Recomend me more headphones that sound how I want them to. (Denon D-5000's)
Nov 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ScaryFatKidGT

500+ Head-Fier
K here is what I got

Shure SRH-840 - little grainy and forward (shouty?) in the mids but other wise great (how I like) in the mids and treble, but no lowend.

DT-770 Pro 80ohm - Use to like them but there really muffled and laid back kind of, not like Sennheiser, they have good speed but they sound like your listening to something far away. Yes there V or U shaped but they also don't have as much high end and cymbal detail as my Shure or Denons. I got them for being bass heavy but the Denons are better. The only thing that they excel at is blocking out side noise, so I use them on the go and when playing drums.

Klipsch Image ONE - less detail and lessor over all headphone but if it wasn't for the boomy heavy sounding midbass (or all bass in general) I would love them. I like bass heavy with a lot of impact but there is like a constant hum or rumble from the bass in these.

Denon AH-D5000 -These sound as close to my studio monitors as I have heard, maybe even more detail. There just a smige shouty in the upper mid's like vocals but are usually nice and smooth and I would like more base if it could tighten up a little. Yes I want more bass then the D-5000's have but that's because its lose, if It was tighter it would seem like there was less bass and a little more would be better but EQ might be able to solve that, I miss my Sony clear bass, my Fiio E17 makes stuff muddy and increases to much mid and upper bass pass 4-6 (the 6, 8 and 10 setting) and ends up making things sound like the Image ONE's.

The reason I want more suggestions is I want something open and also something portable and closed, I just want to try a pair of open cans and my D-5000's don't block out any noise and aren't very secure on my head so there really only for home use.

Thinking about Vmoda-M80's or possibly the M-100's, Sennheiser HD-25-II or Amperior, Denon AH-D600's, Pioneer HDJ-2000's or anything you guys suggest.

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 8
I fee like my He-400s are my open headphones of chose as they are so bassy for an open headphone. I use them and my d5000s most of the time. Favorite two headphones. If my m-100s ever ship I would tell you how they sound. maybe in the next week or two I will have them. Mobile is all in what you think you would be ok walking around with. HE-400s are big but built well IMO. If you want something very mobile I feel the m-100s are going to be epic. hd25ii are great too though. I just dont like on ear headphones.

cheers

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 8
So you like the HE-400's and the Denons? I want to get the HE-400's but every one keeps saying how dark they are :/ I thought about the HE-5 or 500's bbut then they don't have the bass, id really like some LCD-2's.

I just want something more portable than my Denon's which are to expensive and fragile, or my DT770's which are to big, if I wear them around my neck I cant turn my head or talk haha.

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
So you like the HE-400's and the Denons? I want to get the HE-400's but every one keeps saying how dark they are :/ I thought about the HE-5 or 500's bbut then they don't have the bass, id really like some LCD-2's.

I just want something more portable than my Denon's which are to expensive and fragile, or my DT770's which are to big, if I wear them around my neck I cant turn my head or talk haha.

Oh so you want portable for sure? The HE-400s are big and heavy. If you want bassy headphones that are portable I would say the m100s, or MDR 1R

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 8
I want 2. One open pair and one portable pair and I want them to sound similar to my D5000's vs any other headphone's I have heard.

I liked the logitech UE 6000's but I don't know about the NC part, makes me think twice.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 8
Well LCD-2s would be great, he-400 if you dont want to spend as much on the open back. You say you hear the 400s are dark, but I feel so are the denons so I think thats kinda the right sound. The HE-400 has a better treble IMO then the denons so I find myself going to them more then the denons SOMEtimes. As for closed back, I would think portable use is whats wanted. I would say m100s, or hd 25-II. The new K267 might work well too. But its not actually released yet, so there are very few reviews on them. 

cheers

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 8
For open I have desided I'm going to wait till I can afford LCD-2's

For my other pair I'm thinking about the Sony MDR-1R, but reveiws seem to be pretty mixed, the Beyer Custom 1 Pro, M100's, UE6000's, Ameriours or Momentums.

I'm afraid the Bass cans wont have the fidelity I'm looking for in a $300 can and that the Sennheisers wont have enough bass and the momentums 2 laid back as about 50% of my music is metal/screamo/hardcore or punk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back