Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Nov 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #946 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would definately go with the Grado, they sound great and don't need an amp, would suggest getting a used one here on Head -Fi for sale forum as with your budget you can get something like an SR 225i or even SR325i, also there is a good chance that it will have sufficient burn-in therefore they would sound great from the start.
I'am awaiting my grados can't wait to compare them to the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II.
smily_headphones1.gif

thank you very much for your reply.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #947 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_Louis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want complete sound isolation because I need to hear a little when my boss talks to me.

2. Grado SR80i

I own these, and they are fantastic. They also do exactly what you describe above. You will hear outside sounds, people talking. Likewise, they will hear a bit of your music as well, but I'm going to guess you're not going to be blasting anything.

One thing that I wasn't expecting is how comfy they are. I have seen a lot of people post that Grados ache after an hour, and I'm not sure if it was the series before the "i" or not, but I can wear my 80i for hours and hours with no complaints.

Nov 28, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #948 of 1,076
Just wanted to get your guys' opinion on which phones I should get for my music taste vs. price. My budget is to keep it < $100. I have er6i's as my portable of choice and sometimes switch it with px-100's (i know they're completely different, but it just depends on where I go). Recently I don't go out as much anymore and I'm really just staying home and studying most of the time so I would like some home phones. My MAIN music of choice is RnB, trance, and techno. I was thinking of going to get Alessandro ms-1's, but not really sure. I also looked at the Grado SR 80i. Can you guys suggest which phones would work for my music taste? I'll be listening in my own room, very quiet, so leaks or anything would not matter.

Nov 28, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #949 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroGravity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to get your guys' opinion on which phones I should get for my music taste vs. price. My budget is to keep it < $100. I have er6i's as my portable of choice and sometimes switch it with px-100's (i know they're completely different, but it just depends on where I go). Recently I don't go out as much anymore and I'm really just staying home and studying most of the time so I would like some home phones. My MAIN music of choice is RnB, trance, and techno. I was thinking of going to get Alessandro ms-1's, but not really sure. I also looked at the Grado SR 80i. Can you guys suggest which phones would work for my music taste? I'll be listening in my own room, very quiet, so leaks or anything would not matter.

I also wanted to add that I do listen to house music as well which has quite a bit of bass. From what I hear, the Ms-1 lacks in bass sounds, but outside of those 2, feel free to suggest any phones.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #950 of 1,076
I'm looking for headphones (over the ear or in ear, whatever is best suited for my application)--I listen to a variety of things, but leaning towards big band jazz, broadway, piano-driven music (generally pop-esque), and a bit of older "bands with trumpets" (Blood Sweat and Tears, Chicago, Tower of Power). I don't want it to sound awful on classical, but that's not my primary concern.

My primary source is lossless rips on my MacBook Pro. If it's portable, I'd use it with my iPod as well, but that's not really a concern.

Budget is whatever is a great value in the $350-500 range. If it has a good external DAC that I could use with my stereo system at home (Integra receiver--which was purchased for surround sound, though I'm not using it for that--and Paradigm Studio 20s, connected by digital coax from my laptop) then I could justify going higher... up to $800 or so--but it would need to be a significant improvement in both areas external speakers and headphones, bearing in mind that I'll be using headphones the 9 months out of the year I'm at college.

At this point I'm at a bit of a loss--actually more confused than when I started reading! I'm considering just getting a pair of Shure SE420s or 530s and calling it a day, but since I have the option I'd like to at least consider alternatives.

I'm in Chicago... does anyone know of a store I can walk into and try out headphones?

Thanks!

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #951 of 1,076
Hello HI5!
I need your humble suggestions.

I currently have a NuForce Mobile amp conected to my laptop, with a Bose over ear headphone which I am looking to upgrade. I also have a Cmoy altoids.

I have been reading the forum for the last week or so, and decided to join, So Hi5 new Friends.!!

Looking for a new headphone with a nice bass, (<300$ on Amazon) that will improve my listening to Live Concerts, I love to listen to music on my bed before sleeping. Preferebly open back, unless you recommend a nice Close back.

So far, I have heard the AKG'S dont have a warm bass. The beyerdynamics have a nice bass but I doubt the Nuforce Icon mobile will have enough power to juice them. My music has been ripped in 320kps or FLAC. I am using itunes.

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #952 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by eocthermos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for headphones (over the ear or in ear, whatever is best suited for my application)--I listen to a variety of things, but leaning towards big band jazz, broadway, piano-driven music (generally pop-esque), and a bit of older "bands with trumpets" (Blood Sweat and Tears, Chicago, Tower of Power). I don't want it to sound awful on classical, but that's not my primary concern.

My primary source is lossless rips on my MacBook Pro. If it's portable, I'd use it with my iPod as well, but that's not really a concern.

Budget is whatever is a great value in the $350-500 range. If it has a good external DAC that I could use with my stereo system at home (Integra receiver--which was purchased for surround sound, though I'm not using it for that--and Paradigm Studio 20s, connected by digital coax from my laptop) then I could justify going higher... up to $800 or so--but it would need to be a significant improvement in both areas external speakers and headphones, bearing in mind that I'll be using headphones the 9 months out of the year I'm at college.

At this point I'm at a bit of a loss--actually more confused than when I started reading! I'm considering just getting a pair of Shure SE420s or 530s and calling it a day, but since I have the option I'd like to at least consider alternatives.

I'm in Chicago... does anyone know of a store I can walk into and try out headphones?

Thanks!

How about AKG k271? I have heard they drive well with the ipod

Dec 4, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #953 of 1,076
hello everybody....

i have purchased my cx300 3 mnths back and am absolutely loving them.....
now i wanna upgrade my headphones to some better ones.

i have two options.........HD485 and GRADO SR 60.
i live in a country where grados are not available so have to import them from singapore.

but sennheiser is available here locally.

so please help me regarding durability of grado as it wont be possible to replace them from here..also help in selecting one of them .....
i listen to every genre...

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #954 of 1,076
My needs are similar to those of curry09, but 'im looking for full sized cans. I have a macbook pro (mp3, movies, etc) and i'm thinking to acquire a presonus firestudio mobile to record mainly guitar. I'll try to get a good deal on ebay so price is a little unkown but i'm throwing at €100-€150. I listen to a lot of music, but i'd like to have those blues-rock sweet mids/highs. They must e comfortable and have good build quality.
I have in mind the DT880, AKG k702-k271, hd600, ath-m50, ah-d2000.
I'll buy a pmp this christmas, probably a cowon S9, but for that i want in ears so it isn't very important.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #955 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLO7_MACHIN3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have in mind the DT880, AKG k702-k271, hd600, ath-m50, ah-d2000.

Why do people keep putting the 701, 600 and 880 on their lists and not ask about the decent amp that they'll need to go with them?

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #956 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by kakode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello everybody....

i have purchased my cx300 3 mnths back and am absolutely loving them.....
now i wanna upgrade my headphones to some better ones.

i have two options.........HD485 and GRADO SR 60.
i live in a country where grados are not available so have to import them from singapore.

but sennheiser is available here locally.

so please help me regarding durability of grado as it wont be possible to replace them from here..also help in selecting one of them .....
i listen to every genre...

SR60's, although portable are not very durable. My HF-2's feel anything but sturdy. I've used some SR60's before and the plastic feels really cheap. If I had to choose, I'd take a sennheiser product.

EDIT: Might I add I've listened to HD595's and 650's for hours at a time. I really prefer the build quality and comfort that is sennheiser. The sound is alright as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #957 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do people keep putting the 701, 600 and 880 on their lists and not ask about the decent amp that they'll need to go with them?

I just put them together because they seem to be good options. As i mentioned, the only thing that will drive the headphone will be the macbook and the presonus ill probably buy. In the near future maybe ill acquire an amp. Btw what do you sugest on the cheap(~price of the Hphones)?

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #959 of 1,076
For rock music the Grado SR80 is the beginner's Holy Grail.
If you are new to high end audio, do yourself a favor and buy a pair, sit back with a silly grin on your face and enjoy!!!
They offer the detail the SR60's offer, but with a much improved bass.
Then come back and thank me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back