flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 19, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #3,616 of 39,414
I wonder if Zeus XR would have surpassed se5u, given you get 2 signatures in one.

but what if the R grades are worse than XIV and took zeus down a notch or 2 ?

number 2 is more than fine - in fact it's awesome.

just be happy you have a top-2 ciem with an extra signature to hear :L3000:

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #3,617 of 39,414
just be happy you have a top-2 ciem with an extra signature to hear :L3000:

That's one way to go. Or you can cry out in shame and return the XR immediately.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #3,618 of 39,414
Actually, Grzegorz secretly founded THL a long time ago as part of an elaborate plan involving several shootouts, while publicly denouncing all forms of publicity. By cross-breeding different types of elves, he managed to create a unique sub-species dedicated solely to iem reviewing, living solely off praise. It took several years of cunning planning, but his masterplan has finally come to fruition.
Saw a pic of you guys on Instagram, taking a short break from reviewing.
Acer_Elves_no1.png

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #3,622 of 39,414
Just attended briefly the Beijing Hi-fi show, got to try briefly some nice TOTL iems.

- First in line OBravo Audio. It has been a long time since I wanted to check out these babes. I tried only the top ones, so EAMT-1, 0 (Ra) and Erib 1. These are not easy to fit, have limited isolation with the provided tips and must be the most power hungry iems I have tried. Lotoo Paw Gold high gain was OK but barely. They sounded much better when adding the Obravo amp in the chain (very nice little machine by the way). The verdict of this very short session, is that they are like a princess. They really do something special, sound incredibly visceral and palpable, but they are very finicky with fit, source, quality of tracks. I feel they are more for people into really high end audio then portable audio in my opinion (at least these models). The Ra in copper sound very very good, but at $10,000 I sure hope it does

- Then I tried the Hifiman RE2000, it was my main purpose for coming. They don't disappoint. It is single dynamic done right of you like the fuller, rounder sound. I don't they should cost 2k though (neither should the Dream, or any iem for that matter). I am not sure they destroy the JVC FW01...which costs 1/5

- I finally spend some time at Earphone King(耳机王)stand. He had an incredible selection as usual, so I briefly tried some things:

- Kumitate Lab Trio II : beautiful iem, very impressive with its clarity at first, but then some harshness. Might have to play with source and tips to make it really good

- Tia Fourte, very well build shell, crappy stock cable, ugly as sin. Certainly one of the best sounding iems out there, but I thought it would be much fuller. Not as full sounding as the RE2000. Anyways : spacious, well delineated and incredibly controlled sound. Nonetheless, I still think iems like these should not exceed 2k. Especially not with a vomit faceplate and crappy cable. To leave on a positive note, I have to be honest, they sound very very good

- UM Planar UM : either my fit was wrong or these are really light on the low end. Didn't understand what they're going for here

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #3,623 of 39,414
Just attended briefly the Beijing Hi-fi show, got to try briefly some nice TOTL iems.

- First in line OBravo Audio. It has been a long time since I wanted to check out these babes. I tried only the top ones, so EAMT-1, 0 (Ra) and Erib 1. These are not easy to fit, have limited isolation with the provided tips and must be the most power hungry iems I have tried. Lotoo Paw Gold high gain was OK but barely. They sounded much better when adding the Obravo amp in the chain (very nice little machine by the way). The verdict of this very short session, is that they are like a princess. They really do something special, sound incredibly visceral and palpable, but they are very finicky with fit, source, quality of tracks. I feel they are more for people into really high end audio then portable audio in my opinion (at least these models). The Ra in copper sound very very good, but at $10,000 I sure hope it does

- Then I tried the Hifiman RE2000, it was my main purpose for coming. They don't disappoint. It is single dynamic done right of you like the fuller, rounder sound. I don't they should cost 2k though (neither should the Dream, or any iem for that matter). I am not sure they destroy the JVC FW01...which costs 1/5

- I finally spend some time at Earphone King(耳机王)stand. He had an incredible selection as usual, so I briefly tried some things:

- Kumitate Lab Trio II : beautiful iem, very impressive with its clarity at first, but then some harshness. Might have to play with source and tips to make it really good

- Tia Fourte, very well build shell, crappy stock cable, ugly as sin. Certainly one of the best sounding iems out there, but I thought it would be much fuller. Not as full sounding as the RE2000. Anyways : spacious, well delineated and incredibly controlled sound. Nonetheless, I still think iems like these should not exceed 2k. Especially not with a vomit faceplate and crappy cable. To leave on a positive note, I have to be honest, they sound very very good

- UM Planar UM : either my fit was wrong or these are really light on the low end. Didn't understand what they're going for here
Thanks for saving my time and money.

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #3,624 of 39,414

How would you compare the Trio II vs the previous version? I personally love the original Trio with the 240 SS setup but that's pretty much it, pair it with any other player and you get horrible harshness oozing out from the IEMs.

Agree with the 2k sentiment.

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #3,625 of 39,414

I have to agreed the Tia Fourte design is just horrible and the price CAN'T EVEN LOOK AT IT!

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #3,626 of 39,414
I don't think so, because Nic hints at not enjoying the R setting in his XIV review, and the only thing taken into consideration in this shoot-out is sound and sound alone. If the opposite were true, the SE5U's ranking would be brought down by its 20/100 score in marketing *coughs from sheer saltiness* :wink:

Depending on the song and mood, both settings can be awesome in their own right. If you were comparing both settings against each other in a controlled environment though, I'd concur that the XIV would come out on top most of the time.

I totally agree and find myself almost exclusively listening to the XIV setting

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #3,628 of 39,414
How would you compare the Trio II vs the previous version? I personally love the original Trio with the 240 SS setup but that's pretty much it, pair it with any other player and you get horrible harshness oozing out from the IEMs.

Agree with the 2k sentiment.
Couldn't say as I never tried the first. This one is sweet and I guess with the WM1Z or even the Tera it could be great sounding.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #3,629 of 39,414
Now it peak my interest how does XIV compare to R

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #3,630 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back