flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 18, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #3,575 of 39,414
But who is Rei87? Or is that a very stupid question? (I can be a bit thick at times. :wink: )
search somewhere around Dita Dream's review

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #3,576 of 39,414
Search this thread for his posts. Maybe that'll jog your memory :wink:
Haha! Forgot all about that! Oh well, that's what happens when your brain functions with the logic and predictability of quantum mechanics.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #3,577 of 39,414
Great review Nic. EXCEPTIONAL shootout!

Didn't feel very long, but we're almost finished. One more review to go, and I wish you all the best @flinkenick. Thank you for answering every silly PMs I've sent, for Nic-rolling me (twice), for creating this wonderful thread. I'm grateful for the fun, and reviews. :D

ezgif-3-7ef199644c.gif

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #3,578 of 39,414
Guess was late to the show, wow, congrats on the second time winning SE-5ult, not to mention it beat all the new IEM, really amazing feat coming from IEM that has been around for some times

I want to thank you again to nic for this awesome shootout, it was really a pleasure to read your every review and give me a lot of insight on how to describe a sound and how to evaluate IEM performance. i'm still contemplating on the gate to the TOTL world and this shootout has been a really really helpful references for me i also think this thread will be a legend will also help many headfiers that doesn't have the luxury to do the audition for all the IEM's.

great job!
now to read the zeus review..

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #3,581 of 39,414
Aug 18, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #3,582 of 39,414
Prize Giveaway

Rank #1:
@ChrisSC

1. SE-5
2. W900
3. Zeus
4. A18 Tzar

5. Maestro V2

Rank #2:

@rookie2009

1. A18

2. Zeus
3. 5-way
4. Prelude
5. Samba

Rank #3:

@EagleWings

1. Warbler Prelude

2. Zeus
3. 5-Way
4. UE 18+

5. Maestro V2

It's hard to believe the shootout is almost over. For the last months all my spare thoughts and time have gone into thinking about iems, writing phrases in my mind, and endless rewriting over and over again. Sometimes I would go to sleep thinking about iems, dream about them, and wake up to restart the process. A turbulent time. Anyways, endings come with new beginnings. Like I said before, none of this would be possible without the interest and engagement of the readers. So in a way, I would like to think that all of you have given me a present in return. I consider this my shootout present :)

Ps. There will be no more tolerance of phrases including "..is better than VE8" from now on :D
Well..this has been one hell of a rollercoaster ride for sure:thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing all this wonderful information / reviews with us so far Nic!

As I'm on a holiday now with my kids on an island where I grew up, I only have my phone with me to post. So, all gif haters don't have to worry...no rollercoaster gif posted by me (for now that is) :grin:

To the winners of the contest: congrats guys...well done and I hope you'll enjoy your very nice prizes soon :ksc75smile:

Cheers to y'all from over here (somewhere in the middle of nowhere, the pic shows the view from my holiday house atm)
20170818_201113.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #3,583 of 39,414
@Nic:

You are the stuff of legends! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for organizing this shootout, and if you ever visit Los Angeles, you've got a place to crash :beerchug:

For awhile there, I gave serious thought to leaving this little community of ours. The site was "updated" into a dumpster fire (still is, btw)

...aaaand Nic pulls through and I'm back in! Nic deserves all the accolades for his amazing reviews, great community threads, and most of all generosity! Thanks Nic for representing the best of Head-Fi :o2smile: The shootout was IMHO/IME/YMMV (lol) the site's 2017 highlight!

Again, BIG thanks!

Ps: I still doubt your skills as a reviewer, however- beer cap IEM didn't go #1 :beer::ksc75smile:

Aug 18, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #3,584 of 39,414
Aug 18, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #3,585 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back