Recomend me a 'good' entry level tube headphone amp.
Sep 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #211 of 227
Bro just grab the 15.32 and enjoy the great sound it will deliver!

Then down the road do some more research, save some more money and get a nice tube amp without having to worry about a budget factor.

Best course of action IMHO.
:beerchug:

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #212 of 227
  Guys, I'm pretty much set on pulling the trigger on the Audio GD NFB 15.32 this coming payday, Then later (much much later) get a tube amp and use the NFB 15.32 as a DAC (though my wallet is screaming for somebody to dissuade me). 

If any bros here have any other suggestions a good entry level tube amp that has enough juice for T50RPs please let me know soon or forever hold your peace 
biggrin.gif

Rock on!

Project Ember from garage1217, it pairs very well with Audio-Gd DAC, it have enough juice to transform T50RPs into desktop speakers, and the sound is great !

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #215 of 227
Thanks for the recommendation, though the Ember is not entry level me thinks :)

It isn't, but it's a far better amp than the one you're looking at for only 30 bucks more. If you're looking to save money get a project sunrise ii and a schiit modi and you're coming out with a much better setup for about the same that you're spending now. 

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #216 of 227
It isn't, but it's a far better amp than the one you're looking at for only 30 bucks more. If you're looking to save money get a project sunrise ii and a schiit modi and you're coming out with a much better setup for about the same that you're spending now. 

Hi, you mean the Ember is better than the Audio GD NFB 15.32? Wow need to read up more on it then.

Sep 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #218 of 227
Hi, you mean the Ember is better than the Audio GD NFB 15.32? Wow need to read up more on it then.

Wrong, do not call a tube better than a solid state. The Solid State will have more current, always and forever, 

still without getting into a poopie storm, Hybrid Tubes and Solid States have different sounds. Preferance is up to you :3 you may enjoy the AGD 15.32 more of the Ember

but imo... I just got my first AGD amp and well... it's a hell of a bargin! Sounds great, built like a Tank, cheaper than hell and shipped like a bat out of hell lol. Very pleased with KingWa, so you know feel free to support Head Fi's Mad Scientist! [as KingWa literally makes new models based on what the market asks him for... and we are a big market :3] 

Sep 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #219 of 227

Wrong, do not call a tube better than a solid state. The Solid State will have more current, always and forever, 

still without getting into a poopie storm, Hybrid Tubes and Solid States have different sounds. Preferance is up to you :3 you may enjoy the AGD 15.32 more of the Ember

but imo... I just got my first AGD amp and well... it's a hell of a bargin! Sounds great, built like a Tank, cheaper than hell and shipped like a bat out of hell lol. Very pleased with KingWa, so you know feel free to support Head Fi's Mad Scientist! [as KingWa literally makes new models based on what the market asks him for... and we are a big market :3] 

Explain how the O2 puts out 660 mw max and the project Ember puts out 1.8W then? Unless you're calling the Ember solid state due to the solid state output stage. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #220 of 227

Explain how the O2 puts out 660 mw max and the project Ember puts out 1.8W then? Unless you're calling the Ember solid state due to the solid state output stage. 

Define watts and get back to me, in addition keep in my price points and comparitive standards. On average a Solid State has more current than a Tube there are variations. Not to mention the O2 is a pretty weak amp, hell my Pb1 does 1.4w and it's half the size of the O2. Tubes are voltage heavy, and yes the Ember is a HYBRID tube. Don't forget that, so it has a good amount of current and voltage how ever.

This is not an attack on the Ember, rather this is a correction. Don't lead people to assume the amp YOU like is better than what they have 

Also the AGD 15.32 puts out 3.5winto 25ohms... seems like the Ember is only half as powerful as the 15,32 that he has now. and seeing as the AGD is also a Dac, I think he is better off with the combo unit from AGD than paying the same for just a Hybrid Tube with half the power. Still if he likes the Hybrid tube sound, the Ember would be a great addition to his set up! 

ALSO, the T50Rp only needs like 1w to peak, not sure about the Ember, but at 25ohms the AGD runs 3.5w and at 50Ohms [about  where the T50RP is right] the AGD runs about 1.8w

I have a feeling the Ember is Rated 1.8w into 25 or 32 ohms, as the max power is usually listed with the lowest ohm rating 

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #221 of 227

Define watts and get back to me, in addition keep in my price points and comparitive standards. On average a Solid State has more current than a Tube there are variations. Not to mention the O2 is a pretty weak amp, hell my Pb1 does 1.4w and it's half the size of the O2. Tubes are voltage heavy, and yes the Ember is a HYBRID tube. Don't forget that, so it has a good amount of current and voltage how ever.

This is not an attack on the Ember, rather this is a correction. Don't lead people to assume the amp YOU like is better than what they have 

Also the AGD 15.32 puts out 3.5winto 25ohms... seems like the Ember is only half as powerful as the 15,32 that he has now. and seeing as the AGD is also a Dac, I think he is better off with the combo unit from AGD than paying the same for just a Hybrid Tube with half the power. Still if he likes the Hybrid tube sound, the Ember would be a great addition to his set up! 

ALSO, the T50Rp only needs like 1w to peak, not sure about the Ember, but at 25ohms the AGD runs 3.5w and at 50Ohms [about  where the T50RP is right] the AGD runs about 1.8w

I have a feeling the Ember is Rated 1.8w into 25 or 32 ohms, as the max power is usually listed with the lowest ohm rating 

I have made a direct comparison between my Audio-Gd C2 (same power than the NFB-15 amp) and the Ember, i can say that an Ember has no problems to drive an AKG K340, or even a K1000, the C2 had not enough juice for it, it's an hybrid : tube for voltage and MOS for current, i'm simplify by saying that...

I know tha AGD gears are great pieces of hardware, the "Magic duo" for me is an Audio-Gd DAC-19 DSP plus an Ember, but get a AKG K340 and try it with your AGD 15.32 then try it with just a project Starlight (less powerfull than the amp of your NFB 15.32), and yo'll see by yourself :)

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #222 of 227

Dude, I have no idea what it is with you and bashing the Ember without reading.

1) There is no headphone that needs 3.5W

2) The ember puts out 1W into 32 ohms,  1.5W into 50 and 1.8 in 64 and 120 ohms. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #223 of 227

It would not be a "much better" set up it would be different. I'm not sure how the Dac in the 15.32 compares to the Modi, an in addition for a dark can like the T50RP I found that tubes really muddied up thier sound, even the airyest ones. I'm speaking from the time I spent listening to the Mad Dog 3.2. But again sound is subjective so you may enjoy the warmth the hybrid tube adds. But it is in no way better, just different 

It is not, it's different. 

Dude, I have no idea what it is with you and bashing the Ember without reading.

1) There is no headphone that needs 3.5W

I'm not bashing the Ember I'm bashiing you. the gentleman with the T50RP apprently thinks the Ember is better than the AGD that he has You lead him to that conclusion thus I'm trying to correct your mistake.

Additionally the AGD 10ES2 is balanced... and my Dt 880 has sounded lack luster at best out of MANY solid State and hybrid tube amps. The AGD was the first to REALLY open it up, the same can be said for my He 400, out of Single end... it's kinda like what ever. But out of the balanced out it once again opens up! THe bass is tighter, mids gain some weight and ofc a touch more sound stage. My old Indeed G3 and Millet Hybrid tubes just made the Dt 880 sound yucky

and since he is driving a T50RP the extra amps avalible will be useful

lastly, the dt 880 like many high end cans does not "need" a lot of to get it loud, but the more amps you have on tap, I've found that with my stronger amps they sound much better/ The same can be said of me Pb1 which balanced out feed 1.4w into 32ohms [compared to the AGD 9w into 25ohms]

So I'm just getting sick of you recommending EVERY one to get the Ember, for $30 he would have gotten just an amp, then he'd need to have purchase a dac, which would increase the price of the overall combo. While the Ember might be an excellent addition to the AGD Dac he has, don't leave these new members under the impression that the Ember is some how better than other amps in it's price point. It is once again different. 

And lastly cHifi, if you compared the ember SE to the 10ES2 Single End, ofc they performed simmilary. The AGD 10es2 is a balanced amp. When drive using the Balanced there are notable improvements, going back to the DT 880, matched for volume, the balanced out has a tighter bass and weighter mids than the SE out, and I'm not even mentioning the improved sound stage of balanced either 

So to the asker of the question

NO the Ember is not better than the AGD 15.32 that you have, but it would make a nice accompaiment to it. If you can afford to grab one we recommend that you do :3

Sep 28, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #224 of 227
Our long time buddy and Garage1217 purveyor of the Golden Gospel "techboy". Just did a big review of the Project Ember in a new thread, and his findings state that there wasn't really much difference between it versus his Bravo Ocean... :D

Sep 28, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #225 of 227
Our long time buddy and Garage1217 purveyor of the Golden Gospel "techboy". Just did a big review of the Project Ember in a new thread, and his findings state that there wasn't really much difference between it versus his Bravo Ocean...
biggrin.gif

There is an tour model I might try 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back