Radsone EarStudio ES100
Nov 11, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #5,641 of 6,675
Then I saw that there's a Es100 Mk2 available on Amazon now and it got me thinking about it again. I know many ppl in this forum have recommended it, and it seems there's some mild design improvements over the original es100 ,but is otherwise basically the same as the original.

Yeah, the changes are minor physical improvements. Seem good but not game-changing.

I checked out the app to control the device today. Looks pretty nice, I like it. But I still have some reservations about it. Not really interested in listening to music via bluetooth. I prefer a wired connection. But I like that the ES100 has the option of both wired and wireless. Just wondering if there's any other good suggestions out there?

Fiio and Shanling have adapters that are in the same market segment, but I don't know offhand if they do wired. Fiio Q5 sereis does for sure but is over budget. The big question mark is the upcoming Qudelix 5K from the ES100's designer -- if your budget is limited and you have some patience, I would wait to see how that reviews before deciding between that, the ES100, or something else. (Personally, the biggest advantge of the ES100 and potentially the 5K is a good EQ that can even be controlled wirelessly from a phone even while it's being used wired to a PC.)

One question to bear in mind re: the dongles generally, is: do you want something for use wired, while it's in your pocket? And if so, will the device and your phone's connection be able to hold up to the stresses that may be placed on them during pocket use, and also, will the phone+dongle combination be comfortable to carry in a pocket.

Im thinking going with something that has a USB C connection would be better for future proofing. Also the media players i use on my phone support usb DACs, so overall its probably the best choice.

Im wondering how big a difference there would be between the ES100 mk2 that supports 24/192 and other similarly priced DACs that offer a 32/384 option.

How music do you listen to in higher bitrates, and do you believe theres an audible difference? This would be the main determining factor.

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #5,643 of 6,675
Well I'd be using the ES100 with my smartphone. That would be pretty disappointing if its that limited through its USB C connection though. Especially considering the simple IBasso DC02 dongle i had purchased recently supports full 32/384 and the Sonata S3 24/192.

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #5,644 of 6,675
The ES100 does not support 24/192. Max resolution on USB is 16/44 on Windows or 16/48 on Mac.
Well I'd be using the ES100 with my smartphone. That would be pretty disappointing if its that limited through its USB C connection though. Especially considering the simple IBasso DC02 dongle i had purchased recently supports full 32/384 and the Sonata S3 24/192.

Nov 12, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #5,645 of 6,675
Yeah, the changes are minor physical improvements. Seem good but not game-changing.

Fiio and Shanling have adapters that are in the same market segment, but I don't know offhand if they do wired. Fiio Q5 sereis does for sure but is over budget. The big question mark is the upcoming Qudelix 5K from the ES100's designer -- if your budget is limited and you have some patience, I would wait to see how that reviews before deciding between that, the ES100, or something else. (Personally, the biggest advantge of the ES100 and potentially the 5K is a good EQ that can even be controlled wirelessly from a phone even while it's being used wired to a PC.)

One question to bear in mind re: the dongles generally, is: do you want something for use wired, while it's in your pocket? And if so, will the device and your phone's connection be able to hold up to the stresses that may be placed on them during pocket use, and also, will the phone+dongle combination be comfortable to carry in a pocket.

How music do you listen to in higher bitrates, and do you believe theres an audible difference? This would be the main determining factor.

Thanks for the replies. My entire music library is in one form of lossless audio or another. Started picking up a few DSD albums recently, but everything else is mostly FLACS. I do have a pretty good ear for changes in audio quality and fidelity. Ive been using Neutron Music Player for quite a few years now, and what really got me interested in DACs is the difference I noticed after first trying one. My phone, with Neutron can play my music up to 32/384. Knowing that the Sonata S3 only outputs at a max of 24/192, I picked it up anyway just to try. Several people on this forum insisted I'd likely experience better quality audio with one of these dongles vs my phone's integrated dac. As my Chi-fi collection has expanded I started running into problems with IEM cables not fitting in my phone's jack because of clearance issues with the case I am currently using. So I wanted to explore a USB C option. Much to my surprise music really did sound alot better with the Sonata S3, despite its output limitations. But then the dang thing nearly deafened me a couple times with strange volume control bugs and that got returned. The IBasso DC02 has also provided a superior experience but has also given me some frustrating troubles. When i saw how much control you have over the ES100 in the app, it seemed very appealing to me.

As for listening. I don't travel on foot much, so I do most of my listening while relaxing at home or in the car. So pocket comfort isn't a big concern for me. If i had picked up a larger dac, like size of the Fiio A5
Id probably just strap it to my phone like many people do.
As much as I'm not super interested in Bluetooth, i admit it does have some appeal. If i was going on a cleaning rampage around the house. It would be nice to have something like the ES100 where i could have less dangling wires and a lightweight unit to clip on my clothes. If i got the ES100,I'd likely be using it wired most of the time and occasionally using the Bluetooth feature in scenarios where its more convenient.

Nov 12, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #5,646 of 6,675

Really not a fair comparison. The limitation comes from how most BT adapter is designed internally. To enable hi-res playback over 24/48, you will need a dedicated USB controller chip that is USB Class 2 Audio compatible. The built-in USB controller inside most BT chip simply doesn't have that capacity, as they are mostly only USB Class 1 Audio device. An USB audio dongle on the other hand usually will have an USB controller chip that is Class 2 Audio compatible. To allow hi-res playback over USB, an BT adapter will need an extra chip, which gonna increase cost, take up space, and use up battery power. Given it isn't a priority for BT adapter to have hi-res playback capability over USB, I would imagine most companies will opt to keep things simple by not implementing the function.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #5,647 of 6,675
Really not a fair comparison. The limitation comes from how most BT adapter is designed internally. To enable hi-res playback over 24/48, you will need a dedicated USB controller chip that is USB Class 2 Audio compatible. The built-in USB controller inside most BT chip simply doesn't have that capacity, as they are mostly only USB Class 1 Audio device. An USB audio dongle on the other hand usually will have an USB controller chip that is Class 2 Audio compatible. To allow hi-res playback over USB, an BT adapter will need an extra chip, which gonna increase cost, take up space, and use up battery power. Given it isn't a priority for BT adapter to have hi-res playback capability over USB, I would imagine most companies will opt to keep things simple by not implementing the function.

Oh, well that's unfortunate. I guess the ES100 is likely not for me then. Because I'd mostly be using it as a USB DAC for my phone. So can anyone confirm these limitations of the ES100 via USB C connection? Cuz that really would be a deal breaker for me. Any recommendations as an alternative as per the information I provided in my earlier posts?

Nov 12, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #5,649 of 6,675
So I got a 3.5mm dust cover
IMG_20191112_152625__01.jpg
The problem is Everytime it's fully inserted it triggers the, I guess, switch for the 3.5mm and I lose audio on the 2.5mm even if it's locked. Now what I wanna know is what's causing this, where is the sensor that allows the es100 to know there's something in the 3.5mm Jack? Is it at the end of the Jack? So the stem of the dust cover is what triggers it? Or is it along the walls of the Jack that tells the es100 something's plugged in?

Nov 12, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #5,650 of 6,675
Tidal had started to stream "360 Reality" sound formats. Does the ES100 support that over BT LDAC?

Thanks

I recently tried 360 Reality on my new Sony Xperia 5 and WH-CH700N (which both support LDAC). Enabling the 360 Reality on the app actually automatically reset the LDAC connection to SBC.

So I got a 3.5mm dust cover

I am using one of these
auda.jpg

Nov 12, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #5,651 of 6,675
Got my ES100, and finally found time to try it... and hairpulling started instantly. I have a Android phone (Moto G5S Plus) that supports aptX HD (SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD and LDAC), which I'd like to use.

When ES100 is on "default setting", and has SBC, LDAC, AAC, aptX and aptX HD selected, and phone is on "default setting" (use system default selected from "Select Bluetooth audio codec" list), Bluetooth connection is made using aptX.

If I remove aptX from Earstudio app, connection is made using AAC.

If I remove aptX and AAC from Earstudio app, connection is made using SBC.

SBC and LDAC cannot be removed (from Earstudio app).

If I keep all codecs from Earstudio app, and select aptX HD from phone's codec list, it seems to be selected, but when Bluetooth connection is made, phone reverts back to aptX.

Same thing with LDAC, if I select it from phone, connection is still made using aptX.

Any ideas how to get aptX HD (or LDAC) working?

EDIT:

Problem seems to be with my phone. When I go to "Developer options" -> "Select Bluetooth Audio Codec" and select "aptX HD", it is selected, but when I leave "Developer options" menu and go back, phone has gone back to "Use System Selection" instead of aptX HD. This is done with Bluetooth turned off, so ES100 has nothing to do with it.

I just do not understand why aptX HD (or LDAC) is not used as "system selection", when phone and ES100 are capable of that.
My G7 does the same thing you describe. I have looked all over the Internet for phone specifications, to no avail, but I do not think my phone has the hardware to support the better codecs in the developer options. Yours either. Probably explains the constant return to aptX. We are using budget phones.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #5,652 of 6,675
The clip is dual-structured so that it's more solid and stable. Please refer to the image below.
KsJmJZ4TKK9q-pQ7MedL23Imh3b_Z_EPg9du7hyj-t8449WCaMCS1s2wOfbiysBgcpDvEIizJ2BRZWvnnnPxk2-86qgca5ceBBDKMrHzwXzYhzR98DDRYdunsE2nCl6_dhikWXIh

After you post about the updated ''mk2'' version, I ordered from Amazon France, where in your product's page, we see this ''mk2'' version, but oh what surprise, I received the ''mk1'' this morning, which I have already....
Could you please update your products that Amazon holds and ships for you and update when this will be available, so to re-order it?
Thank you,

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #5,653 of 6,675

If there's one thing that this forum makes me hate it's the fidelity arms race. There's enough of an argument to be made about whether bitrates over 320 are audible with modern codecs (and it's a near certainty they aren't), but people in here going on about 16/44.1 vs 24/192 vs 32/384 is just goddamn insane. I realize that it's easier to readily compare devices when you can just look at numbers, but we've entered the realm of delusion.

This is mandatory reading everyone. I'm not kidding. Before you start responding about how you can totally hear it, read: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Why push back against 24/192? Because it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, a business model based on willful ignorance and scamming people. The more that pseudoscience goes unchecked in the world at large, the harder it is for truth to overcome truthiness... even if this is a small and relatively insignificant example.

Don't be a mark. Get a good piece of kit with quality components that sound the best, not the one that promises the highest numbers.

Nov 12, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #5,654 of 6,675
While the ES100 is connected, in the phone's Bluetooth settings (the list of paired devices, not the Developer Options), open the settings for Radsone EarStudio and there should be a setting for enabling LDAC. This will make LDAC default for the ES100.

Should look similar to this:

When connected to ES100, my phone lists (in settings for ES100): Phone Calls, Media Audio, HD audio: Qualcomm aptX audio.

Screenshot.png

When ES100 is not connected, list is: Phone Calls, Media Audio, HD audio (without mention of aptX).

I searched around the web for quite a while, and it seems that android (8.1) is capable of aptX HD and LDAC; but for some reason my phone (Moto G5S plus) is not. Annoying thing is that is was capable of aptX HD, but certain system update killed that, and it does not work anymore. System update cannot be reversed, and manufacturer will not answer any questions regarding this.

Phone has never been capable of LDAC, but there is "zip flash" (?) that should bring back aptX HD support. But after reading endless pages of foreign language (well, English, but about something I just did not understand) I came to a conclusion that it, "Flashing zip/rom", is something I am unable to do with my fairly limited knowledge about android.

It seems that I would have to have a zip to flash (found it), software to flash it with (found that too), which will run when some secret key/button combination is pressed (which I do not know) and any error would brick my phone, and then some third software to install the second software that would be used to "flash the zip".. My hand are raised high.. like really high.

This "update to wireless" process seems to end up becoming a little more expensive that I'd have liked.. maybe Santa will bring me a new phone :)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #5,655 of 6,675
My G7 does the same thing you describe. I have looked all over the Internet for phone specifications, to no avail, but I do not think my phone has the hardware to support the better codecs in the developer options. Yours either. Probably explains the constant return to aptX. We are using budget phones.

Check this link, it seems that 8.0 -> 8.1 killed the aptX HD support on my phone.

I found some other mentions as well, not just that one. For other phones is seems to have been update to Android 9.

So we do have hardware, and the problem lies within software updates. Way to go Lenovo.

There is this thing that should bring aptX HD back, but my skills aint good enough to try.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back