Radius HP-TWF11r Review and Impressions thread
May 25, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #226 of 864

Quote:

Ace8888,
If you have read posts here on this thread already, you must have an idea what this DDM sound like. Next step is to audition this in person, no other way around. Unless you try them, you can only speculate how will earphones suite your needs.
I personally like DDM and UM3X, as well as e-Q7, but it varies and all depend on the mood I am in and all that goes with it.
DDM are my favorites among Dynamic drivers. I still prefer e-Q7 over all other BA type drivers out there.

P.S. I do not work out but I do walk/jug quite a lot and I have no problem what so ever with the seal. I guess it all depends on the way you wear them and what ear-tips you will be using. I am using comply foam and those work nice for my ears.

If you are in the USA, you can get Radius DDM from ALO audio and in case you do not like them, you can try exchanging for another pair of IEMs, I believe. The person in charge, Ken, is a great dealer.!! 
Hope this helps.

http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_66_89&products_id=438

Thanks for the info yello131, too bad I don't have to luxury to try these before hand as I currently live outside the states. Will try accessoryjack since they have lower price and great ratings as well. Thanks again.

Ace8888

May 25, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #227 of 864

Quote:

Thanks for the info yello131, too bad I don't have to luxury to try these before hand as I currently live outside the states. Will try accessoryjack since they have lower price and great ratings as well. Thanks again.

Ace8888

Hey just sent you PM,  on accesoryjack the price isn't actually the lowest, as far as I remember. Where are you located at?

May 25, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #229 of 864
Joeybuckets,

Quote:
where can i purchase these in the US?

In the USA, from ALO AUDIO, the guy's name is Ken,

http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_66_89&products_id=438

I got it from ebay dealer, ships to US in 3-4 days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-TWF11-Radius-W-Pro-DDM-in-ear-headphones-NEW-/220597517522?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item335ca2fcd2

May 25, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #230 of 864
After reading through a ton of info, I've decided that I want to cop a pair of these over the FX700's and this is coming from a satisfied owner of a pair of FX500's. Eric said it best, upgraditis is certainly irresistible :l Anywho, so does accessoryjack have the cheapest price for these phones? I see them listed at $150 with $10 shipping. 

Also, I see that Shigzeo mentions that a new model of these phones is going to hit this summer. Is this still accurate? I may just hold off since the new model seems to be much more fit oriented and seems to be of a more robust build quality, and not to mention looks quite a bit better. :l

May 25, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #232 of 864

Quote:
Really a new model this summer? anybody can confirm this?

I read that little bit on Shigzeo's review over at Touchmyapps. It was written on May 14th so that was very recent. 

May 25, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #233 of 864

Quote:
After reading through a ton of info, I've decided that I want to cop a pair of these over the FX700's and this is coming from a satisfied owner of a pair of FX500's. Eric said it best, upgraditis is certainly irresistible :l Anywho, so does accessoryjack have the cheapest price for these phones? I see them listed at $150 with $10 shipping. 

Also, I see that Shigzeo mentions that a new model of these phones is going to hit this summer. Is this still accurate? I may just hold off since the new model seems to be much more fit oriented and seems to be of a more robust build quality, and not to mention looks quite a bit better. :l

Idsynchrono,
This subject was already discussed on this thread I believe. But no, no body knows when the new model will come out.  This current version just came out in January in Japan. No manufacturer will launch simultaneously two models of their flagship IEMs back to back. My bet it will be next year, not earlier.

May 25, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #234 of 864

Quote:
Well, mabybe so.....for you freaks with "normal ears" : )  All kidding aside, many do seem to feel that way, and many don't.  I guess insertion depth and angles of the nozzles and ear canals come into play.

People that don't agree with my opiinon, before you lash out at me, consider how many factors of how you hear an iem, verses speakers, and even headphones, the iem with proper fit and insertion depth, eliminate almost every other factor, so IMO, canal angles, and how they match with an iem nozzle angle (especially the design of the DDM), will make a considerable difference in the results you get with tips.

Of course that's just my opinion, and I may be, well....not wrong

@search , love that last comment about you not being wrong search 
popcorn.gif

May 26, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #235 of 864
Quote:
They make the stage larger? That is quite odd! Typically on the same phone the smaller the nozzle the smaller the stage compared to a bigger nozzle.

At least with dynamics.  But my recent experiences have been sometimes counter-intuitive to that.  I do know there are many ways the nozzle size opening changes sound.  The changes are primarily in the treble, but also if there are abrupt size differences between the IEM opening and tip opening, that can cause peaks and dips in the frequency range.

Quote:
Well, mabybe so.....for you freaks with "normal ears" : )  All kidding aside, many do seem to feel that way, and many don't.  I guess insertion depth and angles of the nozzles and ear canals come into play.

People that don't agree with my opiinon, before you lash out at me, consider how many factors of how you hear an iem, verses speakers, and even headphones, the iem with proper fit and insertion depth, eliminate almost every other factor, so IMO, canal angles, and how they match with an iem nozzle angle (especially the design of the DDM), will make a considerable difference in the results you get with tips.

Of course that's just my opinion, and I may be, well....not wrong

Quote:
@search , love that last comment about you not being wrong search 
popcorn.gif

Yea, search is a funny guy.  And I completely agree that angle, depth, tip nozzle size, seal, and tip material all play into how someone hears an IEM.  And that is not taking into consideration anatomical differences between people, source differences, music listened to, bitrate, and of course preference.

May 26, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #239 of 864
So far on each passing day with the DDM I am discovering that it is a peculiar audio beast. Yes, the silicon tips did change the soundstage and details I heard quite a bit - as said a few posts earlier - enhancing especially the lower mids and all the highs, but I soon found that my favorite for doing this (Auvio-Radio Shack) significantly cut the bass out for me. Yes, bass was still there, but not in the quantities I had become accustomed to with the FX700 (IE8 even) and subwoofer-like bass of the Copper and Miles Davis.

The PFE and Sony hybrid added more bass, but it still was a bit shallow for me. Now, the dilemma was should I go back to my favorite tips of all in general - the Monster foam/silicon hybrid? The Monster tip gave me the best bass in quality and quantity and mids were decent, but it significantly cut out the highs. What to do, what to do?

Then I thought about something, I was using the medium/small Monster hybrid tips. For some reason, depending on the earphone, My ear canals are able to accept small to large tips without any problem. This is especially true with the Monster tips. So I thought to myself, why not try another experiment and put the large Monster hybrid onto the DDM and just see what happens? Those Monster hybrids come in large and large-large! I wasn't ready for the super large!!

So, I tried the large and yes!! Bass was not only back, but now even more closer to the FX700 bass, and at times sounding a bit sub-woofer-ish bass like the Copper and MD, but with way more clarity. But, the larger tip also kept the lower mids nice (important for great 3D imaging of strings; gave better separation of vocals and instrumentation; and kept most of the details of the highs (not as much as with the silicons, but way more than with the shorter hybrids, and more than I actually require). And with these large hybrids, I don't have to do such a deep insertion (can't with these anyway), but the tips seal the ear canals off nicely and still hold the DDM in place. Again, I'm not a scientist or engineer, so I can't explain why these tips are working for me in the way they have so far, but I'm very satisfied that I have all these sound options at this point, and this has increased the valued of the Radius DDM for me. Oh, I have definitely learned that the same tips combination doesn't apply to the FX700 at all. It's almost opposite in some cases.

May 26, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #240 of 864
eric-
Too funny... eartip selection can most definitely be polar opposite sometimes, depending on the fit of the earphones involved. I found that to be true of the TF10's and IE8's.. they each worked better with the other's tips! You just never know what will work which is why it pays huge dividends to experiment with all your tips on hand when you get a new IEM. I will surely try every tip I have for large nozzle earphones when I get the DDM's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back