Rate the video games you're currently playing
May 21, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #6,947 of 6,963
If you liked the first, you may like this one. Don't let somebody deter you from playing it, even if it's only like 5hrs of content, in which I find to be unacceptable for a game worked on for 5 years.

I didn't like the first one. Couldn't stand it at all.
Very well said. Nonetheless, it sounds like they lost many of the things that made the first game unique (at least for those who enjoyed it).

May 27, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #6,948 of 6,963
Got burnt out with a lot of games right now. Been searching for something different that would captivate me. Tried this one, and seems kinda interesting, but not enough. Interesting puzzle/metroidvania type game I recommend trying. Not the latest in graphics, but gameplay more than makes up for it (if you like solving puzzles).

Maybe I'd give Blasphemous 2 a try, but I got disinterested mid-way through the first one.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #6,949 of 6,963
Maybe I'd give Blasphemous 2 a try, but I got disinterested mid-way through the first one.
This one is starting off very engaging. I like it. 2nd one feels more like Castlevania.

By the way, Animal Well is critically acclaimed. It's well received fore being very original I think. Every room has a puzzle in the game, so it's well crafted in terms of level design.

Also, sequel to Ender Lilies, called Ender Magnolia is Early Access. Ender Lilies was an excellent Metroidvania, so I assume this one would be good as well.

Last edited:
May 29, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #6,952 of 6,963
I'm enjoying it a lot. It's so much more like a Castlevania game now. It's like playing SOTN all over again. Highly recommended. I think they polished the game balance from the first one. First one wasn't balanced all that well. They did platforming much better this time around. Great platforming puzzles.

They really tweaked this into an actual metroidvania. It's interesting how the metroid/castlevania formula still works so well. I think they tweaked the game more accessible to the masses. The way it's balanced, it seems so. First one was harder, but harder doesn't mean better. I didn't think the difficulty was balanced all that well.

Last edited:
May 29, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #6,953 of 6,963
If you're a MH fan, you may get a kick out of this. God I luv J-pop. lol I like the tracks they put into this one.

While I can't even get past the first phase of Alatreon, these Insect Glaiver are already flying around like helicopters
1717032671671.png

May 29, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #6,954 of 6,963
While I can't even get past the first phase of Alatreon, these Insect Glaiver are already flying around like helicopters
Yes, feel the pain! Feel Ala's rath. Hahahahaha. By the way, I rage quit MHW because I couldn't beat Ala. The most difficult games I've ever played is MH with the highest difficulty monsters. It's almost impossible unless you're autistic or somethin.

Quick tips for Ala: Get Frothfang wep, and beat it's azzs. You want to do elemental damage, and it has a threshold, or it will kill you with escaton judgement on yo asszz. If you do enough ele damage, you can heal yourself during escaton judgement. While it's in dragon phase, you have to break one of it's horns so it doesn't switch it's element from fire to ice.

You need to do high dps, it's a dps game with Ala. You need to look at speedrunners in how they kill so fast.

Asmongold beat it too. One of the hardest boss in gaming history.

There are two versions of Ala, Fire and Ice. You use Frostfang wep with fire version, and Kjarr fire wep with the ice version.

By the way, the vid was from Rise, the weeb MH game. You can do anything in that game.

Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #6,955 of 6,963
While I can't even get past the first phase of Alatreon
You do hopefully use the right elemental weapons to weaken Escaton Judgement and break his horn in dragon Form to prevent him changing elements in the second form

May 30, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #6,956 of 6,963
Hell to the yeah! I would play this, but the amount of time I would be sinking in and lost sleep... My sleep got all messed up when I started playing MH. I'm just glad it's over with for now.

God the cringy voice acting. Why can't they do quality like Fromsoft?

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #6,957 of 6,963
Hell to the yeah! I would play this, but the amount of time I would be sinking in and lost sleep... My sleep got all messed up when I started playing MH. I'm just glad it's over with for now.

God the cringy voice acting. Why can't they do quality like Fromsoft?

I have over 1k hours in World and Rise.
Once this releases I'll probably play it 2 years straight. (1st initial release, 2nd the Addon)

I missed Monster Hunter in my childhood and after the big names like Final Fantasy, League of Legends and World of tanks there were only few games that really captured me. Nothing quite like Monster Hunter!

May 31, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #6,958 of 6,963
I think MH are games that people will initially dislike, but have to really keep playing to appreciate. It's because the amount of content in it's mechanics is quite overwhelming as a first timer, and inexperienced people will not understand how to make proper builds and have issues.

Also, since it's not like any other games out there in terms of how the combat works, people can find it awkward at first. But, once you get into the groove of things, its quite addicting, and it's a time sink because hunts can take awhile.

I didn't like MH at first, and took a bit of trying to get into it. Many people have similar stories. It's a different kind of game. Due to how the combat is, and the complexity of the game, it has a high skill ceiling.

As far as co-op online play, they hit it out of the park with MHW. Group play works so well. I expect group play to be as good or better with the next games. If you are struggling, you can always SOS and a group of players will join right away for group hunts. As long as you don't have anybody that has too great of gear, playing with others is quite fun. Group hunts are pretty fun.

Take Asmon for example, he's trying it again. I've heard so many stories like this. People dislike it at first, and then give it another try and then get hooked. I think it's because it's so different, and it's not a very familar easy to get into action game, and they have to commit to starting at the basics and learning the game (that's not so common, and mechanics that are poorly translated IMO), and there's a bit of a learning curve starting out.

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #6,959 of 6,963
I think MH are games that people will initially dislike, but have to really keep playing to appreciate. It's because the amount of content in it's mechanics is quite overwhelming as a first timer, and inexperienced people will not understand how to make proper builds and have issues.

Also, since it's not like any other games out there in terms of how the combat works, people can find it awkward at first. But, once you get into the groove of things, its quite addicting, and it's a time sink because hunts can take awhile.

I didn't like MH at first, and took a bit of trying to get into it. Many people have similar stories. It's a different kind of game. Due to how the combat is, and the complexity of the game, it has a high skill ceiling.

As far as co-op online play, they hit it out of the park with MHW. Group play works so well. I expect group play to be as good or better with the next games. If you are struggling, you can always SOS and a group of players will join right away for group hunts. As long as you don't have anybody that has too great of gear, playing with others is quite fun. Group hunts are pretty fun.
I agree, the battle system is so unique that it takes a while to get into.
After that it becomes quite addicting.

I did like the "raid" like Monsters in World, but whenever possible I played solo.

May 31, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #6,960 of 6,963
I admire games like MH that doesn't try to cater to the masses, but tries to maintain game mechanics that may not be all the popular outside Japanese people that's playing on their 3DS on the train. I think with World and Rise, they did change a lot of things however, but for a long time, it's gameplay has been very similar for many iterations.

I find that as the graphics are improving they are losing a lot of the charm that was in the old games like health potion drink flex or the exaggerated running. There was something really engaging with the old games, particularly MHGU even if the controls were technically inferior with jank.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back