flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 19, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #3,602 of 39,414
this chart , along with average joe' review is what made me go for NT6+whiplash hybrid v3 cable

i should have Zeus XR on Monday , very eager to see how it sounds

again i need to say it (and tupac seems to agree) if you want clarity and transparency without breaking the bank, NT6+hybrid cable is definitely a very good choice

btw in tupac's chart , NT6 beats se5 11-4 in those sonic categories - that says a lot i think :gs1000smile:

NT6 also scores a 14-1 score against K10 , but we know that NT6 is the better ciem so no surprises there
Tupac and Joe had the V1 version of the NT6 which had a bit more of a V tune. I believe ours was the V2 version which was more leveled tuning. But, I agree, NT6 is a fantastic CIEM! :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #3,603 of 39,414
Aug 19, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #3,604 of 39,414
I mean, that many people can't possibly all get it wrong, right? Ha... haha... hahaha... ha... haha *wallet trembles in fear; drives to nearest bank whilst still trembling and incoherently laughing; gets into car acc...*
Might as well count Mim in and make a high five of #1 rankings.

Aug 19, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #3,605 of 39,414
Your wallets will be effected in a significant way in this zone, so take extra care when treading in this terratory. We can have different preference(some people prefer laidback, smooth, darker sig, and others can prefer brighter sigs, and this is apparent when you have people jump on the HD800 and may prefer it, and others that like the Audeze sigs, or the HD650) in sigs, so try to audition them if possible before making the decision.

Pay more attention to those you agree with in preferences.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #3,606 of 39,414
Your wallets will be effected in a significant way in this zone, so take extra care when treading in this terratory. We can have different preference(some people prefer laidback, smooth, darker sig, and others can prefer brighter sigs, and this is apparent when you have people jump on the HD800 and may prefer it, and others that like the Audeze sigs, or the HD650) in sigs, so try to audition them if possible before making the decision.

100% agreed. This is why I've been so frustrated with the SE5U; an audition is literally impossible without someone else's unit. Though, given my ability to generally like most signatures and appreciate them each individually, the SE5U still has a chance, which doesn't bode well for my finance's sake...

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #3,607 of 39,414
100% agreed. This is why I've been so frustrated with the SE5U; an audition is literally impossible without someone else's unit. Though, given my ability to generally like most signatures and appreciate them each individually, the SE5U still has a chance, which doesn't bode well for my finance's sake...
I too agree. I've been interested in them for quite a long while (thanks Mim!), but probably have been too lazy to send photos on grid paper of my impressions, wait for approval then send them to Europe for final approval, and wire funds, etc. And I don't know if they ever attend CanJams. It would be great if they showed up at RMAF this year, but I don't suspect they will. Still, maybe some day I will get motivated. Silicone would be so comfortable for me, especially in my drier climate, as I use custom silicone ear plugs when I use power tools. SE5U really sounds like something special!

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #3,610 of 39,414
I too agree. I've been interested in them for quite a long while (thanks Mim!), but probably have been too lazy to send photos on grid paper of my impressions, wait for approval then send them to Europe for final approval, and wire funds, etc. And I don't know if they ever attend CanJams. It would be great if they showed up at RMAF this year, but I don't suspect they will. Still, maybe some day I will get motivated. Silicone would be so comfortable for me, especially in my drier climate, as I use custom silicone ear plugs when I use power tools. SE5U really sounds like something special!

On the SE5U thread, a member posted a photo of an SE3-Way universal demo, with acrylic shells that look like the ones sold on TaoBao frequently purchased by DIYers on the Home-Made IEMs thread to test their driver and cross-over configurations :D I doubt that kind of shell will have enough room for 5 bores though.

I also highly doubt Spiral Ear will eventually spend the time or R&D to build an SE5U demo, even if it means simply fabricating a silicone-filled universal acrylic shell with a large enough stem to fit 5 bores. Another shoot-out win means people will be clamoring to get a pair regardless of not having heard one. I'd even go as far as to say their, now, fourth #1 spot is further motivation for them to continue their, for lack of a better term, hype-based marketing. But, if they are truly that good, then I guess fair is fair. Besides, I'd be lying if I said their tactics aren't hella' effective :wink:

It's gonna be so funny the day everyone realizes Average Joe, Jelt, Tupac, Nic, Grzegorz and I are the same person.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #3,611 of 39,414
It's gonna be so funny the day everyone realizes Average Joe, Jelt, Tupac, Nic, Grzegorz and I are the same person.
Actually, Grzegorz secretly founded THL a long time ago as part of an elaborate plan involving several shootouts, while publicly denouncing all forms of publicity. By cross-breeding different types of elves, he managed to create a unique sub-species dedicated solely to iem reviewing, living solely off praise. It took several years of cunning planning, but his masterplan has finally come to fruition.

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #3,614 of 39,414
I wonder if Zeus XR would have surpassed se5u, given you get 2 signatures in one.

I don't think so, because Nic hints at not enjoying the R setting in his XIV review, and the only thing taken into consideration in this shoot-out is sound and sound alone. If the opposite were true, the SE5U's ranking would be brought down by its 20/100 score in marketing *coughs from sheer saltiness* :wink:

Meh, prefer XIV to R

Depending on the song and mood, both settings can be awesome in their own right. If you were comparing both settings against each other in a controlled environment though, I'd concur that the XIV would come out on top most of the time.

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #3,615 of 39,414
Actually, Grzegorz secretly founded THL a long time ago as part of an elaborate plan involving several shootouts, while publicly denouncing all forms of publicity. By cross-breeding different types of elves, he managed to create a unique sub-species dedicated solely to iem reviewing, living solely off praise. It took several years of cunning planning, but his masterplan has finally come to fruition.
Not elves, more like trolls. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back