get more relaxed and natural sounding as you tweak the computer.

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #1,839 of 2,480
you could be right, about the HE500 and matrix combo sounding crisp.
Using the AKG 240DF now and it's not as sharp as the other combo.

Anyway i contacted Resonessence about this and they confirmed that they will have a look at it. but the last thing i want is wasting other peoples time.

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #1,840 of 2,480
Happy that somebody else also likes the Concero more than the Audiolab M-DAC! It is definitely more musical and cleaner sounding.

I don't know how similar sounding the Lehmann BCL and M-stage are since the last is a clone of the former, but I'd definitely put the BCL in the crisp category with the HE-500. The Emotiva Mini-X is slightly warmer and far more dynamic sounding, but also borderline crisp with certain material. I would attribute it more to the headphone and the amp rather than the DAC. The Concero plays very clean and it does not sound overly crisp when used in my Hi-Fi with the very transparent KEF LS50 speakers.

You could also experiment with interconnects, preferably good copper, I found silver ICs could add to the crisper sound. Also thinking of moving back to a tube/hybrid amplifier.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #1,841 of 2,480
I just discovered that i had the old Thesycon 1.67 or something drivers installed. now i installed the 2.16 and i will observe if the issue still exists.
Edit: Looks like the fatigue sound is gone, now the click and clacks in the background of the music are tamed and not so piercing and yes i also like the dac more than the m-dac.

just tried Fidelizer 5.0 and noticed a certain hardness, i can't say for sure but i may be that fidelizer has something to do with it.
anyways i'm happy with the sound of this wonderful dac.

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #1,842 of 2,480
Hi all,
I have a question.
When i use the RUSBAudio Asio drivers from Resonessence in Foobar with Concero i can not alter the volume through the little speaker symbol in the lower right corner, so that means it bypasses the Win 7 Kernel mixer. But what's strange is that i can still hear Youtube videos even when i play music on foobar.

With Wasapi i don't hear any other sound beside the foobar playing music.
Why is that?

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #1,844 of 2,480
  When i use the RUSBAudio Asio drivers from Resonessence in Foobar with Concero i can not alter the volume through the little speaker symbol in the lower right corner, so that means it bypasses the Win 7 Kernel mixer. But what's strange is that i can still hear Youtube videos even when i play music on foobar. With Wasapi i don't hear any other sound beside the foobar playing music. Why is that?

Perhaps the ASIO driver doesn't force exclusive mode like wasapi?

^^ That. ^^

ASIO doesn't lock out other sounds. That's why I prefer WASAPI.

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #1,845 of 2,480
Oh alright,
good to know although asio4all does lock out other sounds for me.
but then again as long as it runs bit-perfect it's all good.

anyway believe it or not the sound from the concero became definitely better, i notice this because of the rendering of the voices AND i've noticed i don't switch the songs so often but rather stay listening through the whole song. The sound became more addictive.
Little transients of sound are now portrayed more accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back