Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Aug 9, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #256 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by knagaraja
I am a student who likes to listen to music of all types when studying. For this case i think that closed would be idea for me, but then again i feel i would want to wear them when not studying as well particularly when driving where a little ambient noise would be important. I listen to rap-hip hop and trance mostly. My price range is under 200 used/new either one. Ive been looking at sennheiser mostly but have looked into grados and sonys. Portability is important but not at the top of the list, i am more partial to sound quality, i like deep and punchy bass. What headphones would you all think would be the best considering my conditions? Also where are good websites to purchase them? Thanx!!

I dunno for the 200 price range I would go with the UE Super.fi 5pro. They go for $250. I think that would be the best fit. They have the bass, they are portible, isolate the sound. Do a Froogle search or look them up on cnet for the best price.

I could see the HD595 there are sealed and alitte big.

If sealed wasn't an issue Grado 225 would be the one to go with.

Aug 12, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #257 of 1,076
Altec Lansing AHP-512
280smile.gif

The Good:
Very cheap, Great bass, decent mids and high's, good looks.

The bad:
Small cup size.

Sep 10, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #258 of 1,076
Beyerdynamic DT-880's

Expetional performance. Many argue these are the best conventional headphones on the market. Of all the top models out there, these are an exceptional value,
smily_headphones1.gif
often less than half the cost of comparable sounding senns.

Sep 10, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #259 of 1,076
Read a lot here in the past few days and think I now have an idea of what I would like in a set of head phones.

I want to enjoy my music through my computer,(X-Fi Sound Card) and enjoy computer games. I Have a couple of headphone sets I'm trying out. Senn. HD280 Pro. and Ear Tools RP-20. These are both closed sets. I like things about both sets, but I'm still not quite happy. I lean toward the Ear Tools RP20's, The RP20's have larger ear cups and the sound is not as in my ear as the Senn.. They also are not as isolated as the Senn. due to the much softer squeeze the RP20's provide which makes them more comfortable. I've used 2 amps (low Budget) a rolls personal monitor and a Sampson S amp. I've convinced myself that I hear more detail when going direct the the sound card out of both headphones, maybe the amps are limiting the response. Any way a list of things I would like to improve over what I have. Ilisten to Country and Rock (60's thru 80's)

1.Spend little as possible.(I'm already sorry for my wallet.)
2.Hope to not require an amp.
3.I think open design would be better.
4.I want a cooler(heat) set maybe the cloth ear cover will help.
5.Want the ear cups to not set on my ear.
6.I'm not crazy about the coiled cord(Senn.). (RP20's have a braided cord.Nice)

I may have forgotten some things but that's why I came Headfi.

Sep 10, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #260 of 1,076
HWF - I would recommend senn 555 or 595, make sure you get the 50-ohm version. Of course, once you have them you'll probably want a better source and amp anyway, so maybe just go for 580's off the bat. Assuming you have the source and amp for it hd-580 is the best deal in high end headphones IMO.

As for the best headphone on the market, for me it is the beyerdynamic DT 880. I bought these blindly, thinking "man I really should've splurged for hd-650 or RS-1," but as it turns out I decidedly prefer DT 880. By now I've heard almost every headphone on the market (still missing SA5k, new AKGs, ultrasones) and honestly wouldn't trade the 880 for any of them. Yeah, the orpheus is the best headphone ever made (still haven't heard it with hev90) but DT 880 with a nice tube amp gets me 95% of the way there, and the last 5% isn't worth 12k to me (assuming I had the oppurtunity to buy an orpheus). The 880s only "weakness" is that they don't do well with cheap or bright components.

If beyer changed the 880s sound for the new "premium" line I would be pretty disappointed, as there is nowhere to go but down.

Long live beyer 880!
880smile.png

Sep 21, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #261 of 1,076
Just updated my original list (post #202 on page 11) with new first choice:

[size=large]#1 - Sennheiser Orpheus System: HE90 phones + HEV90 (dedicated) Amplifier[/size] - Headfi Nirvana! The HE90 alone with other amps is excellent, but does not match the unparalleled experience of the complete system.

HE90/HEV90 is my "choir of angels" ultimate choice -- and the HEV90 amp is a MOMA-worthy visual experience.

[...see post #202 for the full list...]

orphsmile.gif

Oct 1, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #262 of 1,076
I've heard one pair of Senns..very comfortable but not my kind of sound.I think Grado sr-225's are hard to beat at $200 bucks.Simply outstanding headphones ! I might order another pair just for the hell of it.For those that are not familiarwith them..take a chance if you jam to punk or rock.Hard to beat in my opinion !

Oct 1, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #263 of 1,076
Sennheiser HD580 - I like it a lot over a good number of headphones. This is kind of weird because most of my music is rock/acoustic/rap/pop. I ultimately like the 580's non-fatiguing sound that I can listen to for hours at a time, unlike the 2 Grados that I have owned that fatigued you with the upfront sound. Its probably one of the best, if not the best headphone under $150.

Grado SR-60 - King of budget headphones. These have the Grado sound but I find it fatiguing after listening to it for a couple hours.

Oct 1, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #264 of 1,076
Just purchased HD580 senns for AUD350.00. Thats bloody cheap And im extremely happy, though they really need some good ampliphication to get the best out of them.

But Id have to say value for money goes to me sr80's at AUD160.00 there the tops.

But I find that even though the grados tend to be more defined they are alot more fatiging then the senns.

Oct 1, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #265 of 1,076
I'm wondering why no one ever seems to mention the Sony 7506.This is a studio phone and is not for the laid back valve bunch.At around $100 they leave the whole Senn range behind but i've not heard the Grados a I listen to pop music and a little jazz and didn't think they'd have the bottomless bass that can be turned up to levels that would drown out a 747 taking off as the 7506 can.I've never managed to get them to distort,they'll just blow your ears first.The rest of the sony range vary between average,the 7502(bass light and nowhere the beautiful detalied mids and highs) and the 7509,at more than twice the price they're too bassy making them sound rediculous for the price......to disgraceful (i've not heard the V6 though) especially the DJ range.
What i'd really like to know is,are the Shure 5s worth the extra expence over the ety4s and has anyone heard the new Ultimate Ears 10s.I know they're pricey but who cares if they're as good as they seem to be from the website.
Les.

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #269 of 1,076
Many have suggested to me the Audio Technica A900s. Despite their closed design, I find them much more enjoyable (soundwise) than the Sennheiser HD650s with no amp. With amp, I'm not sure which one would top out. Any ideas anyone? Personally, I find the A900s very hard to beat. Size is large, however. But comfort is extraordinary for both. The extra isolation from the closed design is just as valuable to me. Who can tell me an unbiased opinion of the A900 vs. the Senns with amp. I have not bought either, but my friends have them. Remember, UNBIASED is key. And I know that I haven't included the Grados
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #270 of 1,076
Hi

I'm a poor student that still wants to enjoy his music with some good sound quality. I listen mostly to jazz and r&b. I'm looking for ear(canal)phones instead of headphones or earclips. I still want to hear some ambient noise when I'm walking around such as my cellphone or the subways intercom, you get the idea. My price range is about $50, but I'm willing to spent $75-100 if I think its really worth it. I want natural sound with a slight emphasis on the bass. Anything that would make jazz and r&b music shine. Any ideas?

Thanks alot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back