Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Oct 23, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #931 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lower model Grado's I hear have brittle cables and tend to separate from the can's eventually. Some as early as a year. I remember wanting a pair until I read reviews saying that.

Reviews from where? Plenty of Grado owners here, and I've not heard of this happening. Cables can only break if abused, that means thrown around in bags regularly etc. That will go for any phone or earphones.

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #932 of 1,076
I must've read the reviews of disgruntled buyers on Amazon. They are brutal on there.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #933 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by protest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One small question i had about the Grado's as well, from pictures they don't look incredibly strong, being connected by just that one metal bar? I'm not rough with, and don't abuse, my headphones, but at the same time i can be a little clumsy and not notice when im about to break things lol. Is that going to be a problem with the Grado's?

I have a pair of Grado SR-60's, and i would take them to work by throwing them in a bookbag with a bunch of other stuff (aka not caring for it much/at all). It took nearly a year before i experienced an issue, which was that the driver housing seperated from the bottom of the metal rod you were worried about breaking. As long as you remotely pretend to care for them, you should be ok
regular_smile .gif

Also, there is a general consensus, though not universal, that Grado's excel with rock due to their sound signature.

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #934 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by gunner05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend something better than these (in terms of value/quality): $50 pair of Audio-Technica-AUD-ATHM30

Need something in the same price range? don't have much money atm, but want something for all around use (music-mostly new age, indie, ambient- TV watching and also gaming) - I rather block out outside noises, i find it very relaxing. something in between open and closed would be okay too. Just dont want too much leakage.

Please help, I find tones of info on more expensive cans, but not much on $50 and under pairs.

thank you.

Anyone?
o2smile.gif

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #937 of 1,076
Hey ya'll, very new to the forum. Too much info to take in at the moment. I have a simple request- I am looking for the BEST over ear phones to buy for less than $200.00 I listen mostly to Trance with some Rock thrown in. No hip hop or country. I am ONLY concerned with sound quality. Bass, mids, sound stage all are very important. I would be using these with a solid MP3 player so an external amp isn't happening. Looking at Sennheiser and also Grado and I honeslty cannot really make my mind up. Given my musical preference, please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #938 of 1,076
Also if this helps- I am looking for sound that really moves me- thumping accurate bass but also crystal clear mids and highs that can really take me away. Id like to be listening and just say "WOW that just sounds incredible!" If I must spend a little more I am open to it. Music means everything to me. Thanks.

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #939 of 1,076
I have had many different Headphones in the past. I generally tended to buy Sennheiser Headphones. I have also had expensive Denon, Sony Headphones and Beyerdynamic. I recently purchased the Grado PS1000 to try them out. They are expensive and a little more money than the top of the line Sennheiser Headphones that I tried out and decided not to keep.
Grado has designed what I feel to be the best Headphones around. Superb bass, superb midrange and superb highs. Very natural sound with superb imaging. Also, extremely clean and very depthful sound. They are a bit heavy but I did buy a few "other" Headphones in the past that were light weight and it seems to me, that superb sound is usually sacrificed for light weight. Now, once I put these Grado PS1000 Headphones on though, they don't seem that heavy at all but, again, the sound has NOT been sacrificed for cosmetics that have nothing to do with sound and let's face it, Headphones are all about sound and these Grado Phones EXCELL when it comes to sound. I can wear them for hours. I have 3 different "components" (Preamp and two surround sound Receivers) that I tried the Grado PS1000 on before I decided to keep them. I used them on a Sony DA777-ES, Onkyo TX-SR804 and Nad 1300 preamp (This Nad goes back quite a few years.) and the Grado PS1000 sounded spectacular on ALL 3 of these different "components". The Grado PS1000 Headphones are NOT amp dependent like "other" brands that I have tried out or owned. And that's a really great thing! I really love these Headphones. Grado is selling a lot of them. I had to wait to get them but I am so happy that I did. These Grado's are unbelievable. I also play Electric, Acoustic Guitar and a little keyboard and these Grado's even sound spectacular off of a computer. You can play them at a very low volume and they seem to put out the sound!! And playing back my recorded music on them, these Headphones produced a very accurate and natural sound.. I did not expect this. I use Headphone for recording music and monitoring the sound and also, from time to time, for listening to CD's but these are the only Headphones I have ever owned or used that can reproduce sound that is so natural and so real that I want to use them all the time, keeping my 7.1 Home Speakers with two definitive subwoofers OFF. I have never expected that I would favor using ANY Headphone over any good Home Audio speakers but I now do.

Well, you all have a great and healthy Thanksgiving and keep those "CANS" cranking.

Nov 23, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #940 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Martind35 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had many different Headphones in the past. I generally tended to buy Sennheiser Headphones. I have also had expensive Denon, Sony Headphones and Beyerdynamic.

I recently purchased the Grado PS1000 to try them out. They are expensive and a little more money than the top of the line Sennheiser Headphones that I tried out and decided not to keep.

Grado has designed what I feel to be the best Headphones around. Superb bass, superb midrange and superb highs. Very natural sound with superb imaging. Also, extremely clean and very depthful sound.

They are a bit heavy but I did buy a few "other" Headphones in the past that were light weight and it seems to me, that superb sound is usually sacrificed for light weight.

Now, once I put these Grado PS1000 Headphones on though, they don't seem that heavy at all but, again, the sound has NOT been sacrificed for cosmetics that have nothing to do with sound and let's face it, Headphones are all about sound and these Grado Phones EXCELL when it comes to sound.

I can wear them for hours. I have 3 different "components" (Preamp and two surround sound Receivers) that I tried the Grado PS1000 on before I decided to keep them. I used them on a Sony DA777-ES, Onkyo TX-SR804 and Nad 1300 preamp (This Nad goes back quite a few years.) and the Grado PS1000 sounded spectacular on ALL 3 of these different "components".

The Grado PS1000 Headphones are NOT amp dependent like "other" brands that I have tried out or owned. And that's a really great thing! I really love these Headphones. Grado is selling a lot of them. I had to wait to get them but I am so happy that I did. These Grado's are unbelievable.

I also play Electric, Acoustic Guitar and a little keyboard and these Grado's even sound spectacular off of a computer. You can play them at a very low volume and they seem to put out the sound!!

And playing back my recorded music on them, these Headphones produced a very accurate and natural sound.. I did not expect this. I use Headphone for recording music and monitoring the sound and also, from time to time

for listening to CD's but these are the only Headphones I have ever owned or used that can reproduce sound that is so natural and so real that I want to use them all the time, keeping my 7.1 Home Speakers with two definitive subwoofers OFF.

I have never expected that I would favor using ANY Headphone over any good Home Audio speakers but I now do.

Well, you all have a great and healthy Thanksgiving and keep those "CANS" cranking.

cool easier for me to read now

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #941 of 1,076
hi,

i want a new new headphone, it may be portable, full-size, or iem..

i want something that sounds GOOD, even if UNAMPED. I'm gonna use cowon s9 for a source.. it must have good bass, can isolate well, comfortable, and durable..

gonna hear rock songs, rnb, and bass heavy songs..

budget is less than $500..

thanks

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #942 of 1,076
Hi. I want to buy full-sized headphones for home/office use. I like clear mids and highs and sufficient bass. I need something which I can use comfortably for hours. I'll be using my notebook, which doesn't have a high-end sound card. I listen mostly to acoustic, classical, slow rock, jazz and songwriter type of music. I don't like rap/techno/metal. I don't want complete sound isolation because I need to hear a little when my boss talks to me. I also heard that those headphones which are "open" are better than the closed ones. My budget is up to $200.

I'm thinking of getting one of the following:
1. ATH AD700
2. Grado SR80i
3. Sennheiser HD 555

Of course you may recommend other cans.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #943 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_Louis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. I want to buy full-sized headphones for home/office use. I like clear mids and highs and sufficient bass. I need something which I can use comfortably for hours. I'll be using my notebook, which doesn't have a high-end sound card. I listen mostly to acoustic, classical, slow rock, jazz and songwriter type of music. I don't like rap/techno/metal. I don't want complete sound isolation because I need to hear a little when my boss talks to me. I also heard that those headphones which are "open" are better than the closed ones. My budget is up to $200.

I'm thinking of getting one of the following:
1. ATH AD700
2. Grado SR80i
3. Sennheiser HD 555

Of course you may recommend other cans.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

I would definately go with the Grado, they sound great and don't need an amp, would suggest getting a used one here on Head -Fi for sale forum as with your budget you can get something like an SR 225i or even SR325i, also there is a good chance that it will have sufficient burn-in therefore they would sound great from the start.
I'am awaiting my grados can't wait to compare them to the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #945 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Sennheiser HD595 still a great choice? I notice they are a few years old and I'm wondering if they are still good.

I second this..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back