Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
May 26, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #242 of 1,076
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlo
hot diggitty, more lists.

grado sr-60: thick chocolate-y sound with excessive mid and lower bass warmth in a diffused presentation. extremely forgiving, with cheaper cd players the end result is completely colored but strangely enjoyable. a foot tapper, head bobber's headphone, great for grooving, beat based material, or "background" listening. i have no reservations at all with their portability, my favorite cans for on the go listening. in my experience adding an amplifier isn't a significant change in overall quality.

grado sr-125: think sr-60 trying harder. top end is a tad more extended in perceived response if not sweeter, tizzy and smeared inner detail, in many cases the nuances of the musicians are lost. vocals have a throaty quality, overall the sound is disjointed and jumbled. liked the cha47 as an amp.

grado sr-225: nice little home headphone that performs well with a lot of what i listen to. i like its effect on electric guitars, not audiophile level of reproduction by any stretch, but interesting to me nonetheless. resolves complicated passages better than the other grados i've used, i think its a great all around headphone. give them something with a beat and they'll sing, ask them to do anything subtle in scale and they give up. performs very well with the cha47 altoids and anthem 6922/ss headphone jack.

grado rs-2: surprisingly i think it sounds fantastic straight out of a headphone jack without an external amplifier. the only pair of grados i've used that sounded okay with the mg head dt, but still better with the cha47; i tried every tube set i had with my anthem and they still don't jive. i don't think it compares to the rest of the product line and is simply way past the peak of price/perfomance ratio. the pads took like 20 hours (not kidding) to conform to the shape of my ears, reasonably comfortable but need a five minute break for every hour of listening. decent depth, sometimes excellent tone, thats about it. at their best at extremely low playback volume, where their tipped extremes carry more balance and they still have some coherency, turn the volume up and the sound turns into mud. i've thrown at least 100 music titles at these things and maybe 6 were really good. biggest selling point is that they look cool and kinda retro.

senheiser hd580 - not sure how the msrp thing applies here, since there's no way anyone would pay $350 in the current market. to my ears, the top end lacks some sparkle and realism, double bass sounds exagerated, and there's a suckout with some strings in the midrange. other than that, they resolve information startingly well, have been responsive to changes upstream, and are excellent with vinyl.

i'm very impressed with the 580's ability to dig out detail, provide authority on dynamic swings, and the lack of smearing on notes. however, they took a lot to open up in my system and i just don't feel that they provide a believable soundstage compared to speakers (nor so any headphones i've used). regardless i think that the current market price makes them the best bargain in audio. definitely flawed, but livably so.

i've amplified them with a cha47, modded anthem preamp, mg head dt w/wing mod, cary slp-2002, cary sei300, and cary sli-80.

thanks for giving it a shot duncan,
carlo.

Hej Carlo

I got the grado SR 80 for portable use and the RS 1

May 30, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #243 of 1,076
I'm very satisfied with my SR-60s as my first (but seemingly expensive and never-ending
600smile.gif
) adventure into the headphone world. Very good value @ $70.

Jun 26, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #245 of 1,076
I agree on the Shure E-4's. It is kind of a shock how good they are especially for the money. Plus they are extremely small and they fit well. I only demo-ed them in the airport while waiting for a plane but I will definitley buy a pair soon.

Best
Brian

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #246 of 1,076
ok, i listen to music on my computer (sb live! 5.1) and ipod, mainly classic and contemporary rock, but also classical, country, and a bit of pop. i (very) rarely game (as in i haven't played a game in four months), so sound positioning is by no means essential, but it would be nice if possible.

i'm looking for the best music quality i can get. i don't have / won't be able to get an amp.

i'm on a budget, and have narrowed down my choices to the grado sr-60 (i'd use the stock comfy pads, but i'd be willing to cut a hole in the pads if suggested), the senn hd485, 497, eh350, and px100. which phones would suit my music tastes best?

please don't suggest other phones, i've just finished narrowing down the many suggestions i've had to the above list.

thanks for your help!

Jul 3, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #247 of 1,076
hello hello, i don't know why you say goodbye, i say hello

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #252 of 1,076
Well friends,

It's now my time to get those great headphones that will forever change my audio experience. I did have a peak on 300$ sennh 'phones a few years ago and I know what's coming my way... audio ectasy!

I need a little help to pin-point the right pair... don't wanna waste da money!

It's time I put the 200-400$ in and get great quality, great confort (for full day uses), the best soundstage for surround movies and games.

I want near-perfect sound, notting exagerated. I want huge/great bass, but bass which was intended to be, nothing boosted. Great bass because the HEADPHONES are great!

1st, my main use for it: Games, movies and music from my PC:
- I TV-out my divx movies on my big screen (movie audio is AC3 5.1 or 6.1)
- I play games a lot (online FPS, GTA-SA, Doom3, etc) so EAX/etc
- I listen to streaming internet music while playing online FPS (160/192k/320kbps streams quality, I want great electronic music experience
- Of course I would like to easily be able to bring the headphones elsewhere...

My soundcard is a SB Audigy2 ZS (EAX/THX/7.1/dig out/etc)
A digital solution would be nice (see #2), as my soundcards offers it.

I want closed, light and comfortable headphones.

I don't need a mic for games I like to play.

Here are my unresolved issues:

(1) I am getting convainced that I should go for Dolby Headphones (binaural, and not 5.1 surround headphones (those with 3/4 drivers per side).

Well if I get better sound with Dolby Headphones, why not... please debate if I sould still consider the 5.1 headphones with multi-drivers.

I don't want to lack in quality, comfort, precision of the soundstage, and risk that the fits-all concept of 5.1 headphones doesn't fit me.

2- Going Dolby Headphones, should I go for a dolby decoder paired with great headphones?
(like the Trustmaster T510 or others not bundled with cheap headphones)

I know that with the Trustmaster T510 you get the Dolby Digital experience! I doubt I can plug Dolby Headphones directly on my soundcard's digital output... or can I?

Maybe other Dolby decoders are digital too and can be bough separately from headphones?

3- If I don't need a Dolby decoder, will my soundcard do the job?

Will it fell the surround experience when plugged elsewhere then on the soundcard? into another amp with surround?

4- I need to know if I should go for cans required to be pluged on an amplifier to perform great (volume/bass wise).

For this I need to determine where I should plug my headphones directly on my PC's soundcard, or if I can plug the PC to my amplified receiver/tuner and use it's headphone jack... see #5

5- I usually plug my soundcard front left/front right output to my amplified receiver/tuner and listen to my PC from the amp's headphone jack.

I don't know if the mentioned simulated surround positionning emulated by my SB Audigy2ZS during games (EAX) and movies (AC3) is lost if I don't plug the headphones directly on the soundcard (I have cheap headphones, I can't figure it out).

Any hints on this? Anyone could confirm this with their experience?
I would rather plug-in on the amp jack then on the soundcard...

6- So many possibilities in models, and I havan't seen them all yet.

Audio Technica ATH-A500 / A700 / A900
Sennheiser HD 580 / 600 / 650
Beyerdynamic DT 770 / 880 / 990
AKG 240S / 271
Shure E5
V6/7506
Ultrasone HFI700

...and for digital solutions:
- TrustMaster T510 but am I wasting money on the bundled headphones as mentioned in some reviews?

...for the following Dolby Digital Headphones, I'd like a non-wireless solution:
and in addition, they are too epensive for my budget, I could affort the DS3000 but would it be a waste of money over the other models?
+ Pioneer SE-DIR800C Dolby Digital Surround Headphone - 400$
- Pioneer SE-DIR1000C Dolby Digital Surround Headphone - 440$
+ Sony MDR-DS3000 Digital Surround Headphones - 200$
- Sony MDR-DS4000 Digital Surround Headphones - 340$
- Sony MDR-DS8000 Digital Surround Headphone - 600$

Also I don't want to lose even a .05% of quality because of an infrared solution!

...and so many others I don't know yet... please just point me the ONE!
smily_headphones1.gif

So many questions, so many possible solutions.
At least I got started!
Maybe one of you Gurus will help me in the right direction...

...CYA...

KarmAbe

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #253 of 1,076
eek.gif

welcome to head-fi - sorry about your wallet !
tongue.gif

my answer would be .. mm .. beyerdynamic dt 860 ? or sennheiser hd555 ? .. just to move the first steps in the beautiful world of headphones ..

I'll leave a prolix answer to the posterity , even if I want to advice you to copy and paste your post in a new thread titled "suggest me headphones for ..."
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #254 of 1,076
k1000smile.gif

It's true - good headphones cost money, but they are a much better value in terms of sound quality and audio enjoyment for what you spend than speakers, high-end interconnects, power conditioning, etc.

Karmabe - you ask a lot of questions, some with philosophical weight. I think that surround sound headphones sound good, but whether they're right for you is something you'll have to decide for yourself - headphones are a personal decision and each brand and model works out differently for each listener.

There are several different approaches in the market on how to achieve surround sound (or let's just say enhanced imaging). You don't need headphones with multiple drivers (after all, how many ears do you have?) to achieve more realistic imaging.

Theoretically, there's nothing wrong with infrared technology. However, it has big limitations on distance, you loose signal if someone walks in front of you and if you have a plasma screen TV, it causes interference problems. If you want to go wireless, there are other choices. But if you want the last morsel of sonic accuracy, wired is still the way to go.

As far as the sound card, you are far better off with an external amp which actually drives the headphones. Better sound cards have more dynamic range and better definition, but a good headphone amp is still necessary to play the headphones. For gaming and for software plug-ins (like AKG's Hearo Player), having faster processing and more memory also affects sound quality.

So - there's a couple of tid-bits for you.

Jul 31, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #255 of 1,076
I am a student who likes to listen to music of all types when studying. For this case i think that closed would be idea for me, but then again i feel i would want to wear them when not studying as well particularly when driving where a little ambient noise would be important. I listen to rap-hip hop and trance mostly. My price range is under 200 used/new either one. Ive been looking at sennheiser mostly but have looked into grados and sonys. Portability is important but not at the top of the list, i am more partial to sound quality, i like deep and punchy bass. What headphones would you all think would be the best considering my conditions? Also where are good websites to purchase them? Thanx!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back