Rate the video games you're currently playing
Apr 4, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #6,916 of 6,936
Personally like Gen 4 Monhun games. You drink potion and you flex while the monster runs circle around you and clobber you while you flex. lol. I just find the older games more engaging for hunts. The hunter is much slower I think, and it's more methodical experience. Very deliberate. hardly any iframes. You have to look for opportunities to strike.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #6,917 of 6,936
Personally like Gen 4 Monhun games. You drink potion and you flex while the monster runs circle around you and clobber you while you flex. lol. I just find the older games more engaging for hunts. The hunter is much slower I think, and it's more methodical experience. Very deliberate. hardly any iframes. You have to look for opportunities to strike.

Regarding speed I think World hit the sweet Spot. Regarding movesets and options I prefer Rise.

The old ones mainly bring nostalgic value to me, but are definitely inferior in gameplay (not only visuals)

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #6,918 of 6,936
I played some Returnal, and it's quite engaging. The controls are excellent and luv the level layouts, but I hate rogue-lites. If it was a metroidvania instead, I would luv it so much. It feels like a modern metroid. I just hate starting over and over gain with games.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #6,919 of 6,936
I played some Returnal, and it's quite engaging. The controls are excellent and luv the level layouts, but I hate rogue-lites. If it was a metroidvania instead, I would luv it so much. It feels like a modern metroid. I just hate starting over and over gain with games.

I liked Returnal, but kinda forgot about it when I kept dying to the same boss over and over again. I don't mind rogue-lites (Dead Cells is awesome!), but Returnal's runs just take too long to work well in that genre. Technologically Returnal is really impressive and I'll probably return to it if I ever build a new computer (RTX5090 when?), I just want to see those lighting effects in 4K with raytracing on my LG OLED.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #6,920 of 6,936
I liked Returnal, but kinda forgot about it when I kept dying to the same boss over and over again. I don't mind rogue-lites (Dead Cells is awesome!), but Returnal's runs just take too long to work well in that genre. Technologically Returnal is really impressive and I'll probably return to it if I ever build a new computer (RTX5090 when?), I just want to see those lighting effects in 4K with raytracing on my LG OLED.
I desperately looked up all kinds of guides on the game, and I cannot even understand why they talkin about. They talk about 'ethers' 'integrity' etc.. What_in_the_F, lol

They just want me to keep running around and die until I finally get a lightbulb on top of my head? Welp, I got no time for that. Not my idea of time well spent.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #6,921 of 6,936
I really like Returnal, but I really don't want to grind for tons of hours just to git gud. I wouldn't mind it if there was any progress, but starting over from scratch would make me feel much worse about the grind to improve my gameplay.

Anyhow, I've restarted Wo Long to play the two DLCs that's out. With the latest patches, the game is so much better, and the combat feel very solid. Would recommend giving it a try if you are into action rpgs with fun combat.

The parry system is so much more fun now. If you're into Sekiro, give it a try. It's probably easier as well. It's on par with the two Nioh games. I think the game is much better with the patches/balances they've done. Would be much better if it ran a bit better on PC, but Team Ninja isn't good about PC ports it seems.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #6,922 of 6,936
Still going hard on Dragon's Dogma 2. Have some updated thoughts on it after having beat the game a couple times.

I initially played through as melee classes, as those were my favorites in the first game. Aside from a few steps back from the first game, overall the new balancing is better on DD2, and makes all of the melee classes very satisfying to play. This recent playthrough, however, I've been playing caster classes, and oh boy is it rough. First off, the Trickster class is absolute trash, and the worst thing about the game by a mile. It makes no sense, whatsoever. It's slightly support-ish, but it's really meant to be a tank class, with the harebrained idea that it can't deal any damage. None. So it's not only not fun because you literally just stand around casting your little smoke skills that just draw attention, it's also not fun because the pawn AI is a huge step back from the first game.

I didn't really notice how bad the pawn AI is when playing as a melee class, as it's fairly competent when it comes to being caster and ranged classes, but the moment you need them to be melee DPS they completely fall apart. They don't proactively attack enemies, and the pawn commands won't force them to. They don't start fighting until your arisen has been hit, so as a caster enemies will rush you as you're casting your spell, canceling your spell and knocking you to the ground. They also prioritize enemies in weird ways, with no real rhyme or reason. And on top of all that, their pathfinding is hot garbage, so if you get too far ahead of your pawns they simply won't know how to get to you when you're attacked by mobs.

Thankfully I finished leveling my caster classes, so I won't need to bring melee pawns with my anymore. As mentioned earlier the pawn system works just fine when you're playing a melee class, so it should be smooth sailing from here. I really do feel for people who generally prefer caster classes, though. The game is so much more frustrating, with what seems like very little thought put into it. I think I'd have to steer people away from playing mage, sorc, and especially trickster if they want to get any enjoyment out of the game. On the upside, magick archer and mystic spearhand are fantastic, and let you do some magical combat without falling too deep into the pitfalls of actual caster classes.

I also feel like I have to mention how fantastic the game looks in HDR on an OLED TV. It legitimately might be the best use of HDR I've seen in a game. At night, in particular, it's spectacular looking. It's almost pitch black, but you can see some faint detail in the distance, but then things like spells and lanterns light up the scene and almost blind you. And on that note, a small detail I love is when you walk up to NPCs at night with your lantern drawn they wince and shield their eyes. Even during the daytime it looks great, since the direct sunlight creates extremely dark shadows. Really makes the whole world pop. If the HDR weren't so good I'd probably prefer playing on my ultrawide monitor, since the FOV is pretty narrow, but I've started to get used to it.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #6,924 of 6,936
Anyhow, I've restarted Wo Long to play the two DLCs that's out. With the latest patches, the game is so much better, and the combat feel very solid. Would recommend giving it a try if you are into action rpgs with fun combat.

The parry system is so much more fun now. If you're into Sekiro, give it a try. It's probably easier as well. It's on par with the two Nioh games. I think the game is much better with the patches/balances they've done. Would be much better if it ran a bit better on PC, but Team Ninja isn't good about PC ports it seems.
Wo Long DLC felt quite short, and pretty underwelming since it felt so samey as the base game. The two last basses felt hard in a cheap way, which is Team Ninja style. Stilln very fun and engaging game, that was very much worth my time.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #6,925 of 6,936
I'm really looking forward to this. From the developer of Ori. I had no idea release date was so soon.

Having a blast, one of the best designed world I've ever played, but it's in Early Access state right now, so it's fairly rough in the beginning of the game. This guy explains it. I didnt' think developer of one of the best designed games ever, Ori, would be this bad at making decisions.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #6,926 of 6,936
Having a blast, one of the best designed world I've ever played, but it's in Early Access state right now, so it's fairly rough in the beginning of the game. This guy explains it. I didnt' think developer of one of the best designed games ever, Ori, would be this bad at making decisions.

I had no idea this was Early Access release of only chapter one. The game is still in development. Not sure why they release a portion of it for pay so early, but I guess it will take time for it to finish. This is why the game isn't balanced so well.

I really like the world, and exploration is top notch. I'm not so fond of the isometric view perspective for a souls-like combat experience. Platforming in isometric is a nightmare, as is in 3rd person view.

While playing this game in isometric, I realized why Fromsoft Souls games are in 3rd person. Controlling while looking in isometic is not very precise.

I really don't like the combat design. Not sure why Western developers cannot get a grasp of how Fromsoft (Japanese developer) does combat. Western developers idea is generally to give very long swords and have the characters do an almost 360 sweap attack and constant attacks in quick successsions. That's not very original combat moveset design. Fromsoft are much much more creative when designing attack moves. Moon studio needs to be more creative than doing it the cliche way.

Just look at how crappy this boss's moveset is. It's so cliche! It does it's macho scream, etc.. ectc. while stomping it's wep. yawn.

Good quality souls-like combat experience is not about difficulty or big sweaping attack with big weapons, but creatively thought out enemies that has unique movements that challenges the player, not in a artificial difficult way. I think the 'Lies of P' game developers have a much better grasp of the combat.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #6,927 of 6,936
I've been playing Granblue Fantasy Relink recently, aka GBFR. Well basically, this game can be described as an anime version of Monster Hunter

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #6,929 of 6,936
Good thing you scratched what you said or I would have shatted on you for that. It's nothing like Monster Hunter. Not a fan personally.
Haha, luckily I've struck out that sentence, which seems to have me saved lol

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #6,930 of 6,936
Been playing Immortals Fenyx Rising. I had no idea this game existed. There must have been absolutely no advertising for this game. It's odd, since it's a good game. It's like Zelda, but with combat being better. Like Zelda, it doesn't keep me engaged very long though. I prefer dungeon like atmosphere like in Dark Souls games. I agree with this review, combat is pretty good, but the exploration and puzzles are not so good. I like the rpg elements of upgrading armors and all that as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back