Reconfiguring my rig - Random updates on the journey
Nov 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #197 of 222
Now you just have to set up your speaker rig...
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #199 of 222
More random suggestions:
http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A2-plus-B-Powered-Desktop-Speakers
http://outlet.nuforce.com/nuforce-s3-bt-wireless-bluetooth-cd-quality-loudspeaker-refurbished/

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #200 of 222
Wow. I haven't been here in a while. A couple of notes - my 1964 Ears quads died. It turned out to be ear lube jell in ine of the tubes. During the repair, I also had them adjust the fit for a second time. They fit better than ever, and work good as new.

I also have an amb mini3 that drives even my Alpha dogs quite well.

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #201 of 222
Hey aammefford, first off this is a really fun thread. I have a quick question for ya though: how do your quads compare to the Alpha Dogs? I'm having a hard time deciding between the 1964 Ears V3 and the Quads, and I've spent plenty of time with the Alpha Dogs so it's a good frame of reference.

Specifically the soundstaging and imaging, mids (for vocals), and bass (depth, quantity) if you don't mind. Thanks a million!!!

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #202 of 222
@Wild, thank you for the kind words!  As to the Quads and Alphas; I've considered the question as well.  

I'll start with another point of reference - the Denon D7000's.  The Quads are the ciem version of the D7000's (at least to me).  The Quad's highs are detailed and articulate, the mids are not as scooped out as the Denons.  The bass has a really similar quality to the D7000's - powerful, robust, and bleeds into the mids a bit, which causes them to seem just a little scooped out.  The D7000's suffered a bit more from this.  Note that while this sounds pretty negative - it is not.  I loved the D7000's, and they have a cult following that has driven the used price way up.  The Quads have a similar warm, bass emphasized sound signature.  The bass is boosted on the quads - have no doubt about that.  It is boosted on the D7000 also.  Both are really enjoyable headphones.

Now the Alphas.  I've been listening to planers almost exclusively for the last year and half or more.  There is something that the planers have, that balanced armatures do not.  Some little bit of life and reality or something.  I didn't notice it missing so much when I was listening with dynamic headphones.  Pretty vague, hard for me to describe.  I'll leave it at that.

The Alphas are near neutral with a nod to the warm.  They are Dan's interpretation of neutral / reference / summit fi / accurate to live sound.  I love them, Dan hits my preferred sound sig right in the small circle on the bull's eye.  Not exact though.  I love the Oppo PM-1's.  I think Dan, not so much.

Anyway - the Alphas are not (or not nearly as much) bass boosted.  They have deep, powerful, fast bass when called for.  The mids are present and luscious.  The highs vary depending on the doggie treat tuning.  Mine started out a bit edgy in places, and with one dot and one disk each ear, are near perfect.

The Quads are less forward in the mids, and less present in the treble, but incrementally, not drastically.  The bass is boosted over the Alphas, and has a bit more decay, and spans a broader frequency range due to the boost.  Alphas are more accurate, quads are more fun.

If you love the Alphas and want to mimic the sound signature, I would consider what ever is the new 1964 ears version of the triple driver that came out with the original quads. Based on reviews I've read (@project86's is a good one) of the triple, and my experience with the Quads (remember, mine are the old version, not the "i"), the triple, or whatever 1964 Ears' is tuning to that signature, will be a closer match.  If you want a nice, bassier counterpoint, the quads are probably the choice.

My tastes have changed such that I kinda wish I had the triples now.  I lean to less bass boosted, but still euphonic sound signature.  That said, most of my listening to ciems is when I fly.  The added bass stands above the airplane drone nicely.

Hope that helps.  if you have more questions, I'm happy to keep this going.  It's fun to see this thread pop back to life once in a while.  I think I started it back in 2011 or so to chronicle my journey....

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #203 of 222
  @Wild, thank you for the kind words!  As to the Quads and Alphas; I've considered the question as well.  

Hope that helps.  if you have more questions, I'm happy to keep this going.  It's fun to see this thread pop back to life once in a while.  I think I started it back in 2011 or so to chronicle my journey....

No problem my friend! Just wanted to let you know that sometimes these old threads are still being read. Thanks for taking the time to describe the differences for me. I'm sure it'll help other people as well.

As for the Quads, I feel like I'm inclined to go with your recommendation (if you call it that) with the triple driver from 1964 Ears. I used to love a bass-heavy sound signature, but being around Head-Fi for as long as I have, I've started straying away from that and moving towards a more balanced sound. It's funny you mention the D7000, since I've owned them in the past, and loved them. I still am kicking myself for selling them, but now I mostly use my HE500 and K712. The triples, from reviews, seems to be more along those lines (warm with a moderate bass bump) than the Quads.

Also, 1964 Ears has since updated the Quads to the "Qi" version, which from the very few impressions around seems to have brought the bass down a notch and the mids/highs up one so its a more balanced sound (still bass-heavy though). Definitely interesting though.

Thanks again Aamefford. I'll update if I decide one way or the other. Should be soon either way 
beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #205 of 222
I added an HRT Microstreamer and traded my mini3 for some speaker stands. The microstreamer is great with the PM-1's and Quads, but pretty soft with the Alpha Dogs. Ok for now, and I'll eventually do something else if I decide I need portable power for the Alphas.

Edit - with the lower power firmware, the Microstreamer works from my iphone with the CCK. Cool!

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #206 of 222
Wow, over a year. Potable for me died and then resurrected with a solo-db and ALO Rx Mk3-B. And then died again. Waiting on a Cavalli Liquid Carbon, and deciding which Ether to get. And trying to talk myself out of an NFB-1 amp. And added a dac-19. Ok that covers it for now. I'll check in in another year…

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #208 of 222
Mate, I think your journey parallels that of many here - falling in and out of love with portable gear whilst constantly asking ourselves whether the money might be better spent on desktop kit. Or non-essentials like food and shelter  :wink:

Subscribed. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #209 of 222
OK, got the Liquid Carbon, and love it - not surprising as I've heard a couple of the prototypes.  I liked it so much, I jumped on a used and well priced Cavalli Liquid Crimson.  I've also heard the Crimson in the past, and loved it.  The downside - I spent my headphone money.  This means the Oppo PM-1 may go, and the Liquid Carbon may even go.

Next up is a pair of Ether C, and maybe a Mojo for more portable use.  Once I liberate the PM-1's and/or the Carbon.

My dac has remained fairly stable as the Audio-gd Dac-19 10th Anniversary Edition.  A really nice, semi-affordable R2-R dac using the 1704 chip.  I'm looking to compare the Dac-19 to the BMB and the GMB to finally decide on a Dac.  My rig is getting more mature, with less trading around, though there are fits of it.  For instance, the 5 days with the Schiit Vali 2 that I bought on a whim on release day.  Extremely cool amp, by the way.  I turned around and sold it at a loss though with the Crimson incoming.

I'll report back in randomly once I get the Ether C and get some time with the Crimson, and the Mojo or whatever I get for portable (lounge chair) use.

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #210 of 222
*** NOTE ***
I changed the title and dropped the word "Portable" as my portable rig building has really slowed down.  The desk top / bedside rig is in a slowing state of flux, and has become the primary subject of this intermittent and random thread....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back