Recomend me a 'good' entry level tube headphone amp.
Sep 16, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #152 of 227
Spent another weekend enjoying/burning in my LD mkIII, and on wednesday I'm ordering the dt880s (and some new IEMS, and more RCA plugs/cable) :) The sound through the headphones is awesome, especially when compared with the speaker output stage which is running to a pair of gale bookshelf speakers (need to upgrade those too).

still not been able to get a response out of langrex so I'm going to try phoning them this week.

It also looks like my amp is most likely DC-coupled, or whichever one is supported by the LD so I'll be giving that a go.

I got some rca plugs with 6mm cable insert, and some nice 6mm star quad mic cable, and there is no way on earth the cable is fitting through the cable entry. I don't have any calipers handy, the cable entry gap is 6mm, so I'm assuming the cable is slightly too thick (tolerance is meant to be +/- 0.15mm. I can cut the insulator back a bit and heatshrink enough to get the jacket for the plug on and down far enough to let me solder the end, but it's pretty ugly. looking at your braided interconnects from earlier i think I'll try stripping off the inner sheath too and just pull the waires and braid it myself.

Glad this thread is still proving useful for folks, I'm very happy with the LD mkIII.

Sep 16, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #153 of 227
I'm glad were able to help as well! I'm actually here to learn as well! I started on a hybrid tube ny self and I'm still wondering what my first tube will b...

I've thought of the LD IV SE my self, or one of the Dark Voice Tubes... although I'm also wondering if I should grab a Hybrid or OTL tube, the Schiit Valhalla sounds nice, a modest almost Solid State like tube [with a gentle mid richness and lots of details] or a hybrid power house like the Lyr, that can b rolled for almost any sound...

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #154 of 227
  TrollDragon, my DT880s appear to be older in style. They have no markings indicating any impedance, so perhaps 250. Although I've heard all of these older ones were 600, so I'm not sure. Here is a picture of them: http://imgur.com/pkS9KvQ

I appreciate the advice about the preamp situation. I don't know enough about amps to know if mine is DC coupled however. It's a PSE solid state used for the Martin Logans, which are each plugged in on their own. It sounds risky enough that I will likely avoid using the LD IV SE as a preamp until I learned more about what DC coupling is and such. I also have a set of powered studio monitors but I suspect they might be in the same boat. 

I've decided to move forward with getting the LD IV SE along with a Peachtree DAC-iT for my first foray into tubes. After 1 post here at head-fi, I've decided this is a dismal foreshadowing of my wallet's demise. 

Yes those are vintage for sure, great to see such longevity in the beyer product line. I googled a bit and the DT880(S) and DT880(M) were 600 and 650Ω where versions a bit later were 250Ω so a meter is the best way to check those.

The DAC-iT looks really nice and with the MK IV SE you are going to have a very nice setup for your first foray that's for sure!
I can see Woo Audio or Decware in your future.
biggrin.gif

As for a specific warmth and musical genres you should really look through the LD tube rolling thread, the guys there are really great and different tubes do have a different sound. My MK IV came with GE 5654 driver tubes which seemed to have very little bass, once I changed over to a pair of RCA 6BY6's the bass has quite a bit more presence than the original tubes. The driver tubes are cheap and most are just plug and play, I picked up a 4 lot of these 6BY6's from eBay for $9. You only use 2 at a time and it is nice to have spares. They have a table on page 77 which shows the tubes you can use.

And as we say here "Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet!"
beerchug.gif

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #155 of 227
  Thanks heaps TrollDragon, I'm actually pretty set on getting either an MKIII or MKIV now :D

Excellent!
I am sure you will enjoy either one!

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #156 of 227
Could you give any insight as to why to go over the MKIV to the MKIII? I've read that the MKIV has better circuitry and transistors but I'm not sure how that translates to any sonic differences?

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #158 of 227
Could you give any insight as to why to go over the MKIV to the MKIII? I've read that the MKIV has better circuitry and transistors but I'm not sure how that translates to any sonic differences?
Hey mink42!
There are no transistors in the MK III or IV they are all tube. I went with the MK IV as I liked the look of it better, and it has a little more power output. You can change the tubes in the III to make it sonically the same as the IV. I don't know if anyone has taken both apart to compare board components. Lots of people are very happy with the LD III in the rolling thread. Possibly ask there as I havn't heard the III.

The OP picked up a III ask him as well.
:beerchug:

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #159 of 227
i did and i love my mkIII so far, but i'm not sure about providing any comparison with anything else :)

I would heartily recommend getting one though. My III is going great, and I decided as it's payday tomorrow i'm gonna order up some dt880s, and i've taken thursday and friday off work for the burn in :D (also for GTA5).

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #160 of 227
Thanks Troll, yeah did have a look and yes I used the search function! Only one post, there seems to be no direct comparisons of sound between the two and how the same tubes sound with the different amps. Will have to do some more digging. 

@adrock. hahahha fair enough, I think there are going to be a few tactical sick days this week. I know I won't be dissappointed with the MKIII as everyone who has purchased seems to love it, but I am curious about he MKIV as well. Might just get the MKIII with some tubes :p

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #161 of 227
I imagine there are few comparisons of mkIII with mkIV because they're relatively similar, few people are likely to have owned both as anyone with a mkIII would probably upgrade to something above a mkIV, and someone with a mkIV has no need to downgrade/try out a mkIII.

I will fix this! All I need is for someone to post me their mkIV...

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #162 of 227
  Guys, can you help me check out this amp from Fred_Fred, can't find any reviews.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/190815147000?

Basically I am looking for a entry level tube amp that can pair with some modified T50RPs ZMF (by Zach) and wanted to ask if this would be good enough for a first tube amp or should I go ahead with an LD mk3? 

cheers!

Ok so that looks like a Hybrid Tube, I would contact Fred Fred and see how much power that can push out, since it is a hybrid tube it might be powerful enough to run an ortho. But the best way to amp orthos is solid state or Hybrid Tubes, most OTL tubes have HIGH voltage but lack a little in amps, so what an orthos needs is AMPS. I'd try for a LIttle Dot 1+ maybe, although that is from the Fre_Fred_2004 eBay seller SO it should be possible to get a return if you did not like it 

Still, it's a basic 12ua7 Single Tube design, kinda like the Indeed G3, and if it's simmilar in design I think it's going to be heavy on the voltage. Meaning not possibly the best thing for low impedance amp hungry orthos. Still try it listen to it and if you like it enjoy it! If not see fi you ca't resell it here on head fi OR get a return 

I'm contemplating getting into orthos my self but... I'm thinking I'm going to stick with dynamics for the time being, mainly I was looking at getting a HE 4 [about $300 used same price as teh HE 400] although the issue with the HE 4 is that it needs JUST as much power to drive as the HE 6... meaning even the AL MIGHTY LYR [Hybrid Tube] is not powerful enough to drive it. Although I was recommend an Emotive Mini A X100, it's a rather large amp and is not balanced [By the way Vintage Stero Recivers are REALLY great with Ortho's seeing as they drive a LOT of current and some can be cheap if u got the room for it]. So I think I'll wait a while before I get into any thing out side the HE 400 I'm getting atm. As I'd really want to keep with a balanced at home set up which means I'll have to wait a little while before I get something like the HE 4 or HE 6. 

My Audio GD 10ES2 [which I should order some times this week] SHOULD haev enough power to rune a Balanced HE 5LE, but before I dive into the H5LE I need see how it compars to the T90, which honestly my Balanaced Dt 880 really needs a balanced tube but *sigh* descions descisions lol, to get my First Mid Class Tube or a new can xD 

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #163 of 227
Hi Mshenay,

Will consider your advise, thanks! I am looking around for a tube amp (as per your suggestion hybrid will be better than OTL) to try out whats the fuss about with tubes 
biggrin.gif
. I talked to Fred_Fred (Howard) a bit and he says it can power the T50RPs no problems but I was more worried with the compatibility really.

go cheap and try something untested or save up and join the bandwagon of tried and tested tube amps. decisions....decisions.....only people like me on a budget get to labor on this, for others this should be the fun part right? 
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #164 of 227
  only people like me on a budget get to labor on this, for others this should be the fun part right? 
wink.gif

You are not alone sir... 
Like you say "take what you can (afford) and enjoy what you have"
beerchug.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #165 of 227
  My Audio GD 10ES2 [which I should order some times this week] SHOULD haev enough power to rune a Balanced HE 5LE...

With 10W of output into 25Ω it should pretty much drive anything you could throw at it except electrostatic's ovbiously...

If it won't then you seriously need to look at different headphones... 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back