Radsone EarStudio ES100
Mar 3, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #6,661 of 6,675
Is this company still dead? I'd love to see an upgraded ES100 but I don't think that's going to happen. The ES100 is now about 7 years old. I love the sound of this thing. It's got a nice warmth and bounce to it that the BTR series doesn't have. I mainly still use it on my ATH-m40x.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #6,662 of 6,675
Is this company still dead? I'd love to see an upgraded ES100 but I don't think that's going to happen. The ES100 is now about 7 years old. I love the sound of this thing. It's got a nice warmth and bounce to it that the BTR series doesn't have. I mainly still use it on my ATH-m40x.

There was an update a few years ago. Its called the Qudelix 5K.

I've seen the Q5K go for $89 on drop.com but it isn't a lot more at regular price on the Qudelix site.

Happy listening!

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #6,664 of 6,675
I will note that the Qudelix 5K uses the same Sabre DAC chip as most BTRs. I find its highs more detailed but a bit spicier than the ES100's AKM chip -- which is odd since they graph the same and both measure extremely low for distortion.
I have no doubt q5k sound better than es100 because my dawn 4.4 sounded better than es100(mk1)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #6,665 of 6,675
I, for one, liked the Es100 much better than the Qudelix. Both for its sound and its simpler interface. Sold the Qudelix soon, still own and use ES100 1. gen and 2. gen

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #6,666 of 6,675
I, for one, liked the Es100 much better than the Qudelix. Both for its sound and its simpler interface. Sold the Qudelix soon, still own and use ES100 1. gen and 2. gen
Very interesting. I certainly respect your opinion.

What headphones are you using with the ES100?

My Q5K sounds better than my ES100 on every pair of headphones I own. That includes Sundara, HD58X, and several others. This is with no EQ on either device.

I put a ton of time into tuning the PEQ on the Q5K and my HD58X. I should post my settings to the Q5K thread. I find that combo super smooth with enough warmth to make it highly pleasurable.

I will say the Q5K comes up a bit short on power for the Sundara. It sounds great but you have to go easy on the bass curve or it runs out of power where a big desk amp can hit a whole lot harder. Even at medium volume, its noticeable and kills the little battery quickly. The Q5K does OK but is not suited for big planars.

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #6,667 of 6,675
Very interesting. I certainly respect your opinion.

What headphones are you using with the ES100?

My Q5K sounds better than my ES100 on every pair of headphones I own. That includes Sundara, HD58X, and several others. This is with no EQ on either device.

I put a ton of time into tuning the PEQ on the Q5K and my HD58X. I should post my settings to the Q5K thread. I find that combo super smooth with enough warmth to make it highly pleasurable.

I will say the Q5K comes up a bit short on power for the Sundara. It sounds great but you have to go easy on the bass curve or it runs out of power where a big desk amp can hit a whole lot harder. Even at medium volume, its noticeable and kills the little battery quickly. The Q5K does OK but is not suited for big planars.
I can imagine.

I use/used those small devices only on the go, and at the time when I owned the Q it was mostly with my 64audio N8, sometimes with my M-100. so both not a difficult load.

I’ve always liked the AKM DACs, but they are of course only a one part of the equation.

I much disliked the, to me, overly complex Qudelix app. And I never got the hang of which button does what. Both aspects may have tainted my experience.

Mar 4, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #6,670 of 6,675
Spiritual successor with a different chipset. I want an actual updated ES100.
I consider it to be more than just spiritual.

The designer moved to a different company and continued his work.

When is the last time Radsone updated the software?

Life moves on. New companies. New chipsets. More switches and knobs...

If you really enjoy the ES100, perhaps that is an opportunity? I would imagine they have little to no value on the used market. You could upgrade the batts and have one on every pair of headphones.

I find the interface on the GEQ to be sufficiently cumbersome that I don't adjust it between headphones. Maybe there is no need? Just get one for each headphone.

The app is dead but perhaps its good enough?

FWIW, the AliExpress battery I swapped in two years ago is probably down to half original capacity. Its still good but no longer amazing. I need to find a better battery that will retain its capacity longer. Mine hasn't had a lot of use since I got the Q5K so it's a bit disappointing to see the quick degradation.

Batteries are getting better so I'm sure there is a great upgrade option for the ES100

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #6,671 of 6,675
I love that idea. Buy them out, mod with a bigger battery (which I made a video about). Go nuts. I am a SERIOUS mobile bro and I take my weight -> performance ratio extremely serious. I do high altitude running and fwiw, I use a modded ES100 with a 20+ hr battery for my big boy runs. Yes I need ALL of that. If the music stops, mojo goes down. Can't have that happen.

Here is a 30 mile, from 8200-13200ft , 10,000 ft total gain elevation hiking video. It's my once a year pilgrimage to break myself into tiny pieces. I use the ES100, modded as mentioned. For this year I used a pair of my best modded planar iems. I get to listen to music for basically 12 hours straight. Awesome!

My mobile amp is super important for this stuff. Running with no tunes is pure suck, especially when the pain sets in hard.

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #6,672 of 6,675
Here is a 30 mile, from 8200-13200ft , 10,000 ft total gain elevation hiking video. It's my once a year pilgrimage to break myself into tiny pieces. I use the ES100, modded as mentioned. For this year I used a pair of my best modded planar iems. I get to listen to music for basically 12 hours straight. Awesome!

My dad is a massive hiker/hike leader/national forest enthusiast and I showed him this video. He enjoyed it a lot.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #6,675 of 6,675
I love that idea. Buy them out, mod with a bigger battery (which I made a video about). Go nuts. I am a SERIOUS mobile bro and I take my weight -> performance ratio extremely serious. I do high altitude running and fwiw, I use a modded ES100 with a 20+ hr battery for my big boy runs. Yes I need ALL of that. If the music stops, mojo goes down. Can't have that happen.

My mobile amp is super important for this stuff. Running with no tunes is pure suck, especially when the pain sets in hard.

It'd be very helpfull if you can post a picture of the battery which can run for 20+ hr. I've tryed different make battaries from Aliexpress and the longest time they can last with my 800st is like 5-7 hours depending on the volume, not to mention that they all degrade in capasity super fast. I noticed 50 cycles of charge-discharge will degrade them to half of thier original capacity. On the picture you can see the advertised vs real mah capacity, I checked when some of them were new and some after some use.

Attachments

• 20240417_120043.jpg
    20240417_120043.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back