RE0 rivals ER-4S, beats E500 and ER-4P
Feb 3, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #46 of 112
Very nice and extensive Review kostalex

I have had a RE2, So I have the White Bi-Fangles and the Transparent one..
Transparent one is little BIG for my ear so I use the white one.
White one is a perfect fit with great isolation and is really really comfortable, bcoz its much softer than the Transparent one.

My RE0 is arriving in a few days..

My question is which according to you sounds better ?

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #48 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus_hunt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice and extensive Review kostalex

I have had a RE2, So I have the White Bi-Fangles and the Transparent one..
Transparent one is little BIG for my ear so I use the white one.
White one is a perfect fit with great isolation and is really really comfortable, bcoz its much softer than the Transparent one.

My RE0 is arriving in a few days..

My question is which according to you sounds better ?

RE2 white ones sound better to me, the transparent are too big for me as well and they don't seal well on my ears.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #50 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... the transparent are too big for me as well and they don't seal well on my ears...

Since your biflanges are uselles, trim the big flange, while keeping the tube length. You'll get single flange with deep insertion. It may fit and provide this Ety-like sound I hear with biflanges.

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #51 of 112
Here's what I have done.

biflangeswp8.jpg

It fits in my ear after the cut. Pretty good fit.
But I m not very comfortable with these flanges.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #52 of 112
[size=large]UPDATE #3 - FINAL ROUND: Modding RE0[/size]

I made ClieOS mod to RE0:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a mod you can try on your RE0 - it is the same mod as the RE1 mod I described before. Basically, you remove the foam inside the nozzle (behind the mesh-like filter) to improve the SQ.

RE0 improves with this mod, getting closer to ER-4S in terms of sound signature. There are few differencies left after the mod, thus I was able to focus on them and make the final choice. So:
  1. ER-4S is faster, has better clarity
  2. RE0 is more neutral, has better vocals
I decided to keep ER-4S because:
  1. I like to have at least one ultra-fast headphone. Would I keep Ety if I had STAX? I really doubt.
  2. I use my IEM primarily at home, sometime with tube amp. Would I let RE0 go away if I need IEM for portable use? Exactly not.
  3. I invested a lot of time and money modding my Ety for fuller bass (custom molds) and softer sound (recabling). Would I prefer Ety if it were stock? I'm not sure.

[size=large]GRAND CONCLUSION[/size]

So, even if you are a hardcore Ety fanboy like me then you will likely find RE0 to be almost as good as ER-4S. Moreover, it may suit you even better in some cases, like portable use.

If you are looking for top-notch SQ with excellent neutrality and hate some of Ety shortcomings then RE0 is next choice I recommend. My daughter likes it very much. She can not stand ultra-sharp sound of Ety with electric guitars as well as lean bass. So smoother sound and fuller bass of RE0 fits her bill precisely.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #53 of 112
What was your take on amperage of the RE0 headphones? Two things that specifically interested me with the RE0 was me wondering if a better amp would help (using FiiO E5), and I wondered how some foam or silicon tips would have helped (now have some available to use). I think a better tip would have helped some.

I too tried the mod pulling the foam out. At first I liked it, brought up midrange and highs quite a bit. In the end, I thought it was too overshadowing of the lower frequency range, so I put the foam back in. I personally felt the earphone was more balanced with the foam in. I wouldn't have minded trying different materials or a little less foam though.

A note on the ER4S, really liking the earphones. It has become my favorite and a reference set versus others I try out. I try headphone X out for a while and then step back to the ER4S and ask myself does X sound better then these? So far, the answer has been no for everything I've tried. I do find certain aspects done better with other products, but as a complete package, the ER4S has been the winner.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #54 of 112
I made a lot of notes on amping in the first post, see "Amping and synergy" section.

Regarding FIIO E5. It is a mediocre amp and RE0 is very revealing, so this is not a good combo. You will listen directly to so-so E5 sound. I hear no benefits using E5 over the iPod or Sansa headphone out with RE0.

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #55 of 112
The RE0 does have an extended high frequency range, but it's not as revealing as say the Phonak PFE. The PFE hides nothing. The E5 does fine. It's only major issue with earphones capable of outputting high frequency data is some hiss if you run a low volume source with some noise and run the amp at high volume. It'll just amp the noise too. I personally haven't run into any significant issues with the E5 on a high detailed earphone.

My biggest concern is wattage. The E5 is 150mW @ 16ohm and 16mW @ 300ohm. I can't say if this is rms wattage or not either. I'm not sure how much I need with certain earphones. At the rated 64ohm of the RE0, it might see 50mW of usable power. The sensitivity of the RE0 is just 100dB @ 1W. This is also a concern since it means one has to make up output through shear wattage. Is 50mW enough? 50mW would peak at around 93dB. Am I simply unable to recreate the dynamic range because of this? Does the RE0 need more to really shine?

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #57 of 112
I've used both.

Better is a matter of personal tastes and what specific sound signatures you look for in a headphone.

The PFE is more detailed, dynamic and effortless in sound. The PFE has a little uneven and peaky top end. The RE0 is softer dynamically and is well behaved through the entire frequency range. The PFE is a little more aggressive and energetic. The RE0 is more laid back, less energetic, and subtle. The overall sound signature is a bit different between both, not really apples to apples. The RE0, to me, sounds slightly veiled/dark in signature. The PFE is more bass focused, very direct and transparent, high energy, but light/short in note, very clean and open yet dynamically aggressive.

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #58 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone know how the RE0 compares to the PFE?

These were my last two purchases. I feel the RE0 is slightly better than the PFE. Cable and build quality goes to the RE0, IMO. RE0 is more transparent to me than the PFE, as is the ER4S; clarity is close to equal on all three, IME. I don't like how forward the treble on the PFE is. The PFE more amp dependent while RE0 is more tip dependent(I like SF 5 v2 large silicones). I consulted Frederick S on the RE0 vs. the Westone 3 based on his close scoring of the two. I would say the RE0 are in between being a slight bit better than PFE and worse than the Westone 3.

I find that PFE works better with the E5 amp(probably why they give the E3 as the free amp with RE). But we can chase amps all day, they are so close that the right amp synergy will put one ahead of the other. Same for the source. RE0 seems to like the Icon mobile while the PFE doesn't for example. My S-adapter makes the PFE become too bright with the gray filters. With the RE0 the S-adapter works as it does with 90% of armature phones including the ER4S, I get more body/punch and bass but not more treble and some more refinement. I finally get with the RE0 is what sounds to me like a better version of the PFE with black filters or a smoother/slightly fuller sounding gray filter with more well behaved treble. I believe the RE0 can go "gray filter" by removing their filters and the foam behind them making them more mid forward and aggressive. Clieos, has done it. I have not tried it yet myself but I will since I always try everything since you don't know till you try.

I might say that if you have the PFE or have the RE0 you are on essentially the same level and the other is only a side grade. There would probably not be a place for both just one or the other. I feel the RE0 with the better build and cable and E3 thrown in/more tips/extension cable was worth the $30 more than the PFE and both are value leaders. RE0 like the Sennheisers should be burnt in for a while.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #59 of 112
The RE0 and PFE are different animals. To say one is better is to define preference and choose certain aspects as more important. In the end, it all depends on what you want for sound/behavior/performance. Whatever fits you best sounds best to you.

When you start getting to a certain point in hardware like the RE0, PFE, or ER4S, you start getting hardware that do many things well and have very few faults. They all recreate sound differently, but they all do it well. Because a lot of these headphones do so much so well and don't really lack terribly anywhere, one versus another is largely a matter of personal preference.

I personally did not like the RE0 all that much. It does many things well, but it didn't do some things that I define as necessary or favorable. I think very well of my ER4S, but it doesn't do everything perfectly, but it does do certain things amazingly well. The sound stage of the ER4S is incredible, great separation, great space, great location. No other earphone I've used compares. The PFE is effortlessly dynamic. It is lightning quick, transparent, and hides nothing. I haven't heard another earphone that matches the PFE's dynamics or output capability. The RE0 has the widest frequency response I've heard of any earphone, awesome breadth of response and a smooth and relatively even response to boot.

Find what fits you best. That's all you can do.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #60 of 112
Wow... might have to try the RE0.
Anyone have reviews for RE0 vs PK1 purely SQ wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back