Radsone EarStudio ES100
Dec 5, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #3,406 of 6,675
Are majority of you on the 2.0.1 firmware or are you still sticking with Version 1.4.2? I do not have anything that supports Bluetooth 5.0 yet, so wondering if it is worthwhile to upgrade to 2.0.1 as it is not possible to downgrade anymore.

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #3,407 of 6,675
Are majority of you on the 2.0.1 firmware or are you still sticking with Version 1.4.2? I do not have anything that supports Bluetooth 5.0 yet, so wondering if it is worthwhile to upgrade to 2.0.1 as it is not possible to downgrade anymore.
I can't speak for others, but it appears that startup time has been shortened, which has been a positive for me. Double-precision equalization processing probably has improved objective quality, but my hearing is too chronologically-impaired to hear the difference - has someone else noticed, or measured?

I have no regrets.

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #3,408 of 6,675
I can't speak for others, but it appears that startup time has been shortened, which has been a positive for me. .

Thanks - that would be a positive for me as well. Time to upgrade methinks.

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #3,409 of 6,675
I Used the device like 2 hours before i updated to the latest firmware 2.0.1,

The 2 hours were great, after the update it is still great but Using LDAC connected to WM1A, I got around three dropouts per an hour but they are very small, less than a second dropouts.

I see others had the same problem after update, I still can't decide if its annoying enough for me to revert to old firmware or not, but anyway i hope they fix it soon

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #3,411 of 6,675
from their website :

"Warning
From the firmware v2.0 or later, ES100 supports Bluetooth 5.0 specification. Firmware update with the latest version v2.0 or later is available, but please note that reverting back to v1.4.2 or before is not possible. Once you have it updated with v2.0 or later, DO NOT revert the firmware back to v1.4.2. The device will be bricked."

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #3,413 of 6,675
@kingdixon be careful and double check what you are doing before reverting - Radsone said that if you're on FW 2 and later, you cannot revert to FW before 2 (so 1.x.x), or you'll brick the device

errrr, Thanks for the note !

I think most devices put such warning and nothing happens when you revert, but i wouldn't take the risk anyway ..

Will just wait for their update, i just hope they got our feedback about the dropouts.

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #3,414 of 6,675
I Used the device like 2 hours before i updated to the latest firmware 2.0.1,

The 2 hours were great, after the update it is still great but Using LDAC connected to WM1A, I got around three dropouts per an hour but they are very small, less than a second dropouts.

I see others had the same problem after update, I still can't decide if its annoying enough for me to revert to old firmware or not, but anyway i hope they fix it soon
I do recall after updating that I had a temporary issue with LDAC on my Sony Blu-Ray UBP-X800 player in "Audio Quality" mode (990 Kb/s); it wasn't dropouts, though - it was some kind of warbling distortion. I switched to AAC on the Sony and had no issues.

Later on, I was noticing some unacceptable latency while streaming Netflix on AAC, so I tried LDAC again. It's been fine ever since. I can't say that the 2.0.1 firmware had anything to do with the earlier issue; perhaps it was a coincidence.

I do have a few other devices nearby that are broadcasting in that crowded 2.4 GHz band (my main ASUS Wi-Fi router, Xfinity Home Security router, Amazon Echo, Philips Hue hub, etc.), so perhaps there were some temporary issues negotiating a decent connection with the Sony. I'm going to see about moving a few of those devices further away from the Sony Blu-Ray player; it may have a less-than-ideal internal antenna setup.

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #3,415 of 6,675
I haven't followed this thread in a while but I made a desktop mount for my ES100 and thought I'd share if anyone was interesting in printing one.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3264858

cnuRLpt.jpg

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #3,416 of 6,675
Hi

I want to get this to replace a Chromecast Audio dongle for Qobuz and Spotify LDAC BT reception from my new Fiio M9.

Will there be an issue with having it attached to power (I presume micro usb) full time?

Or should I look at another device?

Many thanks

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #3,417 of 6,675
Couldn't find a right angled 2.5mm balanced plug that is small enough to my liking. So I settle with the smallest straight one I have and mod'ed it to the short FiiO mmcx cable.

DSC_0153.jpg
DSC_0151.jpg

Dec 8, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #3,420 of 6,675
I agree, the ES100 app and EQ control is really what did it for me. I didn't just want a bluetooth adapter for my IE80's, I wanted to have full control of the EQ at the DAC level. The wireless is just a bonus. I'd get the ES100 but I could be biased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back