Radsone EarStudio ES100
Sep 6, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #5,296 of 6,675
this started happening to me a while ago...got progressively worse until the unit stopped functioning.
i contacted Radsone, and they sent me a code for a new unit from Amazon.
i have the new one and it doesnt do this..yet. but i am a bit skeptical about the reliability of the thing now.
Just to know, when did you purchased your first unit? (approx)

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #5,297 of 6,675
If only software updates wouldn't break things life would be great today:angry:! Android 9 (or Android Pie) was 2 steps forward where things just worked. Now, Android 10 is 1 step backwards when it comes to the "Developer Options" for Bluetooth settings.

On Android 9, I was able to select the various Playback Qualities for LDAC and you would hear the switch take place. Now under Android 10, I can't select "Optimized for Audio Quality". It reverts back to "Best Effort (Adaptive Bit Rate)" only!

LDACWithBestEffortOnly.png

Additionally, it's soooooooo much more finicky to switch out of LDAC into other codec's like SBC or aptX :persevere:.

Is anyone experiencing this issue on the newly released Android 10?

The strange thing with Android 9 was that it would always default to "Best Effort (Adaptive Bit Rate)" as reported by others on here which I agree was annoying. You'd thereafter always have to select "Optimized for Audio Quality" every time you turned on the ES100. Could it be that "Optimized for Audio Quality" never kicked in despite the ability to select it under Android 9?

Either way, Android 10 is much more finicky. For example, under some circumstances selecting aptX reverts back to SBC. A lot of the selections just don't take hold like they used to. Or, so that's my perception in playing around with it today.

It's a mess now:confounded:!

Sep 6, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #5,301 of 6,675
Regarding a new ES100 battery. What should be the standby time (powered on, connected via bt to the phone, but no music playing, also connected to ~20 ohm iems), from 100% to ~0% ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #5,304 of 6,675
Hi all,
People really seem to sing this li'l guy's praises and say it's great "for the price," but that makes me want to know how good and does it punch above its weight. I'm wondering if anybody has compared this to any more expensive portable DAC/amps? Specifically, I'm interested in how it fairs against the DragonFly Red, original FiiO X5, FiiO Q5/Q5S, Topping NX4 DSD... but I'd also be interested to know how it fairs against other "better" DAC/amps, too. The more specific the comparison, the better!
Or do you know of any reviews with similar comparisons? Most that I've found only compare it to similarly priced items.

Thanks!
I have not tried most of the devices you mentioned but the ES100 does share some similarity with the DragonFly Black. Both have very "accessible" sound as opposed to the neutral soundsig typically found on "reference wannabe" devices. The background could be cleaner though.

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #5,305 of 6,675
I have not tried most of the devices you mentioned but the ES100 does share some similarity with the DragonFly Black. Both have very "accessible" sound as opposed to the neutral soundsig typically found on "reference wannabe" devices. The background could be cleaner though.
Thanks! That helps! I haven't heard the Black myself, but there are so many impressions of it out there that I feel like I have a handle on its sound. My last DAC/amp was the DFR, which I enjoyed quite a bit, till it broke.

Anybody else with comparisons?

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #5,306 of 6,675
Now under Android 10, I can't select "Optimized for Audio Quality". It reverts back to "Best Effort (Adaptive Bit Rate)" only!
Is anyone experiencing this issue on the newly released Android 10?
Yes, happens to me too!

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #5,307 of 6,675
Thanks! That helps! I haven't heard the Black myself, but there are so many impressions of it out there that I feel like I have a handle on its sound. My last DAC/amp was the DFR, which I enjoyed quite a bit, till it broke.

Anybody else with comparisons?

I don't understand what you're looking for but for $99 I'd choose ES100 for Bluetooth and the E1DA ES9038S for USB connection if that helps.

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #5,308 of 6,675
I don't understand what you're looking for but for $99 I'd choose ES100 for Bluetooth and the E1DA ES9038S for USB connection if that helps.
Thanks. Basically, I'm exploring options for a new portable DAC/amp for use with my Galaxy S9; I used to use the DFR (until it broke), and I'd be pretty happy to get it again, but there are a few things it doesn't quite get right (mostly ergonomics). The ES100 is the least expensive of the options I'm thinking about, so I'm starting here. I've seen a lot of claims that the ES100 is sonically very good for the price, but I wanted to know how it compares to higher-end portables— basically, does it actually punch above it's class. I'm curious about Bluetooth because I've never tried it, it seems like it could be convenient, but I'm not married to the idea. It also has a great feature set that's not matched by any of the more expensive options, and that's really appealing.
I've heard of the E1DA, but I thought it wasn't good for mobile use since it draws so much power, so I wasn't really considering it. Maybe I'll have another look.

Sep 7, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #5,309 of 6,675
Thanks. Basically, I'm exploring options for a new portable DAC/amp for use with my Galaxy S9; I used to use the DFR (until it broke), and I'd be pretty happy to get it again, but there are a few things it doesn't quite get right (mostly ergonomics). The ES100 is the least expensive of the options I'm thinking about, so I'm starting here. I've seen a lot of claims that the ES100 is sonically very good for the price, but I wanted to know how it compares to higher-end portables— basically, does it actually punch above it's class. I'm curious about Bluetooth because I've never tried it, it seems like it could be convenient, but I'm not married to the idea. It also has a great feature set that's not matched by any of the more expensive options, and that's really appealing.
I've heard of the E1DA, but I thought it wasn't good for mobile use since it draws so much power, so I wasn't really considering it. Maybe I'll have another look.

You're right the E1DA ES9038S is not ideal for portable use (neither is the Dragonfly imo). The next batxh of 9038S will have IEM's mode and soft start so if you're comfortable with a device attached to your phone when out and about it might be an option.

Personally I like to have my phone free for other purposes so a device like the ES100 is a great solution for me. Especially since I feel that its sound quality is more than good enough to be enjoyable both on the move and in the office. I haven't done a proper comparison with other amp/dac because I don't see the point given their different areas of usage (at least to me). I do have a quite large collection of amp/dac's that could probably be considered portable (you can see them in my profile if it's of interest) and like I said I don't feel that I make much of a compromise in sq to gain a lot in convenience when using the ES100 if that makes sense.

Sep 7, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #5,310 of 6,675
Personally I like to have my phone free for other purposes so a device like the ES100 is a great solution for me. Especially since I feel that its sound quality is more than good enough to be enjoyable both on the move and in the office. I haven't done a proper comparison with other amp/dac because I don't see the point given their different areas of usage (at least to me). I do have a quite large collection of amp/dac's that could probably be considered portable (you can see them in my profile if it's of interest) and like I said I don't feel that I make much of a compromise in sq to gain a lot in convenience when using the ES100 if that makes sense.

Well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back