Rate the video games you're currently playing
Jan 16, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #362 of 6,947
Fallout 3: 8/10.

WOMGOSH ITS AWESOME! Only issue I have is there's lots of walking. Only played for like half an hour though lol, so LOTS more to go.

Jan 17, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #364 of 6,947
Fallout 3: 6/10
I don't like the direction Bethesda has taken. First person is okay, but the entire game feels like Oblivion, which I disliked. The new V.A.T. system is tacky, and there isn't much depth in characters. The original two Fallouts were far better.

Far Cry 2: 6.5/10
Incredibly easy, even on the hardest difficulty with no crosshairs. Most of the weapons perform relatively the same, so there is no real incentive for purchasing new ones. The weapon degredation is interesting, but really not something to tout as a major feature. Weak storyline and interesting ending that reminded me of the movie Blood Diamond. It was entertaining enough for me to finish, however.

Mirror's Edge: 6.5/10
Absolutely gorgeous game. Minimal designs with stark whites and bold colors look amazing. Combined with nVidia's PhysX engine, the game is fairly immersive while in the midst of a run or a confrontation. However, there are several flow-breaking details, such as the camera angles on ledges and ladders and the very "trial and error" style of gameplay, which cannot really be helped I suppose. Very fun and cinematic, though very brief with a weak storyline.

Left 4 Dead: 8.5/10
I believe Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation made the perfect review for this. Fun survival horror game mashed with hilarious griefing engine one the infected side makes for an incredible multiplayer experiance. At the moment, the few things holding this game from zombicdal survivalist perfection is...everyone wants more special zombies, more weapons, more maps, more of everything. Worst part of the game at the moment is bug/glitch exploits and the fact that when you're playing with a group of friends or even randoms that cooperate, the other team tends to leave rather quickly. RAAAAAAGEQUIT!

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #365 of 6,947
I wasn't impressed with FarCry2 either...but the same score as mirror's edge? Come on. Mirror's edge was innovative and completely captivated me.

And your left for dead comments... I'm interested in that game... how does the multiplayer compare to GTAIV?

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #366 of 6,947
Kane & Lynch (PC) - The game has good ideas, but incredibly poor execution. Graphics are dated, guns are incredibly inaccurate (not a big issue til the second half), and the revive mechanic is wonky. You have to rely on other party members to hit you with a shot of adrenalin when you die (within a short time-frame), but often times they'll just creep towards you slowly or not even notice. Party AI is poor in general, your guys will often throw themselves in the line of fire and die. It's a problem since you have to revive them manually, which can lead to your death. (Just like you, if a party member dies it's game over) They also can't shoot for ***, even if an enemy is standing right in front of them. The second-half of the game changes drastically, it becomes more of a full-on action shooter. The game mechanics don't suit this, so prepare for death and frustration. There are also a lot of general sound/graphic glitches than can ruin the experience. That said, considering you can get it for like ten bucks, it's not a bad ride.

Doom 3 (PC) - Fun, but fairly mindless. Health is plentiful, though it's easy to burn through ammunition. (You do get to keep all your guns, though) Enemies aren't completely stupid, and level design is bland/repetitive.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #367 of 6,947
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't impressed with FarCry2 either...but the same score as mirror's edge? Come on. Mirror's edge was innovative and completely captivated me.

And your left for dead comments... I'm interested in that game... how does the multiplayer compare to GTAIV?

Mirror's Edge was very innovative, but the immersion lacked sometimes. Again, a lot of flow-breaking moments for me. And much of the storyline and dialogue was laughable. Again, still quite fun.

FarCry 2 seemed almost the polar opposite for me. Not very innovative, but fairly immersive as a world. I especially sympathized with many of the characters, and went through great lengths to stop them from dying. Also, the length seemed just right, keeping in mind you can skip most of the useless extra missions.

On L4D, I wouldn't be able to compare it to GTA4 and probably couldn't because a. they are two very different games and b. I despise the entire GTA series. I find them boring and don't really understand how they sell so well. Definately one of the most innovative games I've played. The fun is starting to wane a bit, mostly because my buddies and I pretty much destroy any public assembled team (scores of 5000-200 have happened several times) and the two campaigns (10 maps set in similar locales) do limit the variety a bit. Definately worth it, especially with the upcoming DLC approaching. The only game I've actually purchased since Warcraft III for the multiplayer.

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #369 of 6,947
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fumoffuru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FarCry 2 seemed almost the polar opposite for me. Not very innovative, but fairly immersive as a world. I especially sympathized with many of the characters, and went through great lengths to stop them from dying. Also, the length seemed just right, keeping in mind you can skip most of the useless extra missions.

I agree. Frank Bilder's was a good mate of mine and I felt very betrayed when he did what he did at the end
frown.gif

It annoys me how people complain about all the driving. Although there is a 'teleport' system in Fallout 3, I still find myself walking to some places just to take in the amazing environment and maybe smash a few heads off. Far Cry 2 is the same. I don't mind driving places because of how amazing everything looks. And trying to get past the checkpoints using different methods is fun! Like sometimes I'd go stealth, sometimes I'd use lots of explosives...

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #370 of 6,947
I'm currently playing Bioshock

if I could I would have this game's babies

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #371 of 6,947
There's an image I didnt need just before bed..
frown.gif

Back to Supreme Commander for me.. The game that keeps on giving

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #372 of 6,947
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently playing Bioshock

if I could I would have this game's babies

+1.

Although they'd be pretty scary babies O_O

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #373 of 6,947
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1.

Although they'd be pretty scary babies O_O

I'm picturing adorable baby big daddies

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #374 of 6,947
You guys have seen Zero Punctuation's review of Bioshock, jah?

Mirror's Edge: 8/10

If you liked the innovative gameplay and fresh breeze that Portal brought to the gaming table, then you'll probably love Mirror's Edge. Short? Definitely, and because of that the $50 price tag is questionable, but as a runner and somebody who likes fast-paced games, this game definitely did not disappoint me. Actually, there are two places where the tense action got to me worse than that game F.E.A.R.
tongue.gif

mirrors-edge.jpg

mirrors-edge-20080228010820880_640w.jpg

95711-bigposter_knqmg.jpg

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #375 of 6,947
Yeah, it is a gorgeous game. As for it being short, I thought it was the perfect length. I hate it when games drag on forever. I'd rather it be really polished and short than be long and have repetitive dead spots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back