Radsone EarStudio ES100
Nov 12, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #5,656 of 6,675
Oh, well that's unfortunate. I guess the ES100 is likely not for me then. Because I'd mostly be using it as a USB DAC for my phone. So can anyone confirm these limitations of the ES100 via USB C connection? Cuz that really would be a deal breaker for me. Any recommendations as an alternative as per the information I provided in my earlier posts?
What you are looking for is stuff from e1da

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #5,657 of 6,675
When connected to ES100, my phone lists (in settings for ES100): Phone Calls, Media Audio, HD audio: Qualcomm aptX audio.

When ES100 is not connected, list is: Phone Calls, Media Audio, HD audio (without mention of aptX).

I searched around the web for quite a while, and it seems that android (8.1) is capable of aptX HD and LDAC; but for some reason my phone (Moto G5S plus) is not. Annoying thing is that is was capable of aptX HD, but certain system update killed that, and it does not work anymore. System update cannot be reversed, and manufacturer will not answer any questions regarding this.

Phone has never been capable of LDAC, but there is "zip flash" (?) that should bring back aptX HD support. But after reading endless pages of foreign language (well, English, but about something I just did not understand) I came to a conclusion that it, "Flashing zip/rom", is something I am unable to do with my fairly limited knowledge about android.

It seems that I would have to have a zip to flash (found it), software to flash it with (found that too), which will run when some secret key/button combination is pressed (which I do not know) and any error would brick my phone, and then some third software to install the second software that would be used to "flash the zip".. My hand are raised high.. like really high.

This "update to wireless" process seems to end up becoming a little more expensive that I'd have liked.. maybe Santa will bring me a new phone :)

Sounds like a good excuse to get a new phone. The Pixel 3a and 3a XL are both great low priced options. I have the 3a and love it, and I've had nothing but flagship phones in the past.

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #5,658 of 6,675
When connected to ES100, my phone lists (in settings for ES100): Phone Calls, Media Audio, HD audio: Qualcomm aptX audio.

When ES100 is not connected, list is: Phone Calls, Media Audio, HD audio (without mention of aptX).

I searched around the web for quite a while, and it seems that android (8.1) is capable of aptX HD and LDAC; but for some reason my phone (Moto G5S plus) is not. Annoying thing is that is was capable of aptX HD, but certain system update killed that, and it does not work anymore. System update cannot be reversed, and manufacturer will not answer any questions regarding this.

Phone has never been capable of LDAC, but there is "zip flash" (?) that should bring back aptX HD support. But after reading endless pages of foreign language (well, English, but about something I just did not understand) I came to a conclusion that it, "Flashing zip/rom", is something I am unable to do with my fairly limited knowledge about android.

It seems that I would have to have a zip to flash (found it), software to flash it with (found that too), which will run when some secret key/button combination is pressed (which I do not know) and any error would brick my phone, and then some third software to install the second software that would be used to "flash the zip".. My hand are raised high.. like really high.

This "update to wireless" process seems to end up becoming a little more expensive that I'd have liked.. maybe Santa will bring me a new phone :)
I take no responsibility for your phone, you accept all risk, but if you are desperate to try recovery mode and this file to apply a different firmware, here are secret keys. ITS NOT MY FAULT IF YOU HURT YOUR PHONE OR DATA
https://www.hardreset.info/devices/motorola/motorola-moto-g5s-plus/recovery-mode/

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #5,659 of 6,675
So I got a 3.5mm dust cover
IMG_20191112_152625__01.jpg
The problem is Everytime it's fully inserted it triggers the, I guess, switch for the 3.5mm and I lose audio on the 2.5mm even if it's locked. Now what I wanna know is what's causing this, where is the sensor that allows the es100 to know there's something in the 3.5mm Jack? Is it at the end of the Jack? So the stem of the dust cover is what triggers it? Or is it along the walls of the Jack that tells the es100 something's plugged in?

I would personally ditch that metal one and get one of the non-conductive rubber/silicone/plastic ones.

Nov 12, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #5,661 of 6,675
Hello, we are giving out a 30% discount coupon on HE100 exclusive for ES100 Users!
Please follow the link below and fill out the form. We will send 30% off Amazon promo code on HE100 High-Resolution Earphones by email on November 19th.

▶️Link: http://bit.ly/2KhbsFw
▶️Event period: 11/12(Tue) ~ 11/16(Sat)
▶️For whom: Amazon US, Amazon Japan users
▶️Coupon will be sent by email on 11/19(Tue)

✔️Check out some review on HE100
▶️Major Hifi: https://majorhifi.com/radsone-earstudio-he100-review/
▶️Prime Audio: https://primeaudio.org/radsone-earstudio-he100-review/

*This event is only for Amazon US and Japan. We will do giveaway for other Amazon stores soon.

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #5,663 of 6,675
Hmm interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing an iPhone users take on it. Those loud startup/shutdown sounds are what annoy me about the BT1 cable, but I'm using it again purely for the convenience.
The answer is quite simple, really, nothing except for standard Bluetooth from iOS devices. In short it works as it should, but the only thing I really need my ES100 for is Spotify

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #5,664 of 6,675
Hello, we are giving out a 30% discount coupon on HE100 exclusive for ES100 Users!
Please follow the link below and fill out the form. We will send 30% off Amazon promo code on HE100 High-Resolution Earphones by email on November 19th.

▶️Link: http://bit.ly/2KhbsFw
▶️Event period: 11/12(Tue) ~ 11/16(Sat)
▶️For whom: Amazon US, Amazon Japan users
▶️Coupon will be sent by email on 11/19(Tue)

✔️Check out some review on HE100
▶️Major Hifi: https://majorhifi.com/radsone-earstudio-he100-review/
▶️Prime Audio: https://primeaudio.org/radsone-earstudio-he100-review/

*This event is only for Amazon US and Japan. We will do giveaway for other Amazon stores soon.

I'm very busy these days, but want to write down some words regarding HE100 (not a review in any way, but some -I hope- useful words for those interested).

First of all, this is a very very comfortable IEM to use on the go. Cable is fixed, but I think none will find any problem with it sound-wise. There's a vent to help retain moisture and sweat.
Sound is pretty balanced but requires a good seal (nothing difficult due to very friendly shape). Bass is very good. Is clearly there and goes quite low, but there's some roll-off in the bottom end (and a bit in the upper one, but I mention it later). Continuing with bass, it is clear, quick, defined and has good texture. Mids are clean, defined and have good timbre (and are not recessed nor too ahead). Highs are a bit rolled off, but on the other hand are clear, have air and spark and I love the timbre of cymbals specially (but timbre is very good in general).
Build quality and finishes are very good too. Nothing to regret. Mic and controls work very well (better mic than most of my other cables with mic).

Negative points:
- Cable has a LOT of microphonics. Especially the upper part, the one that has no cloth covering (and especially if you wear them cable-down). A simple gripper solves this.
- Typical high mids boost to gain clarity (don't like it at all, but there're no sibilances). I prefer smooth sound at the cost of 5-10% of detail anyday.
- Very good for classical, soft jazz and acoustic music in general, but I like to EQ lows a bit up (only sub-bass and a pinch of mid-bass) and high mids a bit down when listening to metal, hard rock...

Summing up, I honestly think that HE100 is a very good option and deserves the price asked. If you like soft music genres, it sounds quite better than some more expensive gear (and it can be an all terrain with some punctual equalization).
I remember myself on the very first listen (without any burn-in) thinking: Sound is very good. Pretty transparent and very detailed for a sub-100 DD, but in general I like a bit more warmth and the peak in high mids bothered me a bit at first (no sibilance at all). Layering and resolution are good at this price range and soundstage is decent/good depending on track used. 3D is good too, but I find it better in both ends and too much centered in most of the mids (voice, guitar...).

I'd recommend HE100 any time to any friend that uses to listen classic/jazz... And this is something serious for me cause I like good but authoritative bass and much prefer a bit warmish sound.

Feel free to ask any question.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #5,665 of 6,675
Hello everyone,
After much frustration with several DAC dongles (Sonata S3 and IBasso DC02) i think i want to just spend a little more and get a proper portable DAC that actually has some real control over the device. My budget is only in the $100 range. Nearly pulled the trigger on the Fiio A5 today, but then I second-guessed myself when i realized that it only connects to devices via a 3.5mm port, which unfortunately are being phased out on so many phones. My S10+ still has one, but they already got rid of it on the Note 10, so the future of 3.5mm ports on mobile are lookin bleak. Then I saw that there's a Es100 Mk2 available on Amazon now and it got me thinking about it again. I know many ppl in this forum have recommended it, and it seems there's some mild design improvements over the original es100 ,but is otherwise basically the same as the original. I checked out the app to control the device today. Looks pretty nice, I like it. But I still have some reservations about it. Not really interested in listening to music via bluetooth. I prefer a wired connection. But I like that the ES100 has the option of both wired and wireless. Just wondering if there's any other good suggestions out there? Preferably something with its own power source like the Fiio A5 or ES100. Im thinking going with something that has a USB C connection would be better for future proofing. Also the media players i use on my phone support usb DACs, so overall its probably the best choice.

Im wondering how big a difference there would be between the ES100 mk2 that supports 24/192 and other similarly priced DACs that offer a 32/384 option.

the es100 is in the unique position of being one of the few viable bluetooth/wired solutions available. not to mention, the es100 came out of nowhere so expectations are rising. i just receivd the he100's and i am addicted.

some of us prefer strictly wired but there are way too many easy solutions for that. for some of us, the es100 is a 2 fer 1 solution. best of both worlds on wired and wireless and the DAC and app are amazing. yes mk2 is $100. i was fortunate enough to get my es100 on sale. i am fixing to buy another at the $100 price with no hesitation. the es100 can also be used as a DAC. battery life and micro USB are the two weakest links and the battery life is sufficent around 8-10h but as with many mobile devices more is better.

Nov 14, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #5,666 of 6,675
Thanks for the replies. My entire music library is in one form of lossless audio or another. Started picking up a few DSD albums recently, but everything else is mostly FLACS. I do have a pretty good ear for changes in audio quality and fidelity. Ive been using Neutron Music Player for quite a few years now, and what really got me interested in DACs is the difference I noticed after first trying one. My phone, with Neutron can play my music up to 32/384. Knowing that the Sonata S3 only outputs at a max of 24/192, I picked it up anyway just to try. Several people on this forum insisted I'd likely experience better quality audio with one of these dongles vs my phone's integrated dac. As my Chi-fi collection has expanded I started running into problems with IEM cables not fitting in my phone's jack because of clearance issues with the case I am currently using. So I wanted to explore a USB C option. Much to my surprise music really did sound alot better with the Sonata S3, despite its output limitations. But then the dang thing nearly deafened me a couple times with strange volume control bugs and that got returned. The IBasso DC02 has also provided a superior experience but has also given me some frustrating troubles. When i saw how much control you have over the ES100 in the app, it seemed very appealing to me.

As for listening. I don't travel on foot much, so I do most of my listening while relaxing at home or in the car. So pocket comfort isn't a big concern for me. If i had picked up a larger dac, like size of the Fiio A5
Id probably just strap it to my phone like many people do.
As much as I'm not super interested in Bluetooth, i admit it does have some appeal. If i was going on a cleaning rampage around the house. It would be nice to have something like the ES100 where i could have less dangling wires and a lightweight unit to clip on my clothes. If i got the ES100,I'd likely be using it wired most of the time and occasionally using the Bluetooth feature in scenarios where its more convenient.

liberate yourself. free your mind. you don't have to go on a cleaning rampage to enjoy this. i am in the position of using my old LG V20 as a DAP with and w/o the ES100. my edc is a note9 so the shackles are broke free. notice how many enjoy this little bugger? even the 'philes with money? notice how unassuming it is also without branding everywhere? or using premium materials which also has tradeoffs like upping the price? i can only imagine there has been at least a handful of funerals from being washed and dried. best $100 you spent.

Nov 16, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #5,668 of 6,675
So I've been messing around my Android's Dev options and I found that you can manually set the bt audio sample rate. So I was messing with 96k. While I'm able to set it to 96k, Everytime I start up the es100 it would go back down to 44.1k and have to go back to the settings and put it back to 96. Now this is not some discussion about 44.1 vs 96k, I'm just curious if it's the es100 that's putting it back down to 44.1. since I askednon my.phones discord and they suggested that it's what evers connected to the bt that's putting it back down.

Nov 16, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #5,669 of 6,675
So I've been messing around my Android's Dev options and I found that you can manually set the bt audio sample rate. So I was messing with 96k. While I'm able to set it to 96k, Everytime I start up the es100 it would go back down to 44.1k and have to go back to the settings and put it back to 96. Now this is not some discussion about 44.1 vs 96k, I'm just curious if it's the es100 that's putting it back down to 44.1. since I askednon my.phones discord and they suggested that it's what evers connected to the bt that's putting it back down.

Not sure what is your question. These developer options reset everytime you reboot, turn off Bluetooth in your device... I set them just after connect ES100 always to 24bit, 96kHz and 990/990 kbps and pretty happy :gs1000smile:

Nov 16, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #5,670 of 6,675
Not sure what is your question. These developer options reset everytime you reboot, turn off Bluetooth in your device... I set them just after connect ES100 always to 24bit, 96kHz and 990/990 kbps and pretty happy :gs1000smile:

Oh ok so Everytime I turn off the es100, it would reset the sample rate back to 44.1k, and I would have to set it back to 96k when I turn the es100 back on? I'm wondering if this is not al behaviour, I was under the impression that the dev options would only reset upon reboot of the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back