Ray Samuels Portable Amps, please Help!!!
Jan 24, 2010 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

imz14u2nv

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I currently use the RSA Hornet with the Ultimate Ears UE-11 and was thinking of getting the JH Audio JH16 or the UE-18 and possibly upgrading the amp if there has been any breakthroughs in portable amps that can offer me something that would be considered better than what I currently own. I am very happy with my current equipment, but was thinking if I upgrade I would like to do a total upgrade at once.

I sent the following to Ray Samuels but did not receive a response, Ray Samuels has so many portable amps listed I just wanted a kind of brief breakdown on what the difference are and why he makes so many.

Original email to Ray:

Hello Ray,
I am the owner of one of your portable amps (I have the Hornet).

I was poking around on your website today and noticed that you have a ton of portable amps listed there and I was trying to figure out the difference between the various products listed:

•THE SHADOW
•SR-71
•The Tomahawk
•The Hornet
•The Predator
•SR-71A
•P-51 Mustang

Do you have a chart or something that can give me a rundown/comparison of your portable amps?

I currently use the Hornet with the Ultimate Ears UE-11 and was thinking of getting the JH Audio JH16 and possibly upgrading the amp if there was something that you considered better than what I currently own.

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 52
Wait for the RSA Protector. It is a balanced portable and I would go with the JH16's.

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 52
Balanced would be nice.

Hornet - Tomahawk for IEM

Big following for the P-51

I love the size and sound of the Shadow, but mine is still not burned in completely. I use UE-10pro

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 52
sorry for being newbie-ish.

but what is the difference a balanced amp and a normal amp ?

Jan 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as portable amps are concerned? Price.

haha, ray hasnt announced how much the protector is gonna be yet duggeh
wink.gif
though i think you're probably right

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as portable amps are concerned? Price.

...and the desire to add one more level of complication to a portable rig
smile.gif

If you don't want to screw with rewiring headphones etc., the P-51 is reputed to be an improvement over the Hornet.

I used to have a Hornet (which I loved) but always liked my SR71 better (other than it's size). I've seen several forum members comment that the P-51 is very similar to the SR71...therefore that would make it high on my list.

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 52
I also once visited rsa site in order to find some information about amps, but no luck. no sizes, no weight, battery life, nothing... just shadows of info. maybe specs are a secret of the company, who knows

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also once visited rsa site in order to find some information about amps, but no luck. no sizes, no weight, battery life, nothing... just shadows of info. maybe specs are a secret of the company, who knows

Yes, the RSA site lacks some of the specifics, but you can pick up the phone and ask Ray anything you like. I found him to be very responsive to my inquiries.

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 52
One of the problems that I have with the Ray Samuels lack of information is that I currently own one of his amps (RSA Hornet) that I use with my UE-11’s and I was considering an upgrade to JH16.

At this point I really only use custom IEM’s so I decided to check to see if Ray had anything that I should consider to go with my new customs if/when I get them

I would gladly keep my Hornet and be happy but I saw reference to the Shadow, which I believe is very small and has a digital volume control, now I don’t know what advantage that has so I wanted to find info

Now someone said RSA P-51 because it is balanced, I don’t know what that means or does either, so basically what I am saying is it would be nice if Ray had a comparison chart or a page that described what makes these amps best suitable for particular situations/equipment.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #14 of 52
i was kinda lookin at the predator and pico amps at the moment.
mustang would be better the the pred?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back