Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 21, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #5,131 of 24,653
It Might Get Loud - 8.5/10

Documentary-style profile of three rock guitarists, Jack White, Jimmy Page, and The Edge. Really interesting to see the different backgrounds and philosophies of the three, from the all out love of tech and effects of Edge, to the almost complete disdain of technology and a bare bones 'back to the roots' approach of Jack White.

One thing I especially liked about the movie is how when profiling the artists the filmmaker stayed focused more on their early and formative years. It would have been too easy -- and too cliche -- to do a quick take on Page or the Edge as they were just starting out, and then jump to a lot of their later stuff. But the film kept coming back to their roots and going deeper, and thus it really gives you the sense that you're getting into what makes them tick as artists.

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #5,132 of 24,653
Doctor Zhivago (1965 David Lean) - three and a half hours of my life that I'll never get back. Guess I just didn't "get it". *shrug*

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #5,137 of 24,653
Avatar 9/10 (< - if only for the technical mastery)

Truly jaw dropping gorgeous.

Stupidly beautiful.

I could have cared less what the story was about ... cause once that bad bitch pulled a knife and started hissing and defending her man ... I was sold.

:wink:

I was grinning through the whole thing. Seriously. A geeks wet dream.

( Bravo for the eye candy part )
( Nyahh, for the cliche storyline )

But I'll certainly see it again.

:wink:

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #5,141 of 24,653
Wow, The Cove is worth the buzz it has gathered. It's a documentary with the obvious - it admits as much - agenda to expose the Japanese slaughter of dolphins, which is legal. Subject matter with dramatic potential by itself, that the producers deliver through part mystery thriller, part heist caper, part tale of redemption, and of course part ode to the dolphin. Some of the puppet strings are obvious but darn if you can't help but get swept up with it. 9/10

Avatar 7/10 like enough hasn't been said already.
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #5,142 of 24,653
Avatar: 10/10 on visuals, 8/10 on story. As I was watching it tonight, I also said to myself that geeks like me were going to be worshiping this movie- looking for creature taxonomies and such. There is that geek wet dream thing, too. When she bared her teeth and hissed, I did get a little aroused...

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #5,143 of 24,653
Where the wild things are - 5/10

Dogville - 8/10

Manderlay - 8/10

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back