Radsone EarStudio ES100
Dec 3, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #3,391 of 6,675
Sorry if answered but searched thread and couldn't find. I have an iPhone X and just got a pair of HiFiMan HE400i (ambivalent to the SQ but that is another story). Rated at 35 Ohms and I thought the iPhone could at least drive them. However using the Lighting dongle at full volume they are "background" loud. On my iPad they are closer to reference at full volume but still need more power. Looking at getting a BT amp to use and the ES100 looks interesting. Will this amp drive them to "reference" volume and have plenty of power?

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #3,392 of 6,675
Sorry if answered but searched thread and couldn't find. I have an iPhone X and just got a pair of HiFiMan HE400i (ambivalent to the SQ but that is another story). Rated at 35 Ohms and I thought the iPhone could at least drive them. However using the Lighting dongle at full volume they are "background" loud. On my iPad they are closer to reference at full volume but still need more power. Looking at getting a BT amp to use and the ES100 looks interesting. Will this amp drive them to "reference" volume and have plenty of power?

I don't have those, but I do have Modhouse Argons (Fostex RP drivers), and based on that combo, I'd say you might be okay with the ES100 in balanced, but probably not single-ended.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #3,393 of 6,675
I don't have those, but I do have Modhouse Argons (Fostex RP drivers), and based on that combo, I'd say you might be okay with the ES100 in balanced, but probably not single-ended.
Thanks for the response. However my HE400i's don't list as having a balance input. Is there a way to wire them for a balanced signal?

Also "might be okay..." sounds iffy. I know you can't say for sure but are there other BT amps that are far more powerful?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #3,394 of 6,675
Thanks for the response. However my HE400i's don't list as having a balance input. Is there a way to wire them for a balanced signal?

Also "might be okay..." sounds iffy. I know you can't say for sure but are there other BT amps that are far more powerful?

You should be able to get a balanced cable for them pretty easily, since they're dual-entry headphones.

In terms of more powerful bluetooth amps -- yes, definitely, but the more powerful ones are going to be bulkier and probably the good ones will probably also be more expensive. E.g., look at the iFi xCAN or Fiio Q5.

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #3,395 of 6,675
I own that headphone and the ES100 drives it comfortably as it is a fairly easy headphone to drive. But I am also using an S9 versus an apple phone.

Dec 3, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #3,396 of 6,675
If the 400i has the dual 2.5 inputs (which it should I believe, unless they switched up to 3.5) and you are in the US then I have a balanced cable I can send you for cheap ($20)

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #3,397 of 6,675
If the 400i has the dual 2.5 inputs (which it should I believe, unless they switched up to 3.5) and you are in the US then I have a balanced cable I can send you for cheap ($20)

Just checked and it is dual 2.5mm inputs on the ear cups (one on each ear cup). How long (or short) is the cable (like 3'/1M to 5'/1.5M) and Y with 2.5mm (not XLR)?

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #3,398 of 6,675
Dec 4, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #3,401 of 6,675
Am loving this little gadget. Would be incredible if this could be used as a bluetooth transmitter for the hifi codecs like LDAC and aptx while connected to a computer.

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #3,402 of 6,675
Also I see you have a pair of HiFiMan phones. Are you driving them with the ES100 in balanced or unbalanced mode? What are the results?
Yes PayPal.

I got the balanced cable for them but they use 3.5 connectors which I forgot, haven't gotten a cable yet for them. Right now I run them through my desktop setup (Burson DAC/El Amp) and they are great. I think I've tried them from my ES100 but not much, I can run them single ended tonight. Although, I think my balanced Amiron cable will work, can test that tonight as well.

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #3,403 of 6,675
Yes PayPal.

I got the balanced cable for them but they use 3.5 connectors which I forgot, haven't gotten a cable yet for them. Right now I run them through my desktop setup (Burson DAC/El Amp) and they are great. I think I've tried them from my ES100 but not much, I can run them single ended tonight. Although, I think my balanced Amiron cable will work, can test that tonight as well.
PM your PayPal address and I'll do a PayPal gift for $20. I have been reading the thread and going to buy. I have pair of UE11's that I use at the gym and see I can use them with a balanced MMCX cable.

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #3,404 of 6,675
Yep! Mine started to rattle, too. So I took a spudger and carefully opened the ES100 up. It was the battery making the noise, which would not remain attached to the back cover via the double-sided tape provided. Since the tape still felt pretty sticky, I wiped the battery surface with isopropyl alcohol and reattached it to the tape. It’s been fine since and I hope it’ll stay this way.

Anyone experience a rattle in their ES100? Sounds like some is loose inside it. But it still works. Thinking I need to send it back.

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #3,405 of 6,675
I've not managed to read this thread in it's entirety but it seems most people are happy with battery life. I fully charged my unit (was showing 97%) which then dropped to the 92% within a few minutes Listened to it for 3.5 hours after which it was showing 47%. This was using the latest firmware, Ldac, 4x oversampling best sound quality and connected to ibasso it04 (balanced) Does this sound on the low side?

BTW, I'm loving the sound, my at pha55bt doesn't get much airtime.
I wouldn't trust that battery meter too much... I'm almost using the same settings you described and I'm getting the same results with the battery meter... Once it reaches about 30% and under it takes forever to run down... It's like the first 20% drains super fast but then it slows down and gives you great battery life...I have a feeling it's the app that has issues with the battery meter..I get over 10hrs easily and have never run out of power..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back