Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 9, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #6,331 of 24,686
Eden Lake 8/10 -- British horror/thriller that will definitely get your heart racing. Slightly cliche, but it does manage to separate itself from the herd of "woodsy horror movies."

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #6,332 of 24,686
Brick. 

Very slick. Noir translated successfully into a highschool environment. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is fantastic.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #6,333 of 24,686
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - 6/10

Not bad as journalistic thrillers go, but this film tries to do too many things at once. It's set in Sweden, and suggests there's a lot more sadism and cruelty below the surface of Scandinavia than one might expect. You stay with the story, anyway, though, despite cliches like the professional computer hacker girl who's a goth-punk (doesn't every investigative TV show have one of those now?). Oh, and there's an explicit rape scene that turns out to be pretty gratuitous.

Paprika - 7/10

Some folks are calling this Japanese anime film from 2006 the precursor to Inception, but since I'm not any closer to seeing Christopher Nolan's film, all I can say is I like the idea of dreams gone awry. Can be hard to follow, but you can get high on the surreal drawings/atmosphere. Bad news: I just found out that Satoshi Kon, the director/animator, died a few weeks ago of cancer. He was only 46.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #6,334 of 24,686
Anaxilus and Ttvetjanu, thanks for the recommendations. Will definetly check them out.
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #6,337 of 24,686
I have finally finished Prince of Persia. In 3 parts, it was that bad  5/10

Also Robin from da hood was bad as well, cannot compare to Kevin Costner's Robin Hood.  5.5/10

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #6,338 of 24,686
Sword in the Moon 5/10 4.5/10

Korean movie only available in Mandarin and Cantonese?!  What!!

Fragmented story, poor editing, no pace, wrong language!!  I was expecting way more.  Couldn't make it past the halfway mark because thats when character development started and I just didn't care anymore.  Whatever.  Make it 4.5/10 for aggravating me during this review.

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #6,339 of 24,686
Wild Target  7/10 - A farce movie about the last of a long line of assassins, Bill Nighy was the only positive here, slightly amusing, but not much else.

Keeping Mum 8/10 - A star cast of Rowan Atkinson, Kristin Scott Thomas and Maggie Smith, quite funny and very well made.

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #6,340 of 24,686
Macgruber - 5/10 - Some cheap laughs, a lot of the thoughtless dirty humor that makes things a bit too awkward to enjoy.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World - 8/10 - Definitely not a movie for everyone, but if you love colourful and whimsical art direction, it's a wonderful movie. This is definitely a movie that I will buy on BD around release.

The Lost Room (TV Miniseries) - 8.5/10 - A great underrated miniseries for mystery and modern day sci-fi. There are all of these "objects" in the world that have different powers, some strange (a watch that boils eggs) and some interesting (a pen that combusts people, a comb that stops time for ten seconds, etc.) very unique premise and without a doubt opened the door for another wonderful series called Warehouse 13 (similar premise of "artifacts" that have interesting and strange powers). A great short series to watch over a boring weekend or on a long trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back