Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Oct 10, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #916 of 1,076
The Alessandro MS-1i's have plenty of bass/warmth, but I'm often weary of open cans and hip-hop. My Shure SRH-840's on the other hand handle most hip-hop well. That said, for prog rock and most other forms of music, the Alessandros are simply the best way to go and offer amazing value, and--listening now--come to think of it, do do a fantastic job with east coast hip-hop like A Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang, Biggie; anything that has a bit of samples and grime to it. Not so much highly-polished west coast-style synthetic "gangsta" stuff, though. (I think this is the third time this week that I have rung in with an Alessandro plug, so sorry for sounding like a broken record!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #917 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by mafiaconfidant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need a suggestion for what headphones I should get.

I'm looking to spend under 150 dollars.
I listen to mostly metal / rock, so I'd like exceptional bass, but without bloat.
Mostly going to be used with my iPod or right out of my computer.
Needs to be reasonably durable.

Thanks for any suggestions.

One more time: Alessandro MS-1i's at $110 are a steal! You will not be disappointed if metal and rock are your main perversions!
happy_face1.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #918 of 1,076
Ok, I currently have some bose QC2's, I got them for 1/3rd the price used, but I am looking for some new ones (they are getting pretty beat up).

I like closed ear, mostly because it doesn't leak too much sound, it isolates me from the rest of the world, etc. I don't really need noise canceling, and don't really care what they look like. I know BOSE gets a lot of **** for their prices, etc. but I did like these headphones, if I could find something with the same or better quality at a good price (i'm thinking the $150 range), that would be awesome.

As for their use, it will only be music, don't really care how anything else sounds. I don't listen to rap, so although people seem to rave about bose's base, while I like this, it's not really a priority. I listen to mostly rock and a lot of live music (a lot of dave matthews band). I use them primarily at my desk in my room.

Suggestions?

I was reading this: Best Closed Headphones - 2009 Gear Guide | HeadRoom Audio

wondering what your guys thoughts are.

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #919 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more time: Alessandro MS-1i's at $110 are a steal! You will not be disappointed if metal and rock are your main perversions!
happy_face1.gif

The difference between the MS-1i and the MS-1 is just botique according to an Alessandro rep. MS-1 will give you 98% of the physical performance of the MS-1i, the rest is all in your head
smile_phones.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #920 of 1,076
what sub 100€ stretching to 150€ headphones would you guys recommend if comfort was the main issue?
priorities:
comfort through heavy use (listening most of the day, every day, hanging on neck when not).
worn by someone who's sensitive in the feel of headphones (i haven't found any fitting headphones except the pmx60's in local stores).
open headphones if possible.
must stay on during running and headbanging.
looks are not important.
sound quality is.

i use it either through my cowon D2 or my computer hooked to an old erres amp.

sorry for possible crossposting, but i can't remove my old thread, and this seems to be a better place for it.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #921 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference between the MS-1i and the MS-1 is just botique according to an Alessandro rep. MS-1 will give you 98% of the physical performance of the MS-1i, the rest is all in your head
smile_phones.gif

I'm not sure if you can safely trust a rep that sells the 'phones. It could be that they are interested in getting rid of old stock and are avoiding saying that the "i" versions are significantly better than the old ones that are moving less units. That said, it's all too likely that the rep is right. Plus, I'm still a pretty big fan of the low-profile early Grado/Alessandro style. Definitely better for portable use, if that is your thing.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #922 of 1,076
My question I ask you is: IEM or Cans?

The models I have in mind are

Beyerdynamic DT770 M
or
Etymotic: ER-6i

orrrrrrrr

Anything else you gentlemen suggest!

My budget is Sub $500 preferably
L3000.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #923 of 1,076
Jeez... I was just reading the Wiki entry on Fight Club, Auralsex! Your Tyler Durden avatar kind of freaked me out. Less coffee for me! (Interestingly, the film's 10th anniversary is tomorrow, October 15th. I know what I'm watching when I finally get home from work; awesome flick!)
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #925 of 1,076
You may get a better response if you post this below in the "Headphones (full size)" forums. That way, you can have a specific title to the new thread, and get others' attention. I have a feeling that you'll have a bit more support for full-size cans. Just a hunch.
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #927 of 1,076
Can anyone recommend something better than these (in terms of value/quality): $50 pair of Audio-Technica-AUD-ATHM30

Need something in the same price range? don't have much money atm, but want something for all around use (music-mostly new age, indie, ambient- TV watching and also gaming) - I rather block out outside noises, i find it very relaxing. something in between open and closed would be okay too. Just dont want too much leakage.

Please help, I find tones of info on more expensive cans, but not much on $50 and under pairs.

thank you.

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #928 of 1,076
hey, i am very new to headphones...well, the caring about sound quality part anyways. I've been reading around for new headphones in the $100 price range, and found a few choices arise, which are the Grado80/80i, Audio Technica ATH-A500, and Audio Technica ATH-ES7. Im going to be using these headphones mostly for listening to my ipod, maybe for home use, but I won't be using a portable dedicated amp, at least not in the near future. I listen mainly to metal/rock style music. Just wanted to hear opinions on which of these would make the best headphone for me.
One small question i had about the Grado's as well, from pictures they don't look incredibly strong, being connected by just that one metal bar? I'm not rough with, and don't abuse, my headphones, but at the same time i can be a little clumsy and not notice when im about to break things lol. Is that going to be a problem with the Grado's?

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #929 of 1,076
Grado will sound best for your music choice. Unless you need the isolation of a closed phones, like the A500.

Grado's are simply made, it doesn't make them any less liable to break than other phones, but if a driver came free from a rod, then at least you can fix it yourself very easily (has never happened with any of mine).

Cables and headbands usually suffer accidents first. As Grado's are all steel bands, there's not much you can do to break them.

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #930 of 1,076
The lower model Grado's I hear have brittle cables and tend to separate from the can's eventually. Some as early as a year. I remember wanting a pair until I read reviews saying that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back