Reconfiguring my rig - Random updates on the journey
Feb 27, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #211 of 222
Got the Ether C, then the 1.1 upgrade. Balanced DUM cable, which is a nice cable. I just now bought a used HD650. I've been wanting to get another pair ever since I sold my last pair. I still have the Carbon, no Mojo or other portable solution as of yet. Well, the iPhone. Ether C sounds better than one would expect from the iPhone. Also still have my 1964 ears ciems.

I'm really liking the Ether C by the way. The simple $10 upgrade to 1.1 was a strong improvement in balance across the frequency range, smoothness and cohesion. I generally also use one black tuning felt to take the edge off the treble - I'm pretty treble sensitive.

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #212 of 222
Update, just for fun.  The Liquid Carbon left.  I was not using it after getting the Liquid Crimson.  A Questyle QP1R has entered the scene.  It has really good sound quality.  Way better than I'd expect from a DAP.  It is also a really nice transport using optical into my Dac-19.  It does not offer streaming, and this *may* be it's downfall for me.  I'm not sure yet.  Wonderful sound, drives the Ether C very well, makes my old 1964 Ears Quads sound really good.  No streaming.........

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #213 of 222
Update, just for fun.  The Liquid Carbon left.  I was not using it after getting the Liquid Crimson.  A Questyle QP1R has entered the scene.  It has really good sound quality.  Way better than I'd expect from a DAP.  It is also a really nice transport using optical into my Dac-19.  It does not offer streaming, and this *may* be it's downfall for me.  I'm not sure yet.  Wonderful sound, drives the Ether C very well, makes my old 1964 Ears Quads sound really good.  No streaming.........

Nice. Have you looked into the new Studio 6? Really enjoying it as a portable solution and bang for your buck in terms of pure sound quality.

I liked it so much I packed up my Triad L3 and Firestone PSU and brought it over to the other house. I tend to stay in town when working but normally not bothered to brings extras lol.

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #216 of 222
  Oh - Hisound.  I had a less than stellar experience with the Rocoo BA.  Sounds like this might be better?

Yeah I think the sound quality is much better personally. Plus you have 4 signature options to choose from. A and B modes for both the HO and LO. I am extremely impressed with 3 of those functions as is. Love the B mode for my IEMs. A mode is great for more power and powering dynamic drivers IMO. Loved that on the Flat 4 Sui.

UI is also more friendly than before. There is a back button function added. More music formats. They are working on DSD support still with future firmware updates.

The unit is a bit thicker than the Rocoo BA. Not a ton though. Battery life is about 30 hours. Amazing portable..... When amped via the setup above it definitely hangs with my AK 120 S-mod unit. This unit beats players in the $1000+ range IMO in terms of pure sound quality, versatility with the signatures, portability, battery life..... The UI of course is not world class by any means. Rather basic. Does what I need it to do though. I am hoping they will improve it a bit more in this regards. I am set with my go to portable DAP nonetheless :).

Apr 20, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #217 of 222
I like the QP1R, UI is a bit clunky still.  No streaming kinda kills it for me though.  The Studio 6 doesn't stream Tidal or anything does it?

I may be stuck with phone and another device, which always works out to be a Kluge of some sort or other.  I might just go the iFi iDSD or something and a long phone cord if I decide to bail on the QP1R.  

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #218 of 222
Yeah unfortunately it doesn't do streaming. DigitalFreak did mention while plugging it in via usb in his car it connected with his car stereo and played music.

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #220 of 222
Good to hear. I mainly use S6 for portable usage. Will use the S-mod again once I replace battery charge port in the T1 amp. Really couldn't ask for more in terms of portability, power and battery life in one unit :).

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #222 of 222
Woohoo!  I had stumbled across this thread last week or so.  It started with the "up numbered" up market AK players, and was promised for the modest AK100ii (which is actually perfect for my use) *later*.  About 6:45 this morning, I fire up my AK100ii and am treated to a firmware update opportunity including Tidal.  Installed and working nicely!

This is a game changer for me.  When I stream Tidal for headphone listening it is via WIFI for almost always, and with my Mojo.  If I'm using a phone to stream Tidal, I don't need my mojo as I am using my ciems and traveling light.  Using the Ether C?  Wifi is available 99% of the time.  I'm stoked, stoked, stoked - no more constant stack restacking!

So, for the record, 5+ years after starting this thread, the rigs are:

Portable:
AK100ii
Chord Mojo
1964 Ears (I think they've changed the name at some point) Quads, the original ones
OR - Ether C

Bedside
AK100ii / iPhone / Macbook Air
Audio-gd Dac19 10th anniversary (not the NOS one)
Cavalli Liquid Crimson

Downstairs:
Peachtree Nova with a half decent built in headphone amplifier
I often use the AK100ii + Mojo into an auxilliary for the source, rather than the Peachtree onboard dac, both for speakers and the occasional headphone listening I do through this rig.

That's it for now.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back