Radius HP-TWF11r Review and Impressions thread
May 24, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #211 of 864

Quote:
They make the stage larger? That is quite odd! Typically on the same phone the smaller the nozzle the smaller the stage compared to a bigger nozzle.

That's how I feel, for me, smaller nozzle add horizontal width, at the expense of depth. But then you have to count in other things such as ear structure, and also different way different people's brains interpret sound.

May 24, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #212 of 864
I've concluded a long time ago that eric has the equivalent of elephant ears or something similar. It is still pretty odd however and probably the first time I've heard that here.

May 24, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #213 of 864

Quote:
I've concluded a long time ago that eric has the equivalent of elephant ears or something similar. It is still pretty odd however and probably the first time I've heard that here.

Is the 'elephant ears' metaphor or a direct description? Either way it is interesting to say the least...
biggrin.gif

As of now, my friend is jumping all over the place waiting for his Radius to arrive.

May 24, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #214 of 864
Okay guys I don't know anything about the smaller the nozzle the smaller the stage, etc.. And I have medium-large ears. What I have discovered is that various tips (meaning how tightly the rubber covers or hugs the end of  the nozzle; how long or short the tips are; and the density of the tips) all affect the soundstage and details of various earphones in different ways. I might add that the material (foam or silicon and density of that) also has been a factor for me. Let me give you another example: I (and koonhua) discovered that the smaller the tips on the FX700 the more micro details you here. I've never experienced this with any other IEM before. I tried this experiment with the DDM and it didn't work. But on the FX700 not only do smaller tips give more micro details, but it affects the soundstage for me. Whether I'm using a small silicon tip or foam or hybrid also comes into play. Add to that - which may have been discussed with other IEMs before - that if I push the FX700 in a little too deep I lose soundstage, but it can't be too far out either. I'm no scientist, so explaining how hear what I hear when I wear certain tips is an explanation I can't give you.

One other thing to consider: the DDM is not like any other IEM I've known before, meaning where it's ported at (a decent size hole right where the nozzle stem ends in the back and goes into the body of the round part of the shell that houses the drivers). I've never seen any earphone ported like this. Usually ported earphones are like bullet-shaped and the port is at the opposite end of the nozzle. Well the DDM's back part (and port) basically lay almost flush with the inner part of the earlobe. What I'm getting at is that I can hear how the DDM is ported also plays a part in its unique soundstage. I know this because if I gently press the back part toward the earlobe I lose significant amounts of sound and staging. I take my finger off of it - allowing a wall of air and space - and the soundstage miraculously goes back to its glorious state. So I have learned that the tip you use, the placement of it in your ear canal (if you go too deep you lose some soundstage), and the way the back port is allowing sound to hit your inner earlobe all plays a part in the soundstage and details. Sorry if this doesn't match up with how you guys thought tips affect or don't affect soundstage, but I can only go with what my ears hear my friends. And now I'm getting even more soundstage and more micro details than ever before from the DDM  with the PFE - especially noticeable is the increased details in treble.. Happy listening.

May 24, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #215 of 864
Hmm I haven't tried much tip experimenting yet, namely because with such a large nozzle I assumed that only a few type of tips would actually be at all comfortable with these IEMS. (For instance if you put Head-Direct/ HiFiMan bi flanges on these they truly look like monsters.)

I'll have to open up my little treasure box of tips and have a play...

May 24, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #216 of 864
Good observation and I have noticed this as well however I am not convinced that it is related to the port so much as I get the same effect even after having taped off the rear port. I think it is more to do with the angle at which the sound tube is set in relation to the main body of the phone and the shape of the ear canal. I find that if I insert them so that the backs sit flat or at least parallel to the inside of the ear the tip does not follow the natural curve of the ear canal so well but rather presses up against it where there is a slight curve upward causing constriction to the end of the tip slightly muffling the sound. Pressing the phones flat against the inner ear has almost a lever effect further constricting the tip and decreasing clarity, detail etc.

By seating the DDMs in a more outward or open position the tube\tip is aligned more naturally with less constriction allowing sound to be conveyed more directly through the ear canal improving detail, clarity and soundstage. My personal preference is to  insert them flat and then pivoting them so that they sit with the top angle out and the bottom in so the tip\tube is angled slightly upward providing an open detailed sound signature along with improved isolation and more accurate controlled bass.

All that aside I am enjoying these more and more with each passing hour of listening and am finding that many of my original perceived shortcomings regarding design and fit are quite the reverse. Little things like with my pivoted seating position the cable restraint leading from the ear piece aligns perfectly with a dip in the edge of my outer ear and sets the cable firmly against the fleshy part of the earlobe absorbing\diminishing microphonics somewhat leading me to conclude that despite their eccentric appearance a lot of thought has gone into the final design.

Quote:
What I'm getting at is that I can hear how the DDM is ported also plays a part in its unique soundstage. I know this because if I gently press the back part toward the earlobe I lose significant amounts of sound and staging. I take my finger off of it - allowing a wall of air and space - and the soundstage miraculously goes back to its glorious state. So I have learned that the tip you use, the placement of it in your ear canal (if you go too deep you lose some soundstage), and the way the back port is allowing sound to hit your inner earlobe all plays a part in the soundstage and details. Sorry if this doesn't match up with how you guys thought tips affect or don't affect soundstage, but I can only go with what my ears hear my friends. And now I'm getting even more soundstage and more micro details than ever before from the DDM  with the PFE - especially noticeable is the increased details in treble.. Happy listening.

May 25, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #217 of 864

Quote:
They make the stage larger? That is quite odd! Typically on the same phone the smaller the nozzle the smaller the stage compared to a bigger nozzle.

Well, mabybe so.....for you freaks with "normal ears" : )  All kidding aside, many do seem to feel that way, and many don't.  I guess insertion depth and angles of the nozzles and ear canals come into play.

People that don't agree with my opiinon, before you lash out at me, consider how many factors of how you hear an iem, verses speakers, and even headphones, the iem with proper fit and insertion depth, eliminate almost every other factor, so IMO, canal angles, and how they match with an iem nozzle angle (especially the design of the DDM), will make a considerable difference in the results you get with tips.

Of course that's just my opinion, and I may be, well....not wrong

May 25, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #218 of 864
Had a very brief listen with the radius in a hk shop yesterday, they sounded freaking good... better than my coppers in some aspects. The bass has great impact and body and the mids sounded more forward and lush. The only crap thing about these earphones is the fit and design... When i put the earphones on, i have to hold my ipod touch up so theres 0 weight on the cables, a bit of strain on the cables and they drop out... Was soo tempted to get the radius yesterday, but since they can't be used to commute... no point getting them.

May 25, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #219 of 864
LOL Seriously? I must have hideously deformed ears. With the Radius inserted I can have the full weight of my touch dangling by the cable and they don't budge or even lose seal, heck in the name of science I even jumped 6-8 inches off the floor with it dangling and the Radius stayed firmly in my ears and the plug pulled out of the touch. 
Quote:
Had a very brief listen with the radius in a hk shop yesterday, they sounded freaking good... better than my coppers in some aspects. The bass has great impact and body and the mids sounded more forward and lush. The only crap thing about these earphones is the fit and design... When i put the earphones on, i have to hold my ipod touch up so theres 0 weight on the cables, a bit of strain on the cables and they drop out... Was soo tempted to get the radius yesterday, but since they can't be used to commute... no point getting them.

May 25, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #221 of 864
lol, for me the radius won't stay in my ears or maybe i have to use different tips. Did you wear it over the ear or straight down?

May 25, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #222 of 864
Well after a nice evening out at a social networking event, I am back testing tips on the DDM again. My further tests once again confirm that I have been shortchanging the Radius DDM with the Monster hybrid. Those are great tips, but not for the DDM. This is a different beast as I said earlier, and therefore needs the right tips to not tame it, but rein it in a little bit. I can rule out one tip that did nothing for the DDM  at all, the Senn double flange. The three best are as follow (for my ears of course): large Sony hybrid (bluish green I think is the color), gray large PFE and the large Radio Shack Auvio. All three seem to widen the soundstage, extend the treble and add more weight (and separation) to the instrumentation. All three brought out more micro details.

Two are a virtually a tie with various emphasis on the strings of a guitar or more depth on strings orchestra sections, but one  surprisingly stood out in the pact. Which one? To my surprise the cheapest tip sounded the best, the Radio Shack Auvio. Yes, the Auvio has pushed the bass up to near subwoofer like quantity like the Copper and MD, but better quality; even more details in acoustic and electric guitar plucking; and deeper extension and decay in the orchestra strings (way more weight). Also, all three extend the the treble, but the Auvio is a little less of highs extension than the other two, but of course, I can live with that. That's just fine. So I will probably switch between the three, but spend more time with the Auvio. Now, one more thing, for what it's worth, the Auvio tip has the widest opening to expose the nozzle top the most. These DDMs have once again surpassed all of my expectations in sound for price by leaps and bounds. Happy listening. Forgive any typing errors. I'm half sleepy, but had to get these new discovery impressions out.

May 25, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #224 of 864

Tadad,

I must also have some special ears just like you do. I have no problems whatsoever JeFFz  is talking about.
I do believe that the tips that come with the Radius DDM are not very comfortable for me. The comply foam tips I am using makes DDM sit tight and pretty in my ear canal. I posted a picture in the other Radius DDM thread.

Quote:
I wear them straight down with large Sony Hybrids.

May 25, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #225 of 864
Yes, it was your photos that got me over my fit concerns enough to press the "Buy" button so thank you for that.

Quote:
Tadad,

I must also have some special ears just like you do. I have no problems whatsoever JeFFz  is talking about.
I do believe that the tips that come with the Radius DDM are not very comfortable for me. The comply foam tips I am using makes DDM sit tight and pretty in my ear canal. I posted a picture in the other Radius DDM thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back