Reconfiguring my rig - Random updates on the journey
Oct 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #106 of 222
What I want is stand alone, 24/96 from USB, something over 350 mW per channel. Dacport isn't stand alone, but I think checks the rest of the boxes, except it is also 8 ohm output impedance. I'd rather it be below 5 ohm, but probably ok with the ortho's. They have a flat impedance vs. freq. curve.

Any other ideas?

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #108 of 222
Quote:
What I want is stand alone, 24/96 from USB, something over 350 mW per channel. Dacport isn't stand alone, but I think checks the rest of the boxes, except it is also 8 ohm output impedance. I'd rather it be below 5 ohm, but probably ok with the ortho's. They have a flat impedance vs. freq. curve.
Any other ideas?

Random listings... iBasso D6/12, Leckerton UHA-6mk2, Practical Devices XM6, Matrix Mini Portable (not sure if it has 350mW power though)...

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #109 of 222
I keep hinting at the UHA 6 MKII as it is a huge upgrade over the UHA4. The Pico and UHA4 are not comparable at all. The DACport LX isn't standalone but pair it with a good portable amp and it's audio bliss.

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #111 of 222
The Leckerton 6SmkII is not 24/96 via USB. I do downsample all of my 24/96 for idevice use, but I would like to be able to enjoy it in native format from a laptop rig. I've owned the dacport LX, and traded for the dacport with class A amp. Both were excellent, and I could go back to a dacport, it had a bunch of power and sounded great. It isn't stand alone, and it is about 10 ohm output impedance. Not deal killers. The practical devices stuff always interested me. The XM-6 is $395 though, and dacport is $399, though closer to $300 used. I'm interested in the ibasso stuff also. I've heard mixed reviews on fit and finish. Any feedback on the ibasso stuff? I guess I'll just keep cruising the FS section until an interesting deal pops up. I'm trying to find a good 24/96 USB dac and amp combo, and stay under $300, the closer to $200, the better. I did some reading on the Headfonia site regarding the Fiio Alpen, or E17. I haven't seen power specs on it yet, but it seems interesting. I usually snobbishly snub the Fiio stuff, but kind of like the new Hyundai and Kia, they may be worth paying some attention. I'm fine with a ford or chevy level solution - doesn't have to be a mercedes or ferarri...

Oh, and what is the difference between D6 and D12? Obvious ones - D12 has optical inputs, which don't matter to me - macbook air is usb only. D6 advertises 650mW x 2 into 32 ohm, which is in the neighborhood I'm looking for.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #112 of 222
Off the top of my head I don't think the e17 has as much power as you're looking for... but don't quote me on that. 

I've had the iBasso D10 for a while now. It's quite good, though I don't really use it these days (too many toys... you know the drill) except when evaluating new gear. I've always found their build quality to be excellent. 

The D6 is basically trading the D12's versatility for power, and requires external charging since it has a higher voltage battery.

Hmm another option might be the new Meier PCstep. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #114 of 222
I was just reading on the forums (but can't find it now) that you can get the dacport factory modded to under 1ohm output impedance. Not sure on the cost, but maybe an option to look into. There's also the iBasso D7 which is another usb dac/amp only, but is also the only other usb dac I know of that runs in class A. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #115 of 222

I was just reading on the forums (but can't find it now) that you can get the dacport factory modded to under 1ohm output impedance. Not sure on the cost, but maybe an option to look into. There's also the iBasso D7 which is another usb dac/amp only, but is also the only other usb dac I know of that runs in class A. 

I've considered that - $100.-- adder though, I emailed them about it a while back.  I'd really like a stand alone option, as it would be nice to use with an ipod on occasion.  I may decide the little Pico Slim is enough, but I'd like to try something with a bit more volt-amps.

Here's what I have so far:

amp Price Current Voltage Watts @ Ohms Resolution
Pico Slim Have 0.22 4.1     na
Pico D/A $350 used 0.22 8     16/48
Pico Power ??? 0.22 16     na
DacPort $300 used 0.34? 4.4 1.5 32 24/96
iBasso D6 $275 new   12.6 .650 x 2 32  
iBasso D7 ???   5      
Matrix Mini $349         24/96
RSA Predator $475 new          

Lots of blanks...

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #116 of 222
More bait dangling... http://centrance.com/products/hifi-m8/

cool.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #117 of 222
Quote:

I'm very intrigued by this.  I like Centrance's stuff.  @ $699, I'll wait for someone to offload theirs in the FS forum for $500-ish in a few months.  If it is as good as most of Centrance's offerings, it could be one box nirvana for me.

Oh, and thanks for the carrot on a stick - I do find your baiting infinitely entertaining!  It seems you feel the same.  Cheers -

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #118 of 222
There's a thread somewhere on the forums. They're offering a 20% off preorder price after RMAF.

/more carrots 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back