Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Jul 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #1,817 of 2,480
Has anyone had any peculiar reliability issues with their Conceros? Mine (HD) just got back from being serviced a month ago or so, and it's already acting up again. I feel like I haven't really read of much trouble with these, wondering if I just ended up with a cursed unit. I would question the quality of my power (hub) or something, but the units seem to be designed to make up for USB power issues pretty well, so... 

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #1,818 of 2,480
  Has anyone had any peculiar reliability issues with their Conceros? Mine (HD) just got back from being serviced a month ago or so, and it's already acting up again. I feel like I haven't really read of much trouble with these, wondering if I just ended up with a cursed unit. I would question the quality of my power (hub) or something, but the units seem to be designed to make up for USB power issues pretty well, so... 

Could you specify acting up?

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #1,819 of 2,480
  Could you specify acting up?

Sure, didn't really think it was relevant since I'm just curious if anyone's unit has been unreliable to the point where they've had to had it serviced multiple times, but here goes... First time the USB functionality was flaking out... it just wouldn't register on my system intermittently. I believe that it would still play audio on the occasions that it was showing up. The S/PDIF input worked, but the resulting playback was out of phase. Now, it's simply not been playing audio from the USB connection, despite showing up in my system. It seems to be getting the USB audio, as it knows whether it's getting low- or high-res audio (upsampling filters can be applied, light changes color on low-res). But, no audio. S/PDIF still functioning (and playback is in phase). Last night it stopped showing up on my system as well.

I'm hesitant to write all that because I think I'm an outlier here, and I'm really just curious if anyone else has had recurring issues... But by all accounts, they seem like reliable devices. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #1,820 of 2,480
Did you try to disable Onboard Sound in bios?
Maybe some other sound device is interfering.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #1,821 of 2,480
  Did you try to disable Onboard Sound in bios?
Maybe some other sound device is interfering.

Nothing changed on my machine, it simply stopped one day. Tried multiple machines. Also, no other USB audio devices are giving me trouble. Seeing as it was sent back, found to be malfunctioning, and serviced the first time, and the current behavior is so similar... Pretty sure it's the unit. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #1,822 of 2,480
Hmm, okay definitely sounds like a faulty unit when it happens on multiple machines.
Sorry to hear that.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #1,825 of 2,480
  I am sure you have checked this, but make sure that the volume on the software you using is not turned off. Try different softwares 

Yes, again, multiple machines, multiple pieces of software, all other similar devices work. Really wasn't posing this as a troubleshooting exercise, just didn't know if anyone else had had multiple failures, and if it could be pinned to anything (like USB power) vs. just poor luck.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #1,826 of 2,480
I had the hardest trying getting the original Concero to work properly on my laptops. One of them was xp and the other was linux so it was through two OS as well. I eventually ended up using a usb/spdif to get it to work which defeats the purpose. I have the Concero HP now which works just fine without any issues.

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,827 of 2,480
Just checking in here since it's been a while.  Figured I would post my experience with the Concero HD in the past while to maybe give some people a few ideas as to the sound and certain pairings.  If you are into solid state gear and are sensitive to sibilance, the concero may not be for you depending on your.  I tried my concero straight in to my Bakoon 5210mk3 amp, and even with a phone as easy to listen to as the he-500, it was still too edgy for me due to the extremely revealing nature of the high energy bakoon amp. The bakoon is a great amp, but it paired much better with my MHDT Labs dac (sold).  As a compromise I was using a low end tube preamp which likely took a lot away but made it easier to keep my phones on through extended periods at my PC.

I've since paired my Concero HD with my recently repaired Taboo amp, and the match is exceptional on both speakers and headphones.  The wide, deep stage provided by the concero does well with the organic, natural sound of the taboo. I think the strengths of these two products really do each other well to make a special combination. More so than any of the gear that I have previously owned.

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #1,828 of 2,480
I suppose you talk about the Decware Zen Taboo?
Do you happen to know if they have a budget Tube amp (300$ - 500$) which would drive the Hifiman He-500 in an appropriate manner?

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #1,829 of 2,480
  I suppose you talk about the Decware Zen Taboo?
Do you happen to know if they have a budget Tube amp (300$ - 500$) which would drive the Hifiman He-500 in an appropriate manner?

(sorry off thread topic of concero)

Yes the taboo. Mine is the MK2 so I got it for cheaper than the current model which has upgraded caps and a number of features. Their cheapest amp I know of is the Zen Triode which does not come with a HP jack as far as I can tell.  I believe all their amps would drive the HE-500 well.  Really all the 500 takes is a good quality amp. I never personally found power quantity to be an issue. Any nice amp will do. I'd try to stck with 500mw into 32 as a guideline. and 250mw into 32ohms as a minimum.  Quality power / quality amplification is MUCH more important than the quantity of power. From my understanding my version of the taboo is only about ~1W into the he-500.  

If you're on that kind of budget I would recommend something like the ALO Pan Am DAC/Amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back