Radius HP-TWF11r Review and Impressions thread
May 17, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #61 of 864

Quote:
Haha it's actually just "Dual Diaphragm Matrix" on the box, whatever that means. I like to think though, it could mean "Dual Driver Monster"! For the costs of the earphones they really are quite amazing. You may find them to be like the strange bizarro world cousin of the RE0's in that they kind of do for bass what the RE0's do for treble.

I think they are easily worth the extra over the RE0. They are actually more detailed/resolving and just plain better bass through mids. I also like the treble better. They treble is differently presented since the the Radius is kinda like bass, mids, treble sandwich instead of other dynamic single drivers, which are a more linear bass->mids->treble in presentation. IMO, if the Radius treble were as in the spotlight by itself more like the RE0 it is every bit as good. Though it kinda reminds me of a cross between the RE0 and RE252 treble as how it is presented. Thing is how well blended it is. Never really jumps out nor does it ever fade too much out of view. Always easy to shift focus there if you want.

Quote:
These seem to have opened up even more over the weekend and I have to say I'm completely bowled over and bewitched by them now. I can lose myself in music like never before such is their depth and three dimensionality. They really are a quantum leap forward over what I've been used to.

I was waiting for that statement from you since you. You had just gotten them and gave a quick impression vs the bass of the HJE900. The bass comes into it full bloom after some run in but is still solid out of the package.

Quote:
So if I got this right when you put them in the ear it's only the tips that go in and none or not much of the housing right? I can handle a bad cable esp if I don't plan to use it outside but if it fits anything like the TF10 then that's not something I can live with. Also if anyone has the e-Q7 or CK10 or similarly phones hows the treble detail on these compared to those

The real question is how long can I resist these :p

Having had the TF10, these are not them. Fit is subjective but you can figure out if they will work well for you or not. For me they don't stick out like the UE but hug the ear. I can lay on a soft pillow with them. What's good is, outside they block wind with their design unlike other ported designs which will whistle in the wind. I find they have very little microphonics for an normal(non-over) design and they are quite light. I find I fiddle with these less after the initial fit less than the CK10.

Speaking of the CK10 and the treble detail, I think the treble detail is right on par though I don't have the CK10 to A/B. There is no doubt that overall the DDM is more detailed.

Quote:
I have a pair of eQ7 and I loved the CK10 (bought in 2008). Treble detail as such is high in all three models, but treble as a frequency sticks out more on the CK10 and the eQ7. Overall detail levels are higher in the DDM, but detail is captured mostly in mid and low texture. The Q7 is more 'detailed' than the CK10 in its bass for sure, even gaining a bit of tactility, but the CK10 is perhaps smoother. I'd choose the DDM over either one for sound preference however. It has good treble, but it isn't spiked for the ear's alteration.

The CK10 is smoother and more open/separated. The the DDM is still bigger, more detailed, more dynamic and more true. The CK10 tries to open everything up, every recording, every source and applies/keeps it's sound signature. The DDM is more "dynamic" as in changing with certain recordings, amps, sources and changing/accepting what's before it. The most dynamic earphone out there maybe as far as that definition. Even tracks from the same album which sound similar with other earphones are taken by the DDM and rendered differently as if you can now tell "this was recorded on another session, the levels are different". How it does this when others can't is interesting and unique. Outside of individual recordings, I think the DDM is very true to source and can be matched to source/amp predictably and with good results. Pinkmoon1972 has an Icon mobile and I know that would be a great match for how I would like to tailor the DDM how I would exactly want. 

May 17, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #62 of 864
@jant- very interesting post. I havent really experimented much with the Radius and my icon mobile yet, Ive been so impressed with them straight out of my sansa fuze, Ive just been kind of glued to my chair, transfixed with a big grin on my face so far.
I definitely agree these are well worth the extra over RE0 ( big understatement) I loved the RE0's for what they did best, but their lack of bass and body was just ridiculous at times when the music clearly called for it. HJE900's are, to me, much more satisfying overall than RE0, but now the Radius has taken things to a whole new level.

May 17, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #63 of 864

Quote:
Could someone point me in the right direction as to where to purchase these? (I have search through Google and found a couple of places, but have not ordered much from Japan so I do not know who is reputable.) I am in the US btw if that makes the recommedation easier.

Thanks.

Toidcans,
I bought mine off ebay for 169USD from seller who is a Japanese dealer. He offers free shipping and warranty as well.
also, I heard in the USA, there is a dealer who sells this at ALO AUDIO. You should contact Ken, I believe, from ALO and inquiry.

http://www.aloaudio.com/store/

May 17, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #64 of 864

Quote:

Toidcans,
I bought mine off ebay for 169USD from seller who is a Japanese dealer. He offers free shipping and warranty as well.
also, I heard in the USA, there is a dealer who sells this at ALO AUDIO. You should contact Ken, I believe, from ALO and inquiry.

http://www.aloaudio.com/store/

I confirmed with Ken and the price is $170 for these IEMs(Radius HP-TWF11R).

May 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #65 of 864
I might be able to test these out today!! Does anyone (perhaps a Japanese headfier) know or can recommend other places besides Yodobashi where I might be able to audition headphones, in Osaka?

May 17, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #68 of 864
$170 from ALO. That's not a bad price considering the store. They usually put a higher premium than that.

@jant71: thanks for the answers. I still have to make up my mind but I think using isolating phones when isolation isn't needed probably isn't ideal...or at least that's a good reason to buy more stuff. I got 2 phones coming in so will wait until afterward so should be around a month.

May 17, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #70 of 864

Quote:
I am really looking forward to Eric's impression and comparison between the Radius and his FX-700, e-Q7, and the Miles Davis, when he receives them tomorrow...

koonhua if I don't have these Radius DDMs in my ears by tomorrow afternoon, you will hear me screaming all the way in Malaysia!! lol. I don't know how much of a detailed first impression I'm going to be able to give you with the DDM, FX700, e-Q7 and Miles Davis, but I will definitely give you some first impressions compared to the FX700, since these are one of the few IEMs I really liked straight out of the box. But from what I've read here, it seems like it took a day or two for the DDM to shine for most owners. I'm good, however, at picking out potential even if the earphone doesn't reveal its full self upon first listen. This ought to be interesting.
beerchug.gif

May 17, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #71 of 864
Well you don't have to go all the way to Malaysia, as I'm studying in Pittsburgh...tough times, taking tonnes of classes in summer now to make my double major a reality. Whether I might plop another 150 on this before my custom will depend on your impression. 
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #72 of 864
Welcome to the USA buddy!! 
beerchug.gif

May 18, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #74 of 864
....I'm getting to the point where I can't resist plunking down yet another $150 myself. Seems a veritable bargain compared to the likes of the MD's & FX700's. And if the sound is a step up, they would have to be one of the biggest sound/$$ values on the market right now. 

........m-u-s-t........ r-e-s-i-s-t.......... 

May 18, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #75 of 864

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated and become one with the DDM collective.  

Quote:
....I'm getting to the point where I can't resist plunking down yet another $150 myself. Seems a veritable bargain compared to the likes of the MD's & FX700's. And if the sound is a step up, they would have to be one of the biggest sound/$$ values on the market right now. 

........m-u-s-t........ r-e-s-i-s-t.......... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back