RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Jul 28, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #2,701 of 3,674
I'll post the Jolene's infographic this weekend, but so far I'm favoring the A18S quite heavily
I think it will take a lot to knock the a18s off the top for you. Prob just hits the compete tuning for you 😀

Jul 28, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #2,704 of 3,674
I think it will take a lot to knock the a18s off the top for you. Prob just hits the compete tuning for you 😀
The A18S just has too much going for it where my preferences are concerned yeah. Combined with the FuSang which offers a more mid-centric presentation, the two are extremely hard to top

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #2,705 of 3,674
Jul 30, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #2,707 of 3,674
@mvvRAZ if you ever hit Athens with a18s let me know , would love to demo your totl toys (and we could have a beer downtown where all the pretty ladies hang)

Aug 3, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #2,708 of 3,674
JH Audio Jolene infographic

JH Jolene.PNG

Personal feelings on the IEM:
The Jolene gets a lot of things right. While a little thin, the midrange is overall quite pleasant, and I really appreciate the very linear approach they've taken. The treble extension is nothing short of remarkable, and has the quality to back up the quantity too. Overall though, it just lacks that mid-bass foundation that I need to make an IEM fun and enjoyable in the long term. I suppose if you have an especially "audiophile-like" preference I can recommend it, especially as a result of the stage (that has to be the one stand-out quality of the Jolene, it is one of the most open-sounding IEMs I've heard), but overall - mixed feelings.

I suppose I'm especially annoyed because the Jolene like all JH IEMs literally comes with a bass pod - in this case it's more like a bass switch, varying between little bass and no bass at all. What I am hearing at 100% should've been somewhere around 60%, with the optimal quantity being around 80%, and that would leave me with another 20% for basshead days. It is the way the Roxanne was done, and I found that way more reasonable and usable in terms of bass tunability

More photos to follow of the collection of a whole, apologies for that!

Aug 3, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #2,709 of 3,674

JH Jolene.PNG

The Jolene gets a lot of things right. While a little thin, the midrange is overall quite pleasant, and I really appreciate the very linear approach they've taken. The treble extension is nothing short of remarkable, and has the quality to back up the quantity too. Overall though, it just lacks that mid-bass foundation that I need to make an IEM fun and enjoyable in the long term. I suppose if you have an especially "audiophile-like" preference I can recommend it, especially as a result of the stage (that has to be the one stand-out quality of the Jolene, it is one of the most open-sounding IEMs I've heard), but overall - mixed feelings.

I suppose I'm especially annoyed because the Jolene like all JH IEMs literally comes with a bass pod - in this case it's more like a bass switch, varying between little bass and no bass at all. What I am hearing at 100% should've been somewhere around 60%, with the optimal quantity being around 80%, and that would leave me with another 20% for basshead days. It is the way the Roxanne was done, and I found that way more reasonable and usable in terms of bass tunability

Great impressions, love the new format. Sorry it fell so short of expectations, especially with all the delays and excuses from JH. We live and learn in this hobby. GLWS :sweat_smile:

Aug 3, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #2,710 of 3,674
Great impressions, love the new format. Sorry it fell so short of expectations, especially with all the delays and excuses from JH. We live and learn in this hobby. GLWS :sweat_smile:
Haha! So far I'd be happy to keep it just based on design alone, and the fact that it does sound really, really good off the MHA150. JH were also very kind and we've come to an arrangement to compensate for all the waiting, but that's between me and them and would prefer to keep it private :)

Aug 3, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #2,711 of 3,674

JH Jolene.PNG

A18s in general still feel more complete? What genres would you say listen to on the A18s and Jolene?

Aug 3, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #2,712 of 3,674
A18s in general still feel more complete? What genres would you say listen to on the A18s and Jolene?
Live music on the Jolene due to how open it sounds - everything else I'd favor the A18S

Aug 3, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #2,713 of 3,674
Hi, thanks for sharing your impression about Jolene. I was really interested in trying/buying the Jolene but I am glad I waited because from your impression it is not what I envisioned. At first I thought it would be an upgrade to Roxanne but it doesn't seem to be the case. It would be nice if you can compare the two. Great job with the new format, especially with the added thoughts at the end

Aug 3, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #2,714 of 3,674
Hi, thanks for sharing your impression about Jolene. I was really interested in trying/buying the Jolene but I am glad I waited because from your impression it is not what I envisioned. At first I thought it would be an upgrade to Roxanne but it doesn't seem to be the case. It would be nice if you can compare the two. Great job with the new format, especially with the added thoughts at the end
Yeah I'd say I'd take the Roxanne over the Jolene all around - I did click especially well with the Roxanne though

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #2,715 of 3,674

JH Jolene.PNG

Loving the new Infographic format. Really informative. Great job man!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back